Connect with us

World

‘My heart will forever break for you’- Families grieve as veil is lifted on identity of victims

Published

on

The innocent victims of the Robb Elementary School mass shooting have been identified

The world mourns the loss of 19 students and two adults whose lives were senselessly stolen in Uvalde, Texas.

Uvalde is just west of San Antonio and east of the U.S.-Mexican border.

Robb Elementary has students from 2nd through to 4th grades, with 535 pupils in the school year.

90% of the students are Hispanic and 81% come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

On the 24th of May 20-22, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos opened fire at the campus, killing 19 children and two adults.

The entire country is in mourning, as people from right around the world try to comprehend this senseless act of terror.

President Joe Biden will visit the community with his wife, Jill to meet with grieving families as some of the victims’ identities become known.

Uziyah Garcia

Uziyah Garcia was eight years old. His grandfather says he was the sweetest little boy he’s ever known, a fast little kid, who could catch a ball “so good”.

Uziyah Garcia

Xavier Lopez

Xavier Lopez was ten years of age. His cousin calls him a loving little boy, just enjoying life, not knowing that this tragedy was going to happen, bubbly and loved dancing with his brothers and mother.

Xavier Lopez

Amerie Jo Garza

Her father told the world his “little girl” had just turned 10 on May 10th.

He says his daughter is now flying high with the angels above, with a message to not take a minute for granted, “hug your family and tell them you love them”.

Amerie Jo Garza

Jose Flores

Jose was 10 years old.

Remembered as a “happy little boy” who loved his parents, loved his brothers and loved his life.

Jose Flores

Mackenna Lee Elrod

Mackenna’s sister says the 10-year-old was also one of the students killed.

She writes “my heart will forever break for you my love, I love you with my whole heart, have fun with your angels up in heaven”.

Mackenna Lee Elrod

Never forgotten

These are just some of the stories, and victims as the veil is gradually pulled back and the world is given a glimpse into the lives that have been taken and the livelihoods that have been destroyed.

21 innocent individuals lost their lives on May 24.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine expects Russian offensive this month

Published

on

Ukraine expects a possible major Russian offensive this month, but Kyiv has the reserves to hold back Moscow’s forces even though the latest Western military supplies will not all arrive in time

 
Russia could launch the new attack for ‘symbolic’ reasons around the first anniversary of its invasion, but its resources are not ready from a military point of view, Defence minister Oleksii Reznikov told a news conference.

“Despite everything, we expect a possible Russian offensive in February. This is only from the point of view of symbolism; it’s not logical from a military view. Because not all of their resources are ready. But they’re doing it anyway,” he said.

Russian forces have been making incremental advances in the east as Moscow tries to capture the embattled city of Bakhmut and revive its faltering invasion after a string of battlefield setbacks in the second half of last year.

Reznikov said the offensive would likely be launched in the east – where Russia is trying to capture all the heavily-industrialised Donbas region – or the south where it wants to widen its land corridor to the occupied peninsula of Crimea.

He estimated that Russia had 12,000 troops in Belarusian military bases, a number that would not be enough to launch a significant attack from Belarus into Ukraine’s north, reopening a new front.

The United States and other Western governments have pledged billions of dollars in new military assistance including tanks and infantry fighting vehicles to help Ukraine withstand a new attack as well as to help Kyiv launch a counteroffensive.

“Not all of the Western weaponry will arrive in time. But we are ready. We have created our resources and reserves, which we are able to deploy and with which we are able to hold back the attack,” Reznikov said.

Continue Reading

World

China describes spy balloon saga as ‘overreaction’

Published

on

China has strongly opposed the U.S. approach to the suspected spy balloon that was shot down – describing it as an overreaction

 
They also once again explained that this was a civilian airship that was simply monitoring the weather and was blown astray into US airspace.

These are claims that Washington have disputed.

It has been interesting to watch China’s reaction throughout this affair.

On Friday, when they first admitted that this balloon belonged to them, Beijing were apologetic and said they regretted how it had ended up in US territory.

It was an uncharacteristic approach from China who are usually more aggressive in these statements.

But as time passed, Beijing’s tone changed and they started to accuse U.S. politicians and the media of using this incident as a way of attacking China.

This affair has now renewed tensions between these two global superpowers, with U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken cancelling his much-anticipated trip to Beijing at the last minute.

Although his visit was largely seen as symbolic – as opposed to making any substantive policy breakthroughs – it was still seen as another big step in repairing relations between China and the U.S.

Instead, face-to-face talks have been cancelled and it looks likely that it will now be some time before Secretary Blinken makes the journey to Beijing.

Continue Reading

World

Blaze burns down Buddhist temple in Australia

Published

on

A massive blaze burnt down a Buddhist temple in Australia

Footage shows fire engulfing Melbourne’s Bright Moon Buddhist Society Temple on Sunday evening.

More than 80 firefighters battled the blaze into the night as the fire quickly spread throughout the building.

It’s not yet known if anyone was inside when the fire started.

Roads in the surrounding area are closed as investigations into the cause of the fire are underway.

The temple is understood to draw thousands of visitors to the area each year.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2023 The Ticker Company PTY LTD