Connect with us

World

Why Rishi Sunak won’t live at No.11 Downing Street

Published

on

Rishi Sunak will return to live at Downing Street, opting for the flat above No.10

Rishi Sunak will return to live at Downing Street, opting for the flat above No.10 instead of the flat above No. 11.

Sunak and his family actually lived in this very residence while he was Chancellor under Boris Johnson.

Despite the British prime minister’s office being located at Number 10, every leader since Tony Blair has lived in the flat above Number 11.

This is because it’s actually more spacious and better for families.

When asked why Sunak has opted for Number 10, a Downing Street spokesperson said “they were very happy there.”

Credit: The Time

This follows the PM speculating during the summer leadership contest that his family would ‘probably just move back into the flat where [they] used to live’, if he won.

No. 11 is officially designated for the Chancellor, with Tony Blair and his family the first to make the switch, swapping homes with the then-unmarried Gordon Brown.

First PMQs

Rishi Sunak has faced his first prime minister’s questions, clashing with opposition leader Sir Keir Starmer and undoing the work of Liz Truss in just one day.

Starmer is calling for a general election.

Today, Sunak reintroduced the Conservatives’ moratorium on fracking in England, going against Truss’ decision to lift the ban in areas where there was local consent.

This controversial practice for removing gas and oil from the ground was halted in 2019 after concerns were raised about earth tremors.

Credit: BBC

Meanwhile, Starmer accused the PM of making a “grubby deal” to reappoint Suella Braverman as home secretary.

“He’s done a grubby deal, trading national security because he was scared to lose another leadership election”

sir keir starmer, uk opposition leader
Credit: Financial Times

This of course comes just six days after she resigned over data breaches.

Rishi Sunak says Braverman made an error of judgement and has since apologised.

“[Starmer] talks about votes, about mandates, about elections. It’s a bit rich coming from the person who tried to overturn the biggest democratic vote in our country’s history.”

rishi sunak, uk prime minister
FILE PHOTO: British Attorney General and Conservative leadership candidate Suella Braverman attends the Conservative Way Forward launch event in London, Britain, July 11, 2022. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Continue Reading

World

Russia exchanging food for arms from North Korea

Published

on

The U.S. says any arms deal would violate UN Security Council resolutions

 
Russia is actively seeking more arms from North Korea to bolster its war on Ukraine.

The White House says Russia is sending a delegation to North Korea to offer food in exchange for weapons.

U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby also revealed the U.S. had new information about a deal.

Kirby says the U.S. was monitoring the situation, and the alleged deal very closely.

“We also understand that Russia is seeking to send a delegation in North Korea and that Russia is offering North Korea food in exchange for munitions,” he said.

Kirby added that any arms deal between North Korea and Russia would violate UN Security Council resolutions.

Continue Reading

World

Mass Casualty Commission delivers assessment of 2020 tragedy

Published

on

Twenty-two people were killed as the gunman evaded capture for 13 hours

Members of a joint provincial and federal inquiry into Canada’s deadliest mass shooting to date have provided their assessment of the tragedy – which left 22 people dead.

On 18-19 April 2020, a gunman driving a fake police car spent more than 13 hours evading capture and killed 22 people.

The Mass Casualty Commission is the taskforce assigned to investigate the Nova Scotia incident.

Now, the Commission’s damming report has found a cascade of failures within Canada’s federal police actually worsened the mass shooting.

The report says the nation’s police force has shown little interest in reforming in the years since.

The commission details fixes to systemic failures within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that are needed to restore trust in policing and ultimately prevent another national tragedy.

It found the attack profoundly damaged the collective identity of those affected by the killing, with many residents no longer feeling safe in their rural homes.

The report has also provided the most detailed account of what happened over those two fateful days.

The 51-year-old shooter assaulted his partner and then, armed with illegal firearms, left his home in a replica police vehicle, driving around a beachside community.

In less than an hour, he killed 13 neighbours and set fire to five homes and structures.

He managed to escape capture and, the next morning, killed nine more people.

The commission’s hearings began in early 2021 and ran for nearly a year – and stemmed from the frustration and grief of families who demanded answers.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says lawmakers will look at the findings and make appropriate changes to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump indicted over hush money payment to Stormy Daniels

Published

on

Donald Trump has become the first former U.S. President to be indicted as he makes another run for the White House

Donald Trump has been indicted by a Manhattan grand jury following a probe into hush money paid to porn star Stormy Daniels.

The probe was led by Democratic Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, which could change the 2024 presidential race.

It means Donald Trump becomes the first former U.S. President to be criminally charged.

It is unclear what the specific charges are, however, the indictment will likely be announced in the coming days, according to the New York Times.

The former president will then have to travel to Manhattan for fingerprinting and other processing.

If he is convicted, Trump could face significant fines and possibly jail time.

The payment stems from a Trump Organisation reimbursement to Trump’s then-lawyer Michael Cohen.

He paid Daniels to keep her quiet about an alleged sexual encounter she allegedly had with Trump in 2006.

Cohen pleaded guilty to campaign finance law violations in 2018. He testified Trump directed him to make the payments and was sentenced to three years in prison.

“For the first time in our Country’s history, a President (current or former) of the United States has been indicted. I take no pride in issuing this statement and wish to also remind everyone of the presumption of innocence; as provided by the due process clause,” Cohen told NBC News.

Trump has previously said he would continue campaigning for the Republican Party’s nomination if he was charged with a crime.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2023 The Ticker Company PTY LTD