Connect with us

Business

Singapore tightens restrictions again as COVID spikes

Published

on

Singapore is set to tighten COVID019 restrictions, again

The nation will tighten restrictions on dining-in and social gatherings again and halt indoor exercise from this Thursday.

The tougher stance on restrictions comes amid a record daily number of Covid-19 infections fueled by highly transmissible strains of the virus that are spreading across Southeast Asia.

Dining-in will be suspended and group gatherings will be cut from five people to just two through to August 18.

Health authorities stated that these measures were to be reviewed after two weeks.

Singapore will also unveil a virus support package in the coming days, which Finance Minister Lawrence Wong says would “take reference” from earlier aid. A prior package cost S$1.2 billion.

Supermarkets and wet markets will be allowed to remain open, despite authorities saying there was “considerable exposure” of coronavirus within these venues.

More than 85% of Singaporeans aged 60 to 69 have been vaccinated, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung confirmed, along with 71-72% of seniors above age 70.

Author

  • Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Business

2500 employees to be stood down from Qantas

Published

on

About 2500 frontline Qantas and Jetstar employees will be stood down for two months

BREAKING NEWS

It comes as the airline struggles to deal with lockdowns in states across Australia.

The national carrier says the stand-down is a temporary measure to deal with a drop in flying caused by COVID restrictions in Sydney, – which is its home base.

No job losses are expected as part of the move.

QANTAS CEO ALAN JOYCE

In a statement, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce says:

“This is clearly the last thing we want to do, but we’re now faced with an extended period of reduced flying and that means no work for a number of our people.”

“We’ve absorbed a significant amount of cost since these recent lockdowns started and continued paying our people their full rosters despite thousands of cancelled flights.“

Qantas said it welcomed the targeted Federal Government support offered for those stood down outside of declared hotspots and to retain domestic aviation capability.

Continue Reading

Business

Outside the square – Twitter CEO’s grand plans for Afterpay

Published

on

Jack Dorsey has used Square’s quarterly earnings call to outline his company’s future and convince shareholders to support the $39billion dollar Afterpay takeover bid

Dorsey believes bringing Afterpay into business operations will increase e-commerce activity across both platforms and further entice young shoppers to spend up.

It plans to takeover Afterpay in a deal that values the Australian company at $39 billion. That makes it the biggest buyout deal so far in Australian corporate history.

The Twitter founder says Afterpay has a unique advantage in the buy now, pay later sector because it was the first on the scene and it has been built up “authentically”.

SQAURE WILL ACQUIRE AFTERPAY IN A 39 BILLION DOLLAR DEAL

Dorsey says Afterpay was “extremely early in this space and helped define a lot of it, and really raised the bar for what everyone else doing – we were impressed by the vision, the ambition and the entrepreneurship”.

Following the takeover announcement, Square’s shares fell by 5 percent when compared with trading on Friday, as investors made sense of the deal.

However, after Dorsey’s pitch at the quarterly earnings call, Squares shares were up 6 percent from Friday.

It comes as shareholders voice their concerns that Square is failing to bring merchants and retail users together… and questioning how Afterpay will create value for the company.

James Whelan of VFS Group weighed in on whether Afterpay is in fact authentic.

Continue Reading

Business

‘Jungle Cruise’ tallies $34.2 million in domestic debut, reaches Disney+ record

Published

on

After Disney struggled during the past few weeks, the studios latest feature film “Jungle Cruise” opened to $61 million dollars worldwide.

The film was also released on Disney Plus’ Premier Access and brought in over $30 million globally on the platform.

Overall, the film, which is based on the beloved Disney theme park ride, notched more than $90 million.

The “Jungle Cruise” opening is also notable because it comes just a few days after Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney.

Author

  • Jack is a journalist and producer at Ticker NEWS. He's previously worked for digital media publications in Australia and the US. Jack is particularly interested in reporting on international affairs and sport.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd