Connect with us

Business

Qantas apologises for its poor service, offers rewards to customers

Published

on

Australia’s national carrier is offering vouchers and lounge passes to frequent flyers

Qantas is offering $50 vouchers, loyalty extensions, and lounge passes to frequent flyers as part of its push to make up for delays, cancellations and lost baggage.

The airline has been in the grips of a global aviation crisis, which has been fuelled by the pandemic, staff shortages, and supply chain issues.

The home of Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce was also recently pelted with eggs.

“Over the past few months, too many of you have had flights delayed, flights cancelled and bags misplaced. There are good reasons why, but when it comes to what you expect from Qantas, it’s not good enough.”

ALAN JOYCE, QANTAS CHIEF EXECUTIVE

The airline says it has hired 1,500 people since April, adjusted schedules and invested $15 million to help smooth the travel experience.

“We’re already seeing a sustained improvement in baggage handling and on-time performance, and while factors out of our control like weather can have an impact on our schedule, we expect things to keep improving each week,” Joyce says.

Airlines around the world are facing similar problems as staff shortages put a strain on the airline sector.

Flights across Europe and the U.S. have been cancelled, as passengers have been forced to find alternative routes to travel.

Qantas axed thousands of jobs during the height of pandemic lockdowns. Staff were also placed on leave without pay.

The airline will release its financial results later this week.

Costa is a news producer at ticker NEWS. He has previously worked as a regional journalist at the Southern Highlands Express newspaper. He also has several years' experience in the fire and emergency services sector, where he has worked with researchers, policymakers and local communities. He has also worked at the Seven Network during their Olympic Games coverage and in the ABC Melbourne newsroom. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Professional), with expertise in journalism, politics and international relations. His other interests include colonial legacies in the Pacific, counter-terrorism, aviation and travel.

Business

OPEC+ agreed to its deepest cuts to oil production since 2020

Published

on

By

OPEC+ agreed its deepest cuts to oil production since the 2020 COVID pandemic at a Vienna meeting

OPEC has agreed to the biggest cuts in oil output since the height of the global health crisis.

Ministers from the group of oil-producing nations, and allies including Russia, met in Vienna on Wednesday.

That marked their first in-person get-together since lockdowns made them impossible.

They agreed to slash production by 2 million barrels per day. This move could spur a recovery in oil prices.

They’ve fallen from $120 per barrel three months ago, to about $90 now.

But the decision is unlikely to go down well in Washington.

After OPEC+ agreed to cut oil production, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that the United States is working to ensure energy supply is on the market and that prices are low.

Asked if he was disappointed in U.S. ally Saudi Arabia agreeing to the cuts, Blinken said Washington has a “multiplicity of interests with regard to Saudi Arabia.”

“We are working every single day to make sure to the best of our ability that, again, energy supply from wherever is actually meeting demand in order to ensure that energy is on the market and the prices are kept low,” Blinken said.

It wanted OPEC to pump more oil, to help reduce prices ahead of U.S. midterm elections.

The Biden administration also wants to limit revenues for Russia, as part of moves to punish it for the conflict in Ukraine.

However, Saudi Arabia has refused to condemn Moscow, which is part of the broader OPEC+ grouping.

Market watchers at JPMorgan expect Washington to react with countermeasures by releasing more oil stocks.

The UAE energy minister said Wednesday’s decision was technical, not political.

The Saudis and other OPEC members say it’s aimed at calming market volatility, not targeting any particular price for oil.

Continue Reading

Business

Rolls Royce CEO slams aviation for failing on climate targets

Published

on

Aviation needs to act on net-zero targets, that’s according to the CEO of Rolls Royce

Warren East says the sector needs to move towards bio-fuels like hydrogen and electric aircraft.

Travellers can even look forward to flying on planes that has a gas turbine that’s burning hydrogen.

Speaking at a conference in London, East says transitional technology is the answer that plane-makers are searching for.

Some companies are already looking at sustainable fuels that can offer 80 per cent off carbon emissions across their lifetime.

Continue Reading

Business

Amazon halts hiring on all corporate roles

Published

on

E-commerce giant is the latest of many to close all corporate job openings due to economic concern

Amazon is pressing pause on corporate hiring for the rest of the year, as economic concerns continue to grow.

The tech giant has instructed all recruiters to close all current corporate job openings… worldwide.

This means more that ten thousand openings will be closed as of Monday evening.

The job postings that will affected include technology positions, in store and online retail businesses, and logistics operations.

However, Amazon spokesman, Brad Glasser, says the company will still continue to have a significant number of other roles open.

He says, “we have many different businesses at various stages of evolution, and we expect to keep adjusting our hiring strategies in each of these businesses at various junctures.”

The freeze sees Amazon joining Meta, Apple, and Google, who have also announced a reduction or temporary pause on hiring.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD