Connect with us

Tech

Tokyo 2020: is it possible to hack the Olympic Games?

Published

on

Experts are concerned that cyber hackers will take aim at the upcoming 20-21 Tokyo Olympic Games

Cybersecurity experts are raising the alarm that hackers may zero in on the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

The warnings follow numerous and high-profile cyberattacks over the past 12-months, some of which have taken companies’ infrastructure completely offline.

Speaking to The Hill, the Cyber Threat Alliance says “the Olympics are a huge opportunity for a country, in this case, Japan, to put its best foot forward, to show off”

The CTA warns:

“Any nation-state that is not aligned with Japan may see an opportunity here to try to embarrass Japan through a cyberattack”.

In a report published last year, the CTA details a number of potential cybersecurity threats against the 20-21 games, including disinformation, ransomware attacks and data leaks.

Back in 20-18, the Winter Olympics were subject to this type of attack, when Russian hackers infiltrated the Olympic networks prior to the opening ceremony.

The hackers managed to slow down the entry of spectators, took WiFi networks offline and tampered with the broadcast.

Should we be worried about Russian hackers targeting the games?

Russia is certainly viewed as one of the biggest threat to the games when it comes to this issue.

A representative from cybersecurity group FireEye says “as far as the cyber risks go, I think the most important threat is the risk of disruption by Russian actors.”

The games are due to kick off on July 23.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly ticker Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Tech

TICKER NEWS is available on podcast apps

Published

on

For the first time, TICKER NEWS is now available on podcast apps, allowing you to hear the latest news, plus special programs

TICKER NEWS is now available as a podcast.

You can catch up on the latest news, or programs devoted to special topics including U.S. politics and TICKER AIR.

TICKER CEO Ahron Young says:

“TICKER always puts the story first. Video is in our DNA, but we want TICKER content to be available however our audience wants to enjoy it.”

“We are putting significant resources into TICKER content to make sure we get to the heart of the stories we cover.”

TICKER AIR is one of the podcasts available from TICKER

The first podcast to air is TICKER AIR, cohosted by Ahron Young and Geoffrey Thomas from Airlineratings.com

Every day, two full world news bulletins will be available, as well as three special documentary programs.

TICKER podcasts are available daily on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts. Just search TICKER NEWS to subscribe.

APPLE PODCAST – https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/ticker-news/id1632145760

SPOTIFY – https://open.spotify.com/show/3iidnXUXPDVWG2QMEhN0Kt?si=e2e195a8ee584fa6

Continue Reading

Business

Big tech stocks tumble amid market uncertainty

Published

on

Big tech companies are struggling in the markets this quarter as interest rates rise to battle inflation

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has devalued tech stocks causing further supply chain disruptions and sending the broad S&P 500 index down about 5 per cent.

Rising interest rates triggered more severe plummets with the S&P dropping another 16 per cent and the Nasdaq Composite index by 22 per cent.

Tesla’s stock took a huge hit sinking to nearly 38 per cent its largest decline since 2010.

Amazon saw similar results falling by 35 per cent the most in over 20 years.

Continue Reading

Business

Google to pay millions to app developers

Published

on

App developers are accusing Google of tempting users into making in-app purchases.

The lawsuit relates to money that was made by app creators for Android smartphones.

The lawsuit was filed in a San Francisco court, where the 48,000 app developers are believed to have been affected.

“Following our win against Apple for similar conduct, we think this pair of settlements sends a strong message to big tech: the law is watching, and even the most powerful companies in the world are accountable when they stifle competition.”

Steve Berman, ATTORNEY FOR the Android developers.

Google says the settlement’s funds will support developers who have made less than USD $2 million in revenue between 2016 and 2021.

“A vast majority of U.S. developers who earned revenue through Google Play will be eligible to receive money from this fund, if they choose,” the company says.

Google says it will charge developers a 15 per cent commission on their first million in revenue.

The court is yet to approve the proposed settlement.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD