Connect with us

Sport

School children will be the only spectators of Tokyo Paralympic Games

Published

on

Spectators will not be allowed at the Tokyo Paralympic Games because of the city’s ongoing struggle with coronavirus, organisers have confirmed

A man is seated next to blocked off seats at the BMX freestyle venue during a test event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Urban Sports Park in Tokyo on May 17, 2021. (Photo by CHARLY TRIBALLEAU / AFP)

The Japanese government has proposed expanding and extending the country’s state of emergency, with the Paralympics beginning on 24 August.

Organisers confirmed spectators would not be allowed at events in Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Shizuoka because of infection rates in those regions.

“In light of the current emergency declaration issued for Tokyo, Saitama and Chiba Prefectures, another declaration of the state of emergency being requested by Shizuoka prefecture and the current infection situation broadly, more stringent measures will be taken for competitions to be held in these prefectures, including having no spectators,” the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Government of Japan announced in a joint press statement.

Schoolchildren will still be allowed to attend at the request of local authorities or school administrators.

Spectators were absent for the majority of events during the Tokyo Olympics.

“We very much regret that this situation has impacted the Paralympic Games, following the Olympic Games, and we sincerely apologise to all ticket buyers who were looking forward to watching the Games at the venues. We hope that you understand that these measures are unavoidable and being implemented in order to prevent the spread of infection. Everyone is encouraged to watch the Games at home,” the statement added.

The Tokyo Paralympic games are scheduled to commence on August 24

Sport

Aussie golfer celebrates championship with ‘how many beers fit’ in Claret Jug

Published

on

Australia’s Cameron Smith has produced an incredible back-nine birdie blitz to win the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews, taking home his first major victory

Smith is the first Australian golfer to win the British Open since Greg Norman claimed the title back in 1993.

Starting his final round four shots back from leaders Rory McIlroy and Viktor Hovland, Smith shot a final-round 8-under 64 to surge to the top of the leaderboard and lift the Claret Jug.

https://twitter.com/TheOpen/status/1548725469670957058

“What a week. I’m going to fall apart here I know,” Smith said after the win.

“All the hard work we’ve done over the last couple of years has really started to pay off, and this one definitely makes it worth it.

“I had a lot of support out there, especially the Aussie guys. You kept me going out there. This one’s for Oz.”

How many beers fit in a Claret jug?

In tears, Smith told the crowd he was going to fall apart here after lifting the trophy, but in true Aussie fashion, the golfer wants to find out how many beers will fit in the prized jug.

Continue Reading

Sport

Canadian Open set to have a star-studded field

Published

on

Serena Williams and Rafael Nadal will play in the Canadian Open next month

Pro players, Williams and Nadal are set to play in the Canadian Open in August, amid speculation about their future in tennis.

40-year-old Serena ended a 12-month drought, after playing at Wimbledon earlier this month. But the 23 grand slam champ lost in the first round to Harmony Tan.

The tournament will mark Nadal’s return to the field after his time at Wimbledon was cut short before the finals because of an injury. Read more.

The two tennis stars are part of a star-studded field of competitors for the Canadian tournament. They will join 40 of the top 43 ranked tennis players in the world.

Other star players include Naomi Osaka, Coco Gauff, Emma Raducanu, Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Casper Ruud and Carlos Alcaraz.

The event runs in the lead up to the US Open which will be the last grand slam of the year. The Canadian Open will take place in Toronto and Montreal from August the 6th.

Continue Reading

Sport

Liverpool fans incorrectly blamed for Champions League chaos

Published

on

A “litany of administrative errors” is how French authorities are describing a security breach at this year’s Champions League Final

The French Government initially blamed Liverpool supporters and fake tickets for the chaos in which Champions League fans were tear-gassed at the final in May.

But a new report has found the supporters were blamed unfairly, and a series of “administrative errors” caused the chaos. The senate report found “dysfunctional mistakes were made at every level”.

The final was delayed by more than half an hour after police held back people who were trying to enter the stadium.

The report takes aim at Paris Police, UEFA and the French Government for failing to plan, and for blaming the supporters.

“It is unfair to have sought to blame supporters of the Liverpool team for the disturbances, as the interior minister has done, to deflect attention from the state’s inability to properly manage the crowd and suppress the action of several hundred violent and organised delinquents.”

Many fans made formal complaints about being pushed, and assaulted at the time.

Opposition lawmakers believe the scandal has damaged France’s overseas reputation.

Real Madrid ended up winning the match in a 1-nil victory.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD