Connect with us

World

Violence in Kazakhstan after Russia sends troops

Published

on

Fresh violence raged in Kazakhstan’s main city on Thursday after Russia rushed in paratroopers overnight to put down a countrywide uprising in the former Soviet state closely allied to Moscow

Fresh violence raged on in Kazakhstan on Thursday (January 6), with police in the main city Almaty saying they had killed dozens of rioters overnight.

The interior ministry said at least 18 law enforcement officers had died so far in clashes, including two found decapitated.

And more than two thousand protesters were detained as Russia rushed in paratroopers to stop a countrywide uprising in the former Soviet state, as Western countries called for calm.

Footage from Almaty showed toppled vehicles and buildings – said to be a presidential residence and the mayor’s office – ablaze.

Reuters reporters heard explosions and gunfire as military vehicles and scores of soldiers advanced.

Internet access was also shut down across Kazakhstan.

And while the full extent of the unrest was not immediately clear, it was unprecedented in a country ruled firmly since Soviet times by leader Nursultan Nazarbayev.

He has held on to power despite stepping down three years ago as president.

The uprising originally began against a fuel price hike on New Year’s Day.

But a reversal of the price rise failed to mollify crowds who accuse Nazarbayev’s family and allies of amassing vast wealth from oil and minerals while the nation of 19 million remained poor.

On Wednesday, (January 5) when protesters stormed and torched public buildings in different cities, they chanted slogans against Nazarbayev, and in at least one city looped ropes around a statue of him, trying to pull it down.

Nazarbayev’s hand-picked successor, President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev called in forces from ally Russia overnight as part of a military alliance of ex-Soviet states, led by Moscow.

He blamed the unrest on foreign-trained terrorists who he said had seized buildings and weapons.

The swift arrival of Russian troops demonstrated the Kremlin’s strategy of deploying force to safeguard its influence in the ex-Soviet Union.

Via: Reuters

World

U.S. Reveals Missile Defence Strategy

Published

on

The U.S. Strategic Command has revealed one of it’s goals for missile defence, Admiral Charles Richard, said the utmost priority is a vigorous missile warning capability

The head of the U.S. Strategic Command, Admiral Charles Richard, said the utmost need is a vigorous missile warning capability.

In regards to the critical nature of missile warning systems -Admiral Charles Richard said “I know what to do and how to posture and dispose my forces, and it’s due to these rapidly expanding and evolving threats: hypersonic weapons, cruise missiles potentially with intercontinental range, unmanned aerial systems, proliferation of shorter-range ballistic missiles and several novel weapon systems”.

Last year China tested a hypersonic missile,

And Richard says that this is a prime example of an emerging capability.

And with these types of weapons, Richard says the US is face to face with decreased warning ability.

Arguing his case for the importance of developing advanced missile warning capabilities, the chief of the US Strategic Command also said that part of the deterrence strategy is “the need to reevaluate and readjust our missile defense posture”.

What Richard is talking about exactly is to have the capacity to defeat missile threats even before the shot is fired.

And if the US develops the technology to do this to even the most advanced weapons systems- it will be a game changer.

Continue Reading

Media

Actress Denise Dowse passes away

Published

on

Actress and Director Denise Dowse has passed away at the age of 64.

Dowse was most known for her roles in “Beverly Hills 90210”, “Insecure” and ‘Ray”, as well as appearances in shows such as ‘Charmed”, “The West Wing” and “Law and Order”.

Dowse’s sister, Tracy, made the announcement about her sister’s death on the actress’ Instagram account.

The actress was also a strong advocate for African American theatre, and dedicated to sharing her profession with children.

Continue Reading

Media

Tom Holland firms as favourite for James Bond role

Published

on

Actor Tom Holland has had his chances of playing the prized role of James Bond strengthened over other contenders.

According to reports, the producers want to cast a younger-looking actor who happens to also be under 5’10”.

The 26-year-old fits both categories, but this also rules out several other people, including Idris Elba and Tom Hardy.

Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson won’t be revealing too many more details, as the identity of the actor playing the role won’t be known until next year.

There are reports that the next actor will play 007 in an origin story in the future.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD