Connect with us

Global Politics

“Ugly oaf” – Philippine Government launches a tirade on China

Ticker News

Published

on

“China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see…GET THE F*** OUT.”

A Philippine government official has unleashed a tirade on China in a recent Tweet. And no, it was not the President.

Philippine Foreign Minister Teodoro Locsin told China via a tweet that they are not helping their ‘friends’.

The tweet said China is like “an ugly oaf forcing your attention on a handsome guy that wants to be your friend.”

The tweet also called for China to remove its vessels from the EEZ in a rather expletive manner:

The tweet follows Manila’s protests over “illegal” Chinese boats inside the Philippines 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).

The EEZ stands for ‘Exclusive Economic Zone.’ It is a 200-mile area of the South China Sea bordering the Philippines.

Previously, Duterte has played to China’s favour in exchange for promises of billions in investment, aid and loans.

Despite the harsh tweet, Duterte says he still considers China “a good friend”.

Last week he said: “There are things that are not really subject to a compromise.

Tweet comes after ‘Illegal’ Chinese boats enter Philippine exclusive economic zone

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, which transports about US$3 trillion worth of goods each year.

In a statement on Monday, the Philippine foreign ministry also accused China’s coast guard of “shadowing, blocking, dangerous manoeuvres, and radio challenges of the Philippine coast guard vessels.”

Philippine officials believe the Chinese vessels are manned by militia.

Philippine China Tweet
FILE PHOTO: China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Philippine’s Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr., bump their elbows during a meeting in Manila, Philippines January 16, 2021. Francis Malasig/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

This comes after protests in the Philippines over Chinese leadership

As of April 26, the Philippines had filed 78 diplomatic protests to China. This comes since President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016 as shown by foreign ministry data.

Marie Yvette Banzon-Abalos is the executive director for strategic communications at the Phillipino foreign ministry. Abalos said their increasingly harsh statement reflects China’s increasing brazeness..

“Our statements are stronger too because of the more brazen nature of the activities. The number, frequency and proximity of intrusions,” she said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Global Politics

Fiji enters lockdown as new COVID cluster spreads

Anthony Lucas

Published

on

Fiji has announced the island country will enter a 56-hour lockdown as it rushes to trace contacts of a garment factory worker diagnosed with COVID-19, The case is the nation’s first case detected in in 2021.

While the capital, Suva was put into lockdown last week for 14 days after a handful of cases spread in the community after emerging from a quarantine hotel, officials have announced a curfew over the weekend, with none of the 100,000 residents allowed to leave their homes.

The are currently 49 people in the nation with the virus, 28 of those locally transmitted, according to Fiji Times.

One of the new cases is a woman who worked in a garment factory, with her positive COVID detection sparking the crack-down.

Authorities say she worked with almost 900 people. In a statement, officials say they have only managed to test 300 people, and need to find hundreds more.

“We cannot waste another minute locating the rest of them,”

Permanent Secretary for Health and Medical Services, Dr James Fong said.

Continue Reading

Global Politics

Can U.S President Joe Biden be Israel’s answer to avoiding ‘a full-scale war’

Anthony Lucas

Published

on

“President @JoeBiden can pick up the phone, make a couple of calls & this could be over almost immediately ” As violence between Israel and Gaza continues, @andraydomise calls on the President of the United States to take urgent action to avoid ‘a full-scale war’

“This is potentially going to be a third intifada”

Andray Domise says.

Contributing editor of Maclean’s Magazine, Andray Domise, says tensions between Gaza and Israel have been slowly escalating over the course of 20 years, ‘at least’.

The situation in Gaza is at breaking point, following the UN yesterday making a stark warning that the violence may turn into a “full-scale war”.

Domise’s analysis comes after Internal miscommunication early on Friday morning that led to Israeli Defense Forces announcing that its air and ground troops were “attacking in the Gaza Strip.”

However, the IDF later clarified this statement, saying that ground operations against Palestinian militants had started but that they had not entered Gaza.

More than 16,000 reservist military personnel were called up earlier and additional ground troops were deployed to the border.

The UN has warned that the violence in Gaza could escalate into a “full-scale war”

U.S. President Joe Biden has spoken with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and says “Israel has a right to defend itself” amid a barrage of rockets fired from Gaza, according to AFP.

“One of the things that I have seen thus far is that there has not been a significant overreaction,” Biden said during a press briefing.

“Israel has a right to defend itself when you have thousands of rockets flying into your territory,” Biden said during his address.

The United States dispatched a senior diplomat on Wednesday to urge Israelis and Palestinians to calm the worst flare-up in violence between them in years, says Reuters.

As the situation worsens in Gaza, tensions are also spreading throughout several Israeli cities, with Arab and Jewish citizens clashing and rioting on the streets.

Israel’s Defense Minister said “I say explicitly: we will continue to defend and continue to attack until the fire is stopped and we will ensure long-term silence.”

This comes as Palestinians plead with the United Nations to live up to its responsibility and maintain international peace and security.

Continue Reading

Global Politics

Sky lit up in red flames: Have Israeli troops crossed the border in Gaza?

Brittany Coles

Published

on

The Israel military says air and ground troops “are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip”.

However, the IDF later clarified this statement, saying that ground operations against Palestinian militants had started but that they had not entered Gaza.

More than 16,000 reservist military personnel were called up earlier and additional ground troops were deployed to the border.

Israeli forces have not entered Gaza following a barrage of artillery and air strikes in the north of Gaza, according to Al Jazeera.

Have troops actually entered the Gaza strip?

Al Jazeera and other news outlets with reporters on ground are questioning whether Israel’s military has actually entered Gaza.

Internal miscommunication early on Friday morning led to Israeli Defense Forces announcing that its air and ground troops were “attacking in the Gaza Strip.”

However, that was clarified later by the IDF that ground operations against Palestinian militants had started but that they had not entered Gaza.

On Friday local time, Israeli Defense Forces announced that its air and ground troops are “attacking in the Gaza Strip.”

Palestinians marked the first day of the Eid al-Fitr religious holiday under heated bombardment.

Gaza’s health ministry saying that 109 people, including 28 children, have been killed since the Israeli offensive began late on Monday.

Militants in Gaza have fired more than one thousand rockets into Israel, with airlines either suspending or diverting flights over fears of planes being shot down.

At least 580 others were injured. Israel has stationed more troops and tanks near Gaza and has approved mobilizing 9,000 more reservist troops, according to AJ+

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the operations were targeted at Hamas and would continue “as long as necessary.”

ISRAEL Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

“We give one hundred per cent backing to the police, to the soldiers of the border police and the other security forces,” he said.

It comes as Israel’s Defense Minister says the country has “many, many more targets” and no time limit when it comes to military operations.

“The army will continue to attack to bring a total, long-term quiet.”

Israel’s Defense Minister

The violence in Gaza erupted on Monday after Israeli air strikes killed several senior Hamas commanders and destroyed three multi-story buildings.

As the situation worsens in Gaza, tensions are also spreading throughout several Israeli cities, with Arab and Jewish citizens clashing and rioting on the streets.

“I say explicitly: we will continue to defend and continue to attack until the fire is stopped and we will ensure long-term silence,”

Israel’s Defense Minister says.

Why now?

It comes as Palestinians plead with the United Nations to live up to its responsibility and maintain international peace and security.

Hamas controls Gaza, while Fatah controls the West Bank.

Then there’s the Abraham accords signed in the final months of President Trump’s administration, where relations were normalised between Israel, the UAE and Bahrain.

The situation in Gaza is at breaking point, following the UN yesterday making a stark warning that the violence may turn into a “full-scale war”.

The UN Security Council will meet to discuss the situation

The UN has warned that the violence in Gaza could escalate into a “full-scale war” after Israel carried out heavy airstrikes on Gaza and Palestinian militants fired hundreds of rockets into Israel.

U.S. President Joe Biden has spoken with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and says “Israel has a right to defend itself” amid a barrage of rockets fired from Gaza, according to AFP.

Israel has a right to defend itself when you have thousands of rockets flying into your territory.”

u.s president biden

The United States dispatched a senior diplomat on Wednesday to urge Israelis and Palestinians to calm the worst flare-up in violence between them in years, says Reuters.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke about the matter.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken

Meanwhile in Australia,  Foreign Minister Marise Payne has followed the U.S lead in calling for an end to escalating violence between Israel and Gaza.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne 

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd