Connect with us

Business

Ticketmaster cancels public sale for upcoming Taylor Swift tour

Published

on

ticketmaster cancels

Ticketmaster cancels public sale for Taylor Swift tour, fans and lawmakers demand answers

If you’re a die hard Taylor Swift fan, chances are you’re pretty frustrated right now.

Ticketmaster has cancelled the general public ticket sale for Taylor Swift’s ‘Eras’ tour.

Executives are citing”extraordinarily high demands on ticketing systems and insufficient remaining ticket inventory” as the reason behind this decision.

Ticketmaster’s site crashed on Tuesday during the first release of tickets for Swift’s U.S. leg of the tour. The company has already sold more than 2 million tickets in pre-sales.

Now, a Democratic Senator is calling for answers, sending a letter to Ticketmaster’s parent company, Live Nation Entertainment.

In the letter, Senator and chair of the Senate antitrust panel, Amy Klobuchar, voices “serious concern.” She is worried “about the state of competition in the ticketing industry and its harmful impact on consumers.”

“Ticketmaster’s power in the primary ticket market insulates it from the competitive pressures that typically push companies to innovate and improve their services.”

In a statement released by the ticketing giant, the company says it did anticipate heavy demand for tickets to see Swift perform on her first tour in five years. But extreme interest, combined with bot attacks, led to “unprecedented traffic on the site.”

The company says around 15 per cent of interactions on the site experienced issues and overall it sold 2 million tickets on Tuesday alone.

Meanwhile, Klobuchar is asking Live Nation Chief Executive Michael Rapino to provide an explanation.

The Senator wants to know how much of the company’s profits have been spent on upgrading ticketing technology and how many tour tickets were reserved for the presale.

The Ticketmaster statement did not respond to these questions.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Business

The #SunburnChallenge has been blocked on TikTok Australia

Published

on

TikTok Australia has partnered with Melanoma Institute Australia for a new campaign to stop glamourising tanning

As Australians prepare for warmer temperatures, TikTok Australia is seeking to put an end to the viral #SunburnChallenge.

The challenge has led to users uploading videos of their sunburned bodies onto the platform.

However, the video-sharing app will begin removing these videos under the ‘Tanning. That’s Cooked’ campaign.

The initiative is targeted at 20–39 year old Australians who are partaking in the trend.

It will use humour to throw shade at tanning, and turn Australia’s tanning culture on its head.

Lee Hunter is the general manager at TikTok, who said humour is the key to shaping this demographic rather than serious corporate or health messages.

“The campaign is inviting TikTok creators to use humour and throw shade at tanning in their own authentic way, helping to spread the word and change the perception of tanning.”

LEE HUNTER, TIKTOK AUSTRALIA

Skin cancer is the most deadly form of the disease for Australians. It is typically caused by an over-exposure to the sun and ultra-violet radiation.

While it is preventable in most cases, the disease is the most common cancer among 20–39 year olds.

“Everyone who searches for a hashtag related to summer sun, tanning and many other summertime phrases, will see the ‘Tanning. That’s Cooked.’ banner and will be provided with information that outlines the dangers of tanning, with links to Melanoma Institute Australia,” Mr Hunter said.

The plea was made by Melanoma Institute Australia (MIA), who have pushed for social media stars and influencers to stop glamourising tanning.

Matthew Browne is the chief executive at MIA, who said the TikTok partnership will help to strengthen the message for younger Australians.

“One Aussie is diagnosed with melanoma every 30 minutes and it claims more lives than the national road toll. Tanning is actually skin cells in trauma.”

MATTHEW BROWNE, MELANOMA INSTITUTE AUSTRALIA

“There is no safe way of sun tanning, including the concept of getting a protective ‘base tan’ at the start of summer.”

“That’s like saying smoking a few cigarettes a day will protect you from developing lung cancer,” he explained.

TikTok has recently stepped up its social responsibility commitments. In October, the platform said it intends to “drive a deeper understanding and awareness of the importance of mental wellbeing”.

According to a recent poll, of over 1,000 participants, 23 per cent of Australians believe mental wellbeing is more important than physical wellbeing.

TikTok has developed wellbeing guides, which share practical advice for people to be more considerate about what they share online.

Continue Reading

Business

CNN begins mass layoffs

Published

on

CNN has begun cutting hundreds of staff from its news operations around the world

CNN is eliminating some 400 positions around the world, equating to about 10% of staff.

The cuts come on top of the August closure of CNN+, which resulted in the departure of more than 200 employees.

Staff waited anxiously for a notification of a video call in which they would be laid off.

HLN will drop all live programming.

Its international quarters has also been impacted, with a loss of programming in London.

It comes after a tumultuous year for its new parent company, following the merger between Discovery and Warner Brothers.

Continue Reading

Business

Contentious industrial relations laws pass Australian parliament

Published

on

Labor government is making the most extensive changes to workplace relations laws in nearly two decades.

Australia’s Employment Minister Tony Burke struck a deal on the Secure Jobs, Better Pay Bill with independent ACT senator David Pocock, who holds the balance of power in the upper house.

It came after a late-night meeting in which Senator Pocock secured series of concessions in exchange for his support.

Labor will adopt the recommendations from a parliamentary inquiry into the Bill including changing the definition of a small business that can be excluded from multi-employer bargaining.

The definition now identifies a small business from one that employs 15 people to one that employs 20.

It will also be easier for a business with 50 employees or fewer to opt out of multi-employer bargaining.

Such businesses will be given a stronger ability to argue to the Fair Work Commission that they should be excluded.

The expansion of multiemployer bargaining makes it easier for workers at different companies within one industry to band together to call for better pay and conditions.

This is the most contentious element of the legislation.

Under the “single interest” stream, workers will be able to negotiate a single enterprise agreement to cover different workplaces, as long as a majority of employees at each company involved agree to do so.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD