Connect with us

World

Rolling Coverage: Documenting the conflict in Gaza

Published

on

One week ago today, at 7 AM AEST the situation in Gaza was at breaking point, with the United Nations warning that the violence may turn into a “full scale war”.

Ahmed Abu Hameeda

At this time, militants in Gaza had fired over 1,000 rockets into Israel, with airlines either suspending or diverting planes over fears they would be shot down.

103 Palestinians and seven Israelis had been killed, as Israel’s military moved troops towards the border and prepared for “all eventualities”.

SITUATION ESCALATES

At 7:22 AM, news began to break that Israel had officially invaded Gaza, after a tweet was posted by the country’s defence force saying that its air and ground troops had been deployed, and were attacking the Gaza Strip.

At 8:30 AM, Ticker News launched into rolling coverage as we tried to make sense of the situation in the Middle East and provide our viewers with comprehensive updates.

We would later find out that Israel had, in fact, not invaded the Gaza Strip. Nevertheless, the country was still launching intensive attacks from the border. A breakdown in communication was to blame for the confusion.

EXPERT WEIGHS IN

At 10 AM AEST, we were joined by Andray Domise from McLean’s Magazine who was reporting on the unfolding crisis from Canada.

Demise was calling on US President Joe Biden to step in and take immediate action to prevent a war from errupting.

Demise said the events the world was witnessing in the Gaza region were reminiscent to those during the Intifada Rebellion.

The Intifada Rebellion was an uprising of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip with the aim of challenging Israel’s control.

ONE WEEK LATER

This morning, at 9:00 AM AEST (2:00 AM local time), a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas was officially enacted, bringing an end to the violence.

Footage flooded social media showing residents in Gaza taking to the streets and cheering with joy as a sense of calm was restored in the Middle East.

But despite the halting of rocket fire, tensions in and around the Gaza Strip remain at an all-time high.

So what’s next? Andray Demise joined us again and argued peace won’t be restored in the region until Israel’s Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu and his government leave politics.

AS THE DUST SETTLES

But as the dust settles and the ceasefire continues to do its job, it is important to reflect on the 11 days of violence which saw thousands of rockets fired, numerous citizens displaced and many people killed.

The impact of the conflict has been described as the worst in decades. It began on May 10, with tensions brought to a head when worshipers clashed at a holy site revered by both Muslims and Jews.

At least 232 people have lost their lives in Gaza, 100 of whom were women and children. 12 Israelis also died.

Around 4,000 rockets were fired by Hamas militants into Israeli territory, many of which were stopped by Israel’s so-called “Iron Dome”.

Israel’s Security Council says the ceasefire agreement was proposed by Egypt is equal and will be “unconditional”.

World leaders continue to offer their support, including US President Joe Biden who says his administration will offer “quiet, relentless diplomacy”.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

World

‘Magic and perfection’ – French Baguette receives heritage status

Published

on

The French Baguette has been awarded heritage status by UNESCO

In the words of Emmanuel Macron, the French Baguette is “250 grams of magic and perfection.”

Soft in the centre with a crusty and crunchy exterior, there’s no wonder they’re adored by millions every year.

And now there’s a new reason to celebrate the culinary delight after UNESCO gave French Baguettes heritage status.

The UN agency granted “intangible cultural heritage status” to the tradition of making the bread stick and the lifestyle surrounding them.

Over six billion are baked annually, but the industry is currently suffering through a challenging time.

France has been losing around 400 artisanal bakeries per year since 1970, from 55,000 to 35,000 today.

The decline is due to a combination of factors including the increase of industrial bakeries and supermarkets in rural areas.

It’s hoped this new heritage status will help breathe life back into the bakers’ delight.

Continue Reading

World

Epstein estate to pay $155m for Virgin Islands sex-trafficking base

Published

on

A nine-figure settlement deal has been reached between Jeffrey Epstein’s estate and the U.S. Virgin Islands

Jeffrey Epstein’s estate will pay a $155m settlement to the U.S. Virgin Islands for using the territory for sex-trafficking.

The convicted sex offender used the region as a base for his sex-trafficking operation.

Credit: The Guardian

The settlement will be paid in cash but lawyers say this is not an admission of liability.

The estate’s executors are also denying wrongdoing.

Another fund for victims of Epstein will receive over $100m in compensation.

It follows the territory’s attorney general saying Epstein bought the island to stop people from monitoring him, and from his victims escaping.

The 66-year-old died in August 2019 while awaiting his trial on sex trafficking charges.

Continue Reading

World

Is there enough protection against racism at Buckingham Palace?

Published

on

An activist has suggested there’s a lack of racism protection at Buckingham Palace after falling victim to offensive remarks

Domestic abuse activist Ngozi Fulani was attending a royal function when she was harassed by Prince William’s godmother Lady Susan Hussey.

Ms Fulani said Hussey moved her aside and began interrogating her about her heritage. Hussey insinuated that Fulani wasn’t British, despite Fulani explaining her ethnic background.

Lady Hussey has been forced to quit the royal post, following the racist remarks against Fulani.

‘Racism has no place’

Prince William

She is one of King Charles III’s top officials, but Buckingham Palace have been quick to condemn the comments.

“We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details…

Unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made.”

buckingham palace statement

Fulani was attending the event organised by King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla. The domestic abuse activist was invited on behalf of an organisation that provides support for women of African and Caribbean background.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD