Erin Patterson’s trial jury has reached verdicts in her triple murder case over a fatal mushroom lunch.
In Short:
Erin Patterson is on trial for allegedly murdering her in-laws by serving a toxic meal containing death cap mushrooms. The jury has reached verdicts, with updates on the case expected soon.
Erin Patterson has been found guilty for triple murder and attempted murder related to a beef Wellington lunch served to her in-laws in regional Australia. The charges stem from a gathering held on 29 July 2023, where a beef Wellington meal allegedly contained death cap mushrooms.
Patterson, 50, has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
A jury of 12 has found her guilty of murdering the three people who attended the lunch.
Ms Patterson is now a convicted triple murderer and attempted murderer. She wore her signature paisley.shirt and sat stony faced as the jury entered the court room.
She remained expressionless as the forewoman softly said “guilty” in response to each charge. Ms Patterson watched and blinked heavily as the jury left the courtroom.
About 50 people sat in the gallery as the jury foreperson announced the verdicts about 2.18pm, but no members of the Patterson or Wilkinson families were present.
Justice Beale thanked the jurors for their time.
“You’ve been an exceptional jury,” he said. “The way you’ve conducted yourself throughout this trial has caught my attention.”
This trial draws significant attention as the circumstances surrounding the mushroom lunch have raised questions about intent and accountability.
Latrobe Valley Law Court where the court case was heard.
Court case
Erin Patterson, 50, has pleaded not guilty to three counts of murder and one of attempted murder, stemming from a beef Wellington lunch she hosted at her Leongatha home in regional Victoria in July 2023.
The prosecution alleges Patterson laced the meal with deadly death cap mushrooms, knowingly poisoning her former in-laws Don and Gail Patterson, both 70, and Gail’s sister Heather Wilkinson, 66, all of whom died. Heather’s husband, local pastor Ian Wilkinson, was the only survivor, spending weeks in an induced coma. Patterson’s estranged husband Simon, who had been invited to the lunch, did not attend.
During the trial, Crown prosecutor Nanette Rogers SC painted Patterson as deceitful and manipulative, accusing her of lying to police, doctors, and even family members — including faking a cancer diagnosis — to orchestrate the fatal lunch. “She has told lies upon lies because she knew the truth would implicate her,” Rogers told the court, dismissing Patterson’s claim it was all a terrible accident.
Defence case
The defence urged the jury to focus on the lack of motive. Patterson, they argued, had no reason to harm people she loved. Taking the stand as the sole defence witness, Patterson said she may have accidentally used a mix of store-bought and foraged mushrooms from her pantry.
She admitted to making false statements, including the cancer lie, but said they stemmed from personal shame and panic – not a murderous intent.
Defence barrister Colin Mandy SC told jurors the case was being built on assumptions, with prosecutors trying to “stretch” evidence to fit a preconceived narrative. “This is not a court of moral judgment,” he said.
Justice Christopher Beale, in his final instructions to the jury last Monday, reminded the panel that while Patterson had told lies, that alone was not proof of guilt.
“There are all sorts of reasons why a person might behave in a way that makes them look guilty,” he said, urging jurors to keep emotion out of their deliberations despite the tragic outcome for both the Patterson and Wilkinson families.
Ahron Young is an award winning journalist who has covered major news events around the world. Ahron is the Managing Editor and Founder of TICKER NEWS.
UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.
Shoppers across the UK are revising their Black Friday game plan, tightening their budgets as economic pressures reshape spending behaviour. Many are approaching the sales season far more cautiously than before.
Consumers expect to spend an average of £622 this year — a 4% drop from last year — with many relying on discounts and promotions to stretch their budgets. Value is king, with 38% of shoppers saying they’ll only buy items that are at least 50% off.
Rising inflation and income disruptions are adding pressure, and even higher-income households plan to scale back spending across Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Brands and retailers will need to work harder to earn every pound this shopping season.
Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker
Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.
An Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, has been arrested after allegedly shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C. Authorities say Lakanwal previously worked with CIA-backed military units in Afghanistan before coming to the United States.
The victims, Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe, remain in critical condition. Officials warn that if either victim dies, the charges could escalate to first-degree murder as the investigation intensifies.
The FBI is now examining the case as a potential act of terrorism, while the Department of Homeland Security has announced a review of all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.
Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker
Hong Kong arrests construction bosses after deadly fire kills 83; 279 still missing as investigation intensifies.
Hong Kong has been shaken by the arrest of construction company bosses following the city’s most devastating fire in almost 80 years, which claimed at least 83 lives. The blaze erupted at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Tai Po, where renovation work was underway.
Authorities report that more than 4,600 residents lived in the high-rise blocks, with most victims found within two of the towers. Shockingly, 279 people remain unaccounted for nearly 24 hours after the fire first broke out.
The Hong Kong government has announced a HK$300 million emergency fund to support survivors and affected residents. Meanwhile, police are deepening their investigation, seizing documents and equipment from the company’s headquarters.
Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker