Connect with us

World

Should a non-strike rule apply to UK emergency staff?

Published

on

Thousands of UK emergency workers are preparing to walk off the job, just days before Christmas

Thousands of UK Ambulance workers are preparing to go on strike, just days before Christmas, on December 21.

All over a pay dispute, 25,000 emergency staff are expected to walk off the job.

Hospital bosses are warning the strikes will put lives at risk and make wait times significantly longer.

“Our priority is to ensure emergency services continue to operate for those who need it.

People should continue to use NHS 111 online for urgent healthcare advice and call 999 if it is a life-threatening emergency.”

STEVE BARCLAY, Health Secretary
FILE PHOTO: Downing Street Chief of Staff Steve Barclay arrives at 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain May 25, 2022. REUTERS/Toby Melville

UK PM Rishi Sunak was pressed about the potentially fatal outcome, but Downing Street says it’s important not to ‘speculate.’

“Our focus now is on mitigating any potential detrimental impact these strikes could have.”

UK Prime minister’s office

Speaking on behalf of the workers, the health Union says the Government needs to start “genuine conversations about pay.”

“The Government will only have itself to blame if there are strikes in the NHS before Christmas.
“Ambulance staff don’t want to inconvenience anyone but ministers are refusing to do the one thing that could prevent disruption — start genuine talks about pay.”

Sara Gorton, head of health at Unison
UNISON’s Sara Gorton. Unison Centre, London, UK.

“Patients’ lives are already at risk but this government is sitting on the sidelines.
“Fail to act now to avert these strikes and the blame will rest firmly at the Government’s door.”

SHAron graham, Unite general secretary

Holly is an anchor and reporter at Ticker. She's experienced in live reporting, and has previously covered the Covid-19 pandemic on-location. She's passionate about telling stories in business, climate and health.

Continue Reading

Business

New York Stock Exchange in free fall

Published

on

Human error sends the New York Stock Exchange tumbling

We’ve all made mistakes at the office from time to time, but spare a thought for one worker who may have single-handedly brought down the New York Stock Exchange with just one tiny error.

The mistake of one employee has wiped billions of dollars off the charts for some of the globe’s largest companies.

The individual reportedly triggered wild swings and volatility on the New York Stock Exchange.

A number of big brand names were caught up in the catastrophe. It included McDonald’s, Walmart, and Mobil.

The NYSE eventually came clean. Officials admitted the“root cause” of the screw-up was a “manual error” from a staff member in the backup data centre.

The employee accidentally left the system running.

That’s why some stocks behaved as if trading had already started, with no opening prices being set, sending the market into a meltdown. #trending #featured

Continue Reading

Sport

Bombshell pro-Russian video emerges from Australian Open

Published

on

A bombshell video has emerged of the father of tennis star Novak Djokovic, amplifying the Russian controversy the Australian Open

 
Djokovic’s father was seen posing for pictures with a group of Putin supporters after his son won against Russia’s Andrey Rublev, to qualify for his 10th semi-final.

Russian flags have been banned from the Australian Open, but that didn’t stop one fan.

A man was seen holding a Russian flag with Putin’s face on it and wearing a t-shirt with the pro-war ‘Z’ symbol on it.

Four spectators were questioned by police and evicted from Melbourne Park.

After losing her semi-final, Belarusian Viktoria Azarenka hit back at media when pressed on tennis’ relationship with Russia’s war on Ukraine.

She told reporters incidents like Novak’s father posing with Russian fans have nothing to do with players.

Continue Reading

World

FBI Director discusses classified documents as U.S. lawmakers demand answers

Published

on

Bipartisan outrage on Capitol Hill as politicians say the Biden administration is stonewalling their quest for answers

FBI Director Christopher Wray is speaking out for the first time after several batches of classified documents were discovered in U.S. President Joe Biden’s Wilmington home and Washington think tank office.

On Thursday, Wray urged lawmakers and officials to be “conscious of the rules” when dealing with classified documents.

The statements appear to be a veiled criticism of President Biden after news broke that some of the classified papers in the President’s possession date back 14-years ago to when Biden was a Delaware Senator raising questions if this is a pattern for the president to mishandle classified information.

Meanwhile, on Capitol Hill, there is bipartisan outrage as lawmakers say the Biden administration is stonewalling them in their quest for answers.

Currently, both Biden and former President Donald Trump are facing special counsel investigations into their mishandling of classified documents—and just this week, former Vice President Mike Pence turned over classified documents to the DOJ.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD