Connect with us

World

Iranian man charged with with plotting to assassinate top U.S. diplomat

Published

on

Criminal charges have been filed against a man for allegedly trying to assassinate John Bolton

The U.S. Justice Department has charged 45-year-old Shahram Poursafi, for planning to murder President Donald Trump’s former National Security Advisor.

U.S. authorities believe the man was motivated to kill John Bolton after the death of a commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The commander, Qassem Soleimani, was killed in a U.S. drone strike in January 2020.

At the time, the terrorist organisation said they will take “revenge against Americans”.

“I wish to thank the Justice Department for initiating the criminal proceeding unsealed today; the FBI for its diligence in discovering and tracking the Iranian regime’s criminal threat to American citizens; and the Secret Service for providing protection against Tehran’s efforts.”

JOHN BOLTON

Prosecutors believe Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps wanted to pay USD 300,000 to an individual in order to kill Bolton.

It’s understood the Former Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo was also the target of a second assassination plot, with a USD 1 million bounty on offer.

“Iran strongly warns against any action against Iranian citizens under the pretext of these ridiculous and baseless accusations.”

Nasser Kanaani, IRAN’S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESperson

Iran does not have an extradition treaty with the U.S. Poursafi remains at large, and is wanted by the FBI.

John Bolton held senior national security positions under Presidents George Bush and Trump.

Costa is a news producer at ticker NEWS. He has previously worked as a regional journalist at the Southern Highlands Express newspaper. He also has several years' experience in the fire and emergency services sector, where he has worked with researchers, policymakers and local communities. He has also worked at the Seven Network during their Olympic Games coverage and in the ABC Melbourne newsroom. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Professional), with expertise in journalism, politics and international relations. His other interests include colonial legacies in the Pacific, counter-terrorism, aviation and travel.

Climate Change

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm

Published

on

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm as it continues north towards South Carolina

U.S. President Joe Biden says Hurricane Ian could be the deadliest storm in the region’s history, with early reports suggesting substantial loss of life.

Biden spoke at an afternoon briefing at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema).

Ian made landfall on Wednesday local time near the city of Fort Myers. It has led to severe flooding, high winds and storm surges.

Several areas remain submerged, and more than 2.5 million homes are without power.

Many residents are trapped in their homes and unable to escape. Search and rescue teams are working around the clock to provide assistance where they can.

5,000 Florida National Guard troops and 2,000 Guardsman from surrounding states have been deployed.

Eight teams with 800 members are carrying out search and rescue operations.

More than 200 public shelters have now been opened, housing around 34,000 people.

The National Hurricane Centre has downgraded Ian to a tropical storm for now but warns it will likely become a hurricane again later.

The entire coast of South Carolina is just the latest region to be placed on high alert as the storm continues north on its path of destruction.

Continue Reading

World

Finland slams its borders shut on Russia

Published

on

Finland will officially closed its border to Russian tourists, marking the last of Moscow’s E-U neighbours to do so.

Finland will close its border with Russia as Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania also closed theirs.

The Finnish government made the decision following Vladimir Putin’s decision to call-up of 300,000 military reservists.

Queue’s at Russia’s border crossings with E-U nations were stretching for kilometres as people attempted to flee the country.

The closure of the border only applies to tourists – and Russians who are visiting family or travelling for work or study will still be granted entry.

The Finnish Foreign Minister stated that the decision was a difficult one to make, but ultimately it was in the best interest of the country.

Continue Reading

World

Queen’s death certificate has been released

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II’s death certificate has been released, and reveals Her Majesty died of old age.

The document, signed by Queen’s daughter Princess Anne, says Queen Elizabeth II passed away peacefully at 3:10 p.m. on September 8.

The 96 year old was surrounded by family at Balmoral Castle in Scotland as she took her final breaths.

Now laid to rest in St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, Queen Elizabeth II’s period of national mourning has concluded.

When she was alive there was a curtain of privacy around the Queen’s health, and in her death there remains some restraint.

Her cause of death is recorded as “old age”, without any further details.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD