Connect with us

Business

Vatican investigation comes to historic conclusion

Published

on

Following an official investigation that was approved by Pope Francis, the Vatican has charged 10 people with embezzlement, extortion and fraud

The president of the Vatican’s criminal tribunal handed down the indictments to the 10 individuals at the weekend.

One of the 10 that has been charged includes a high-ranking cardinal who was formerly tasked with naming saints.

This cardinal was specifically accused of embezzlement and abuse of office. 

It follows reports last year that he wired $100,000 euros to his brother’s charity and urged Italian bishops to make a further $300,000 donation.

The Vatican has also announced that four companies, including one US-based firm, have also been charged with fraud and embezzlement.

It follows Pope Francis ordering a probe back in October last year, saying the investigation was aimed at “monitoring movements of money and of intervening in cases where irregular or even criminal activities are detected.”

The accused will now be brought before the Vatican’s criminal tribunal for prosecution and defence from July 27.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

2500 employees to be stood down from Qantas

Published

on

About 2500 frontline Qantas and Jetstar employees will be stood down for two months

BREAKING NEWS

It comes as the airline struggles to deal with lockdowns in states across Australia.

The national carrier says the stand-down is a temporary measure to deal with a drop in flying caused by COVID restrictions in Sydney, – which is its home base.

No job losses are expected as part of the move.

QANTAS CEO ALAN JOYCE

In a statement, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce says:

“This is clearly the last thing we want to do, but we’re now faced with an extended period of reduced flying and that means no work for a number of our people.”

“We’ve absorbed a significant amount of cost since these recent lockdowns started and continued paying our people their full rosters despite thousands of cancelled flights.“

Qantas said it welcomed the targeted Federal Government support offered for those stood down outside of declared hotspots and to retain domestic aviation capability.

Continue Reading

Business

Outside the square – Twitter CEO’s grand plans for Afterpay

Published

on

Jack Dorsey has used Square’s quarterly earnings call to outline his company’s future and convince shareholders to support the $39billion dollar Afterpay takeover bid

Dorsey believes bringing Afterpay into business operations will increase e-commerce activity across both platforms and further entice young shoppers to spend up.

It plans to takeover Afterpay in a deal that values the Australian company at $39 billion. That makes it the biggest buyout deal so far in Australian corporate history.

The Twitter founder says Afterpay has a unique advantage in the buy now, pay later sector because it was the first on the scene and it has been built up “authentically”.

SQAURE WILL ACQUIRE AFTERPAY IN A 39 BILLION DOLLAR DEAL

Dorsey says Afterpay was “extremely early in this space and helped define a lot of it, and really raised the bar for what everyone else doing – we were impressed by the vision, the ambition and the entrepreneurship”.

Following the takeover announcement, Square’s shares fell by 5 percent when compared with trading on Friday, as investors made sense of the deal.

However, after Dorsey’s pitch at the quarterly earnings call, Squares shares were up 6 percent from Friday.

It comes as shareholders voice their concerns that Square is failing to bring merchants and retail users together… and questioning how Afterpay will create value for the company.

James Whelan of VFS Group weighed in on whether Afterpay is in fact authentic.

Continue Reading

Business

‘Jungle Cruise’ tallies $34.2 million in domestic debut, reaches Disney+ record

Published

on

After Disney struggled during the past few weeks, the studios latest feature film “Jungle Cruise” opened to $61 million dollars worldwide.

The film was also released on Disney Plus’ Premier Access and brought in over $30 million globally on the platform.

Overall, the film, which is based on the beloved Disney theme park ride, notched more than $90 million.

The “Jungle Cruise” opening is also notable because it comes just a few days after Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney.

Author

  • Jack is a journalist and producer at Ticker NEWS. He's previously worked for digital media publications in Australia and the US. Jack is particularly interested in reporting on international affairs and sport.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd