A major outage has left Virgin Media customers across the UK unable to use their television services
Virgin Media has confirmed a mass outage has left UK viewers unable to watch their television services, following a nationwide error.
The company confirmed the outage lasted around ten hours, which was understood to be triggered by a network power failure.
The issue began at about 10:30 GMT prompting thousands of viewers to report problems.
The firm told customers its engineers were trying to fix the problem, which hit cities across the UK, including London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Virgin issues apology for outage
Virgin Media apologised, and said it would fix it “as soon as possible”.
The issue had been caused by “a major power outage”, the firm said.
The website Downdetector which tracks outages received more than 18,000 reports of problems at one point.
Many users tweeted their annoyance at the loss of service, and the way in which Virgin Media communicated: “Can you update please? No TV. Your status page down. No info on phone lines,” wrote one customer.
The company said it had identified the fault and its engineers were working “flat-out” to fix the issue.
At 13:45 GMT Virgin Media stated: “We have now restored several channels with customers able to watch BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, ITV+1 and Channel 4. TV360 customers are also able to access apps on their box,” the firm wrote.
Customers however have taken to social media, slamming the company for the duration of the error – calling for refunds.
Virgin Media responded to those requests, advising customers to fill out an online compensation form.
Ukraine suspects group linked to Belarus in cyberattack
Kyiv believes a hacker group linked to Belarusian intelligence carried out a cyberattack that hit Ukrainian government websites this week
The group used malware similar to that used by one tied to Russian intelligence, a senior Ukrainian security official said.
Kyiv believes a cyberattack that hit Ukrainian government websites this week was carried out by a hacker group linked to Belarusian intelligence, according to a senior Ukrainian security official.
The attack used malware similar to that used by a group tied to Russian intelligence, defacing government websites with threatening messages.
Serhiy Demedyuk, deputy secretary of the national security and defense council, told Reuters that Ukraine blamed Friday’s attack on a group known as UNC1151, adding that the attack was cover for more destructive actions behind the scenes.
The attack splashed websites with a warning to “be afraid and expect the worst” at a time when Russia has amassed troops near Ukraine’s borders, and Kyiv and Washington fear Moscow is planning a new military assault on Ukraine.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki:
“We have information that indicates Russia has already prepositioned a group of operatives to conduct a false flag operation in eastern Ukraine. The operatives are trained in urban warfare and is using explosives to carry out acts of sabotage against Russia’s own proxy forces. Our information also indicates that Russian influence actors are already starting to fabricate Ukrainian provocations in state and social media to justify a Russian intervention.”
Russia has dismissed such fears as “unfounded”.
Meanwhile, Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly is set to travel to Ukraine’s capitol, Kyiv, next week to reaffirm support for Ukrainian sovereignty and to reinforce efforts to deter “aggressive actions” by Russia, according to Ottawa on Saturday.
Joly released a statement, saying in part (quote):
“The amassing of Russian troops and equipment in and around Ukraine jeopardizes security in the entire region. These aggressive actions must be deterred.”
Canada, with a sizeable and politically influential population of Ukrainian descent, has taken a hard line with Moscow since the annexation of Crimea in 2014 – imposing punitive measures on more than 440 individuals and entities.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office said that he spoke to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Tuesday and “emphasized that any military incursion into Ukraine would have serious consequences, including coordinated sanctions.’
Apple becomes world’s first $3 trillion company
Apple has become the first US company to hit $3 trillion in market capitalisation
The tech giant has praised investor confidence that the iPhone maker will keep launching best-selling products.
The company is exploring new markets such as automated cars and the metaverse.
On the first day of trading in 20-22, the company’s shares hit a record of $182USD in mid-day trading.
It’s the first to reach the milestone as investors bet that consumers will continue to shell out top dollar for products.
Apple now accounts for around 7 percent of the S&P 500, which is up from as little as 5 percent in June and back in line with where it started 2021.
YouTube reaches deal with Disney amid rocky negotiations
YouTube has reached a deal with Walt Disney to distribute all Disney-owned channels on its platform
YouTube has reached a deal with the Walt Disney Company to distribute all Disney-owned channels on streaming service, YouTube TV.
The agreement comes two days after talks broke down and led to a blackout.
As a result of the deal being reached, YouTube stated that the monthly price had reverted back to $64.99.
The streamer, owned by Google’s Alphabet company, dropped the price to $49.99 earlier, after initial talks broke down.
“We are pleased to announce that after a brief disruption, we have reached a new distribution agreement with Google’s YouTube TV for continued carriage of our portfolio of networks,” Disney said in a statement. “We appreciate Google’s collaboration to reach fair terms that are consistent with the market, and we’re thrilled that our robust lineup of live sports and news plus kids, family and general entertainment programming is in the process of being restored to YouTube TV subscribers across the country.
YouTube TV said that it has started to restore access to the Disney-owned properties on its service, including local ABC stations, which will return “over the course of the day.”
YouTube TV stated that those who have cancelled their subscription due to losing access to Disney-owned channels, “hopes to welcome them back” due the agreement.
Singing legend Meat Loaf dies
Tonga welcomes more foreign aid as recovery continues
Alec Baldwin hit with massive $25M defamation lawsuit
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Move over Dogecoin, SHIB coin is here
Australia blocks UNESCO from ruling the Great Barrier Reef as “in danger” from climate change
Trending on Ticker
Sport2 days ago
Novak Djokovic $6m lawsuit against Australia
Business3 days ago
The international airlines suspending US flights
Sport19 hours ago
REVEALED: reasoning behind Novak Djokovic visa decision
World2 days ago
New images show Tonga coated in ash
Business2 days ago
IRS to require facial recognition in order to file and pay taxes
World3 days ago
First images of ‘unprecedented disaster’
Media2 days ago
Marvel actor killed in skiing accident
Media13 hours ago
Alec Baldwin hit with massive $25M defamation lawsuit