The British government lifted pandemic restrictions on daily life in England at midnight on Monday
People eagerly awaited to enter London’s G-A-Y Heaven and other nightclubs across the UK.
As the clock ticked towards midnight, the chairs, tables and protective screens that have been in place throughout lockdown to comply with government rules were stripped down and the “freedom day’ party erupted in full swing.
Benjamin Butterworth was live at the first club that opened up, he filmed it and the video went nuts.
“At the stroke of midnight it was pretty incredible because the venue I went to for COVID compliant bar,” Butterworth, a Late Editor & Senior Reporter at iNewspaper, told tickerNEWS live from London.
“It was like New Year’s Eve,”
“In fact, the owner of the club called it the (New Year’s) Eve we never had.”
Butterworth said most people were out in London, mainly people in their 20’s and younger.
“18, or 19 year olds have never had the chance to go to a nightclub. There was not only a palpable sense of excitement, but it was also quite emotional.”
What was it like?
Butterworth was in the DJ booth, because he was filming from there, and said the woman who was doing the DJing, wiped away a tear, as it got to midnight and people partied again.
“Aa lot of young people have given up so much during this pandemic to protect their peers, and rightly so in my opinion. But now it’s time as the vaccine has been rolled out so well in the United Kingdom, to get that freedom back and to have some fun,
People can’t believe they can dance again
Butterworth said that people couldn’t believe that they could dance again that they could make new friends, they could hug or they could have new romances and “that’s why it was so special.”
However, he notes that “of course, scientists say that because we vaccinate, double vaccinated, so many people, the link between gaining COVID and being hospital has broken”
“But people in there could obviously get COVID, there’s a very real chance that someone could have had it in there. But the chances are, they won’t get it.”
He is hopeful the government welfare is going to change the rules in England to say that you have to be double jabbed to go into a nightclub from September when the rollout will have completely finished for everyone over the age of 18.
“So they’re going to tighten the rules a bit. But you know, just to have had that moment, just felt pretty special,” he said on tickerNEWS.
Are people scared to be in crowds and clubs?
Butterworth said you don’t have to wear face masks, for example, not by law in supermarkets or on public transport, “but the vast majority of people are still choosing to do it. I think it will be a while not because of the rules, but before people feel safe in themselves.”
He thinks there are a lot of people that won’t return to nightclubs or to full capacity theatres in London’s famous West End for a while, because they’re still nervous about the spread of COVID.
“So I think there’s a lot of certitude to the age, the polling in this country, it says a quarter of people thought nightclubs should be permanently closed. So there’s a lot of attitudinal change that we still need, I think to get back to life as normal, I dare say will be next year,” he said.
“And because it’s been so long for us because we’ve had a turbulent time in the UK with COVID. Seems like the one now that’s so familiar to people,
Boris Johnson’s Former Chief Adviser says the PM was reluctant to tighten COVID restrictions last year because he thought people dying from the virus were “all over 80”
Dominic Cummings also says the PM messaged him to say “I no longer buy all this NHS overwhelmed stuff.”
It follows reports from Cummings that Johnson wanted to let COVID “wash through the country” rather than destroy the nation’s economy.
The BBC is expected to air an interview with Cummings, in his first one-on-one interview during his political career.
Meanwhile, thousands of UK residents have partied the night away as the nation scaled back its strict COVID restrictions.
Warning not to travel to UK
The US State Department has issued a warning advising American residents to avoid traveling to the UK as the Delta variant continues to spread at rapid rates.
The warning comes as England celebrates “Freedom Day” and moves into a society free of Covid-19 restrictions.
Health Officials have boosted their travel alert to “Very High” saying travellers to the U.K. should wear a mask and stay at least 6 feet away from other people”.
The UK recorded more than 54,000 cases of coronavirus on Saturday and over 47,000 on Sunday and is the current pandemic epicentre.
Freedom Day also coincided with a worldwide drop in stocks, with investors choosing safety over airlines, cruise companies and other industries that rely on the end of Covid-19.
Travel bubble bursts between Australia and NZ
New Zealand has suspended its travel bubble with Australia
The nation has halted its travel bubble arrangements for at least eight weeks as Australia continues to battle against the delta variant of COVID-19.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern fronted the media and stated that “the Delta variant has materially changed the risk profile”.
From 11:59pm tonight, Australians will be unable to travel to New Zealand on a quarantine-free flight
This restriction will be in place for at least the next eight weeks.
The trans-tasman route is already closed to travellers flying into New Zealand from New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia as those states battle COVID-19 outbreaks.
Constant disruption to trans-Tasman travel bubble
Flights to New Zealand inside the bubble have been paused and restarted as different Australian states have experienced COVID-19 outbreaks.
“For the next seven days, we will have managed return flights for New Zealanders from all states and territories.
“National emergency” – Sydney in crisis as COVID cases rise
Sydney has declared a national emergency as COVID-19 cases rise across the Australian city
Sydney and the state of New South Wales is calling on the Australian Federal Government to “refocus the national vaccination strategy”.
As the delta variant of the virus spreads throughout the city, Premier Gladys Berejiklian and her government have declared a national emergency.
New South Wales Government officials say that the spreading of the virus is “threatening the safety of other states.”
They’ve encouraged people in virus-ravaged south-western and western Sydney to urgently “do their duty” and get vaccinated against coronavirus.
The Premier has stressed the importance of getting vaccinated as NSW records its highest daily number of COVID-19 cases today.
Meanwhile, Chief Health Officer Dr. Kerry Chant says Australia urgently needs to “correct the mythology about AstraZeneca”.
“There is no doubt that if we want to contain this virus and stop it seeping out to other parts of Greater Sydney, stop it impacting our freedom and our economy, but also stop it spreading to other states, we need to have a discussion about refocusing the national vaccination strategy,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
The issue will be addressed at today’s National Cabinet, she said.
At least 53 of today’s NSW cases were infectious in the community
Is a $52 billion boost enough to end a global chip shortage?
As the race to combat the global chip shortage continues the Biden administration is big to end the crisis
US President Joe Biden is preparing to spend $52 billion to boost the worsening shortage of semiconductor chips.
The White House is still waiting for congressional approval on the big spend but is pushing ahead with plans of how to invest the money wisely.
The Commerce Secretary says America “needs to incentivise the manufacturing of chips” if the country wants the crisis to end.
She added that officials have been speaking with the impacted industries on a daily basis which has helped address the shortage from the ground up.
Whilst there have been reports that the sector is gradually improving, but the car manufacturing sector may still be impacted by delays.
Biden recently called for Semiconductor chips to be produced locally in the US, but this company is ignoring his plea.
Construction will begin on the $4 billion Asian plant in 2023. This goes against the Biden administration’s wishes to return chip manufacturing to American soil.
The company will join rivals including ‘Samsung’ and ‘Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’ which are all also trying to address the current chip shortage.
The President has been under increasing pressure to secure a constant supply of this crucial tech that is used in so many modern devices.
Tokyo’s economic games get underway | ticker VIEWS
Big tech giants could be held to account for vaccine misinformation
Snapchat is growing faster than it has in years
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Move over Dogecoin, SHIB coin is here
Australia blocks UNESCO from ruling the Great Barrier Reef as “in danger” from climate change
Trending on Ticker
Business4 days ago
Rex Airlines grounds all Boeing 737 jets immediately
Crypto3 days ago
Bitcoin bounces back as Musk announces Tesla to accept crypto again
Ticker First3 days ago
Glioblastoma awareness day
Tech3 days ago
Priest no longer on top after Grindr hook-up
Sport4 days ago
Historic moment as Brisbane wins Olympic 2032 bid
Global Politics3 days ago
Covid-19 tracker: Australia ranked the worst nation for vaccine rollout
Business2 days ago
Why businesses should be tapping into the world of eSports
Tech3 days ago
Russian rocket finally launches after 17 year delay