After missing the first two races of the season, Sebastian Vettel will be returning to the Australian Grand Prix
The four-time champion has had just under a month’s break from his Aston Martin AMR22, but says that this race will be a learning experience.
Vettel tested positive for covid-19 in March, with reserve driver Nico Hulkenberg taking his place at the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix.
The F1 star has now recovered but says his return to the competition in Melbourne feels like turning up “late to school”.
Vettel says “after nearly a month out of the car, it will be important to learn throughout the practice sessions, and I hope we can take some steps forward in what is usually an exciting and unpredictable race”.
The athlete is keen to get going again, saying it’s great that Formula 1 is returning after a turbulent couple of years.
Australian Grand Prix
This comes as the Australian Grand Prix kicks off on Thursday, with thousands of spectators expected to flock to the course.
There is high anticipation for who will claim this years victory, but after a rough few years of the pandemic, Melbourne is happy to have the Grand Prix back on their soil.
Rafa Nadal pulls out of French Open
The Spaniard has failed to regain full fitness from a hip injury sustained earlier this year
Rafa Nadal has delivered news that no tennis fan wanted to hear.
The King of Clay will miss the French Open after failing to regain full fitness from a hip injury suffered at the Australian Open back in January.
The 14-time Roland Garros winner says he expects to retire following the 2024 season.
Nadal has dominated the clay court season for close to two decades.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion fronted a widely anticipated press conference at his tennis academy in Mallorca to drop the bombshell, saying its the right thing to do for his body and personal happiness.
“I’ll look to be 100% ready for next year, which I believe will be the last year of my professional career,” Nadal told a news conference at his tennis academy in Mallorca, Spain.
“The evolution of the injury I sustained in Australia has not gone as I would have liked. I have lost goals along the way, and Roland Garros becomes impossible.”
“I’ll not establish a date for my return. I’ll see how my body responds and take it from there,” said the 36-year-old. “If I keep playing at this moment, I don’t think I can be there next year.
“I don’t know if I’ll be able to come back in the highest level and compete for Grand Slams. What I will try to do is to give myself the opportunity to go back to what could be my final year competing at the highest level.”
China expresses concerns about ‘politicisation of sports’
The East Asian nation raised the issue when Premier Li met with the head of the IOC, Thomas Bach
China has expressed concerns to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) about the politicisation of sporting events.
The issue was raised when Chinese Premier Li Qiang met Thomas Bach, the head of the IOC, in Beijing over the weekend.
“China’s efforts to promote the Olympic spirit will never cease, and [China is] ready to work with IOC to oppose the politicisation of sports, and make further contributions to the Olympic movement,” Li said.
It is rare for China to raise such concerns with the IOC in public, and it was the first time it had made such comments since the Winter Olympics in Beijing early last year.
The United States and several of its allies took part in a diplomatic boycott of the Games, citing alleged human rights abuse in China’s far west region of Xinjiang.
Beijing has repeatedly denied the accusation and said it opposes any attempts to politicise sporting events.
Tasmanian AFL team becomes reality
Tasmania will have a team in the AFL after all 18 current teams agreed to the motion
An exciting day for residents of the Australian state of Tasmania today.
Outgoing AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan confirming Tasmania has been granted the league’s 19th licence.
It follows the nation’s federal government confirming it will cover the $240 million shortfall to fund a new multi-purpose stadium at Macquarie Point.
This has long been viewed as Tasmania’s most significant hurdle for entry into the league.
All 18 clubs supported the state’s bid, before the AFL Commission agreed to a formal ratification.
McLachlan fronted a press conference at North Hobart Oval, alongside Premier Jeremy Rockliff, Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles and a whole host of players.
The CEO says the decision “will finally make [the] competitions truly national”. #trending #featured
Cybersecurity experts on the best ways to protect your business
Revolutionising property ownership with property syndication
How Ukraine succeeds in attacking Russian military targets
Crypto.com accidentally transfers $10.5m to woman instead of $100
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Russia has cancelled itself. But the world should beware of poking the Russian bear￼
News3 days ago
OpenAI’s ChatGPT can now see, hear, and speak
News5 days ago
Who is PewDiePie and what’s his net worth?
News6 days ago
The rise of the apologetic CEO
News5 days ago
Elon Musk raves about “next-level” Tesla Cybertruck performance
Money5 days ago
Tinder introduces $500 monthly VIP subscription fee
Money3 days ago
Chinese youth swap LinkedIn for Tinder to find a job
Money3 days ago
What is the future of investing?
News15 hours ago
Elon Musk on Philadelphia looting: ‘America resembles the Joker’