Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

The murder of Haiti’s president could lead to a crisis beyond Africa | Ticker VIEWS

Published

on

As the political crisis in Haiti reaches breaking point, the US will need to do more than investigate the President’s assassination

As a team of American officials investigate the assassination of Haiti’s president, the country falls into political chaos. With the US’ ties to Haiti, this emerging crisis could have impact that reach far beyond Africa.

Although the White House is still reviewing Haiti’s plea for troops to help secure the country, additional military support looks unlikely.

“I don’t know that we’re at a point now where we can say definitively that our national security is being put at risk by what’s happening there,” US secretary of Defence John Kirby said. “But clearly we value our Haitian partners. We value stability and security in that country.”

Now, the world is watching to see if the US lives up to that claim.

Three suspects in President Moïse’s murder have ties to the US

The mercenaries who murdered Jovenel Moïse entered the president’s house dressed like US Drug Enforcement agents. Haiti’s Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph says they were “well-trained professionals”. The assasins also attacked Haiti’s first lady, who is now recovering in a Florida hospital.

Although the majority of suspects ties to the case are former Colombian soldiers, the investigators have also arrested three suspects with ties to the US. They also recently arrested a Florida-based doctor for his involvement in the assassination, alongside two Americans arrested earlier this week.

The two Americans both say they worked only as translators, and were not in the room when the mercenaries killed the president. They say their goal was to bring the president to the national palace, not kill him.

Suspects in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse included the American citizens James Solages, left, and Joseph Vincent, second left. Credit: Business insider.

Haiti grapples for control amid leadership grab

Moïse’s murder has thrown the country into a mad scramble for leadership. Interim prime minister Claude Joseph has since made a grab for the top spot. This is despite the former president sacking him a week before his murder.

“Let’s search for harmony to advance together, so the country doesn’t fall into chaos,” warned Joseph.

Despite Joseph’s attempts to garner support from the US, eight of Haiti’s ten remaining senators have challenged Joseph’s legitimacy to rule. The group signed a resolution calling for a new government to replace the intern prime minister with Senate president, Joseph Lambert.

On Saturday, Lambert also said the Senate had postponed a swearing-in ceremony so that all senators could participate. “There is an urgent need to rebuild hope in our country,” he said on Twitter.

As violence escalates, democracy in Haiti falters

Amid the assassination and subsequent leadership scramble, Haiti’s September elections are looking unlikely. Many civil society groups have raised concerns that holding the elections would exacerbate the political crisis.

President Moïse’s assassination is only the latest in a string of the country’s misfortunes, as it struggles to recover from a massive earthquake that struck the nation over ten years ago. Human rights groups estimate gangs control about 60 per cent of the country’s territory.

Haiti also faces food and water insecurity, which have come under greater strain following the outbreak of Covid-19.

Any hope for stability rests on the country solving this latest political crisis. But the Supreme Court’s Chief Justice, who might be expected to help during the upheaval, died recently of COVID-19.

Natasha is an Associate Producer at ticker NEWS with a Bachelor of arts from Monash University. She has previously worked at Sky News Australia and Monash University as an Online Content Producer.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UK police seek former aides’ insights on Prince Andrew

UK police contact ex-protection officers of Prince Andrew amid misconduct investigation linked to Jeffrey Epstein allegations

Published

on

UK police contact ex-protection officers of Prince Andrew amid misconduct investigation linked to Jeffrey Epstein allegations

video
play-sharp-fill
In Short:
– Police seek former protection officers of Prince Andrew for info on alleged Epstein-related offences.
– Authorities consider removing Mountbatten-Windsor from royal succession after investigation conclusions.
British police are reaching out to former protection officers of Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his recent arrest related to allegations of misconduct in a public office.
The police have urged anyone with information about potential sex offences connected to Jeffrey Epstein to come forward.Authorities are considering legislative measures to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal succession line once the investigation concludes. Any changes would require consultation with other realms where King Charles is head of state.

Banner

The recent allegations stem from claims that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential government documents with Epstein during his time as a trade envoy. The London Metropolitan Police is now identifying former officers who may assist in the ongoing investigation and has encouraged them to share any pertinent information.

Mountbatten-Windsor has denied wrongdoing in the Epstein matter.

In 2022, he settled a civil lawsuit filed in the U.S. by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse. Reports indicated he paid her approximately £12 million, a claim he denies.

Police Investigation

London authorities are reassessing previous decisions not to pursue criminal investigations related to Epstein’s activities.

Recent document releases from the U.S. government have prompted police to explore allegations of human trafficking involving Epstein at UK airports.

Police have been actively searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s residences as part of their investigation. His arrest marks an unprecedented event in modern royal history, raising significant public interest and concern in various countries.


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs, plans 10% global levy

Trump vows new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court rules against his previous tariffs, calling the decision ‘deeply disappointing’

Published

on

Trump vows new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court rules against his previous tariffs, calling the decision ‘deeply disappointing’

video
play-sharp-fill
In Short:
– The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that Trump lacks authority for tariffs without Congress support.
– Over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers complicate the tariff issue, particularly for smaller businesses.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, stating he lacks the authority to impose tariffs without clear congressional support. Trump expressed disappointment and plans to implement a new 10% global tariff under different legal provisions.
Economists estimate more than $175 billion is at risk of refunds related to previously established tariffs, with potential litigations expected to last several years.Trump’s administration faces over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers in the Court of International Trade, which ruled it can grant refunds to affected businesses. Each importer may need to pursue individual lawsuits, complicating the process, especially for smaller businesses that could find the financial burden prohibitive.

Banner

Learning Resources Inc., a toy company led by Rick Woldenberg, has contested these tariffs, potentially qualifying for refunds. Woldenberg hopes the Supreme Court ruling will initiate reflection on necessary economic adjustments.

Economic Impact

Economists suggest consumers may not notice significant changes due to persistent tariffs on numerous products. U.S. Treasury estimates predict the deputy’s revenue will remain largely unchanged despite Trump’s new plans to increase tariffs through other channels, specifically under Sections 122 and 301 of the Trade Act.

Trump’s forthcoming address to Congress is expected to address the implications of this ruling, which notably undermines a fundamental aspect of his trade agenda.

Despite past assurances regarding reform, uncertainties remain for both businesses and consumers as the administration explores future tariff strategies.


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Bill Gates withdraws from India AI Impact Summit before keynote

Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Published

on

Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Bill Gates has withdrawn from India’s AI Impact Summit just hours before his keynote, as scrutiny grows over his past ties to Jeffrey Epstein following the release of US Justice Department emails.

The summit has faced criticism over organisational issues and traffic disruptions, drawing attention away from its mission. Despite the chaos, it has secured over $200 billion in investment commitments, including a major pledge from Reliance Industries.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi used the platform to stress the importance of protecting children in the rapidly evolving world of AI.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now