Connect with us

World

Businesses brace for impact as new COVID outbreak emerges across Australia

Published

on

Businesses in Australia are bracing themselves for a drop in revenue as fresh COVID cases lock down many states

For the first time in a year, Australia is dealing with outbreaks across the country.

An outbreak in Sydney linked to the highly contagious Delta variant has grown to 128 cases.

Cases have also been recorded in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia.

Health authorities say it is a “critical time” for the country, which has kept case numbers low with border closures and lockdowns.

This is the first time in months that cases have emerged in multiple parts of the country at the same time.

Businesses brace

Businesses are again feeling the impact of lockdowns and shut down orders with many in the travel sector, hospitality and arts again feeling the pinch.

A relief package to help Sydney businesses cope with the financial impacts of the city’s lockdown is expected to help operators recoup lost revenue and claim unused stock.

Lobbying from industry groups has meant the support package will echo the one provided to northern beaches businesses over the Christmas lockdown.

Sydney’s two-week lockdown is expected to wipe $2 billion off Australia’s GDP.

Australian leaders will hold an emergency meeting on Monday after a spike in Covid infections.

Both State and Federal Governments are now holding emergency crisis meetings in order to deal with emerging cases.

While thousands stayed indoors to work from home under new lockdown rules in multiple states, queues were spotted at Sydney’s mass vaccination centre.

Authorities are encouraging people to continue to get their vaccinations amid the stay-at-home order provided they wear a mask and are not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.

“I think we’re entering a new phase of this pandemic, with the more contagious Delta strain,”

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg told ABC News on Monday.

The escalation in Covid infections has prompted lockdowns in the cities of Sydney and Darwin, as well as restrictions across four states.

New South Wales hits breaking point

Meanwhile, the situation in New South Wales is at breaking point after the Bondi cluster rose to 110 cases over the weekend. 19 of the cases were not in isolation while they were infectious.

“I also do want to foreshadow that given how contagious this strain of the virus is, we do anticipate that in the next few days case numbers are likely to increase even beyond what we’ve seen,”

said NSW State Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour have started a two-week lockdown as a result.

There is mounting concern after a Virgin Australia crew member tested positive after flying to various cities across Australia

Other states enact tougher border restrictions to prevent further spread

The states of Victoria, South Australia, and Tasmania have all enacted tougher border restrictions with neighboring regions.

Meanwhile, the Australian Capital Territory is enforcing mask-wearing for the first time since the pandemic began.

aerial, Northern Territory

WA, Queensland and the Northern Territory are also dealing with new cases.

Both states have imposed heavy new restrictions and lockdowns have been extended.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

World

Police search for gunman after killing 6 at July 4 parade in Chicago

Published

on

Police are searching for a gunman who killed six people during a Fourth of July Independence Day Parade near Chicago

Residents are being urged to stay at home and contact their loved ones, with authorities confirming 24 people are currently hospitalised.

The event was being held in the city of Highland Park, and was brought to a standstill after several gun shots were heard at around 10:00am local time.

It was scheduled to include floats, marching bands, and community entertainment, all forming part of the Independence Day festivities.

The man has been described as white, aged 18-20, and police say he is “armed and dangerous”.

Authorities have now sectioned off a perimeter and recovered what they believe is “evidence of a firearm”.

U.S. President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill have released a statement saying they’re

“shocked by the senseless gun violence that has yet again brought grief to an American community”.

The President also touched on recent legislation to address gun violence, which he believes includes actions that will save lives, acknowledging there is “much more work to do.”

Continue Reading

World

Indonesia’s inflation soars to a 5-year high

Published

on

Indonesia’s inflation rate has hit a five-year high, as businesses continue to pass rising costs onto consumers

As countries around the world deal with the rising cost of living, Indonesia’s inflation rate has exceeded predictions.

The country’s consumer price index rose just above 4 percent in June, which is the biggest year-on-year climb since 2017.

This blew the Bank of Indonesia’s estimates out of the water, with the Bank expecting a rise of between 2 and 4 percent.

Experts say June’s inflation was largely triggered by red chilies, cayenne pepper, cooking oil, and shallots.

Prices of food, beverages, and tobacco all rose above 8 percent, and transportation is also helping drive inflation, especially in airline passenger fees due to high fuel costs.

Continue Reading

World

Several dead after horror shooting at Copenhagen shopping centre

Published

on

Several people are dead after a gunman opened fire at a shopping centre in Copenhagen

A mass shooting incident in one of Denmark’s largest shopping centres has left several people dead and others injured.

A 22-year-old Danish man has been arrested, with police refusing to rule out the attack being an act of terrorism.

Authorities arrived at Field’s mall in the Danish capital late on Sunday afternoon local time, as people were told to stay put and wait for assistance.

Local media has published images of terrified shoppers running for safety, with eyewitnesses describing panic as gunfire echoed through the shopping centre.

Credit: EPA

Singer Harry Styles was due to perform in the city, but the concert has been cancelled. Attendees have asked to leave Copenhagen’s Royal Arena.

LIVE NATION STATEMENT

The multi-storey shopping mall where the attack occurred is around 5 kilometres south of downtown Copenhagen.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD