A third Australian city will go into lockdown tonight as restrictions tighten across the nation in a race to contain a growing number of Covid-19 outbreaks
A third Australian city will go into lockdown tonight as restrictions tighten across the nation in a race to contain a growing number of #Covid19 outbreaks. #auspolpic.twitter.com/6ertgE2x0B
Health authorities have confirmed South Australia’s outbreak is the Delta strain, prompting the state to tighten restrictions.
From 6:00pm, there will be just five reasons to leave your home.
It follows the state recording FIVE new infections in its latest reporting period.
Premier Steven Marshall is providing a coronavirus update, he says “we have to act decisively, we have to act quickly.”
He says “there is no need for panic buying”, and there are plenty of supplies across the state.
“This is a dangerous time,” Mr Marshall said.
“I’m 100 per cent convinced that South Australians will rise to the challenge, will make sure they can abide by these new restrictions, and make sure we get through this in as short a time as possible.”
Victoria’s lockdown extended
Melbourne will extend its COVID lockdown by seven days.
It follows the state nine new cases of COVID-19 overnight, but authorities remain concerned about the rampant spread of the Delta strain of the virus.
That’s midnight next Tuesday, July 27.
“As promising as our progress has been avoiding a New South Wales-style long, lengthy, very challenging lockdown, where you just lose control of cases, we’ve avoided that, but we need more time,” Mr Andrews said.
“There are chains of transmission that are not yet contained, that we don’t know about.”
Premier Daniel Andrews has also announced any travel to Victoria using red zone permits will be temporarily paused.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says “the signs are positive” but the state needs more time to be certain as too when it can open up again.
Sydney and the state of New South Wales also remain in lockdown today
NSW is in the midst of a 5-week lockdown.
NSW recorded 78 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday.
Cheif Health Officer Kerry Chant said authorities were seeing more hospitalisations, admissions to ICU and people on ventilators.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the spread of the virus in workplaces and households remains a concern but that it is “always pleasing when we see a drop in the [day-by-day] numbers”.
“That 78 figure would have been much higher had people not been doing the right thing and we just need everyone to stick with it and make sure you protect yourself and your family and your work colleagues in particular. ”
Where did it all begin?
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant confirmed on Thursday that the Sydney driver who tested positive for COVID-19 had the Delta variant.
According to the ABC, while the recent COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria also involved the Delta variant, that outbreak was linked to a different source of infection.
The Delta variant was first detected in India in October last year.
UK authorities have estimated the Delta variant is 40 per cent more infectious than the Alpha variant that sent Britain into lockdown at the start of the year.
Matt Grudnoff from the Australia Institute says there is a possibility of a ‘double dip recession’ due to the variant causing cities to lockdown.
In Short:
– Police seek former protection officers of Prince Andrew for info on alleged Epstein-related offences.
– Authorities consider removing Mountbatten-Windsor from royal succession after investigation conclusions.
British police are reaching out to former protection officers of Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his recent arrest related to allegations of misconduct in a public office.
The police have urged anyone with information about potential sex offences connected to Jeffrey Epstein to come forward.Authorities are considering legislative measures to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal succession line once the investigation concludes. Any changes would require consultation with other realms where King Charles is head of state.
The recent allegations stem from claims that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential government documents with Epstein during his time as a trade envoy. The London Metropolitan Police is now identifying former officers who may assist in the ongoing investigation and has encouraged them to share any pertinent information.
Mountbatten-Windsor has denied wrongdoing in the Epstein matter.
In 2022, he settled a civil lawsuit filed in the U.S. by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse. Reports indicated he paid her approximately £12 million, a claim he denies.
Police Investigation
London authorities are reassessing previous decisions not to pursue criminal investigations related to Epstein’s activities.
Recent document releases from the U.S. government have prompted police to explore allegations of human trafficking involving Epstein at UK airports.
Police have been actively searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s residences as part of their investigation. His arrest marks an unprecedented event in modern royal history, raising significant public interest and concern in various countries.
In Short:
– The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that Trump lacks authority for tariffs without Congress support.
– Over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers complicate the tariff issue, particularly for smaller businesses.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, stating he lacks the authority to impose tariffs without clear congressional support. Trump expressed disappointment and plans to implement a new 10% global tariff under different legal provisions.
Economists estimate more than $175 billion is at risk of refunds related to previously established tariffs, with potential litigations expected to last several years.Trump’s administration faces over 1,000 refund lawsuits from importers in the Court of International Trade, which ruled it can grant refunds to affected businesses. Each importer may need to pursue individual lawsuits, complicating the process, especially for smaller businesses that could find the financial burden prohibitive.
Learning Resources Inc., a toy company led by Rick Woldenberg, has contested these tariffs, potentially qualifying for refunds. Woldenberg hopes the Supreme Court ruling will initiate reflection on necessary economic adjustments.
Economic Impact
Economists suggest consumers may not notice significant changes due to persistent tariffs on numerous products. U.S. Treasury estimates predict the deputy’s revenue will remain largely unchanged despite Trump’s new plans to increase tariffs through other channels, specifically under Sections 122 and 301 of the Trade Act.
Trump’s forthcoming address to Congress is expected to address the implications of this ruling, which notably undermines a fundamental aspect of his trade agenda.
Despite past assurances regarding reform, uncertainties remain for both businesses and consumers as the administration explores future tariff strategies.
Bill Gates withdraws from India’s AI Impact Summit amid renewed scrutiny over past ties to Jeffrey Epstein.
Bill Gates has withdrawn from India’s AI Impact Summit just hours before his keynote, as scrutiny grows over his past ties to Jeffrey Epstein following the release of US Justice Department emails.
The summit has faced criticism over organisational issues and traffic disruptions, drawing attention away from its mission. Despite the chaos, it has secured over $200 billion in investment commitments, including a major pledge from Reliance Industries.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi used the platform to stress the importance of protecting children in the rapidly evolving world of AI.