Connect with us

World

Russia’s military mobilisation is off to a rocky start

Published

on

Russia’s military mobilisation is off to a rocky start as voting begins in Ukraine

Russia’s military mobilisation is off to a rocky start, with thousands of men continuing to flee the country.

The nation’s President Vladimir Putin has moved to bolster his military forces abroad, while cracking down on dissent within his own borders.

On Sunday, Russia’s two most senior lawmakers addressed a string of complaints about the mobilisation drive. They ordered regional officials to get a handle on the situation and swiftly solve the issues currently stoking public anger.

In recent days we’ve heard reports of ineligible men being forced into the military, and even recruiters looking for people who simply don’t exist.

Activists are raising concerns about ethnic minorities, who are allegedly being unfairly drafted into Russian military service.

This is Russia’s first draft since World War II and the nation hopes to recruit 300,000 new men for the front line.

Nuclear warning

It comes as U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan warns Russia against the use of nuclear weapons.

Speaking to NBC’s Meet The Press, Sullivan said “if Russia crosses this line, there will be catastrophic consequences for Russia. The United States will respond decisively. Now in private channels, we have spelled out in greater detail exactly what that would mean”.

Meanwhile, voting continues this weekend in what’s being called a sham referendum. This would see four eastern regions of Ukraine move closer to Moscow.

Ukrainians have reported armed soldiers going door-to-door in occupied parts of the country to collect votes. Many residents are fearful further persecution could follow if residents don’t show allegiance to Russia.

That voting is set to wrap up on Tuesday – but its accuracy is already being called into question.

When asked about this, Sullivan made reference to the recent statement released by G7 leaders and flagged further announcements in the coming days.

“They reiterated that there would be consequences and specified that that would include additional enhanced sanctions, including sanctions on entities and companies outside of Russia that are supporting the Russian war machine or supporting these fake referenda or Russia’s efforts,” Sullivan said.

Truss slams Putin

It comes as UK Prime Minister Liz Truss delivers a scathing review of Vladimir Putin’s attempt to take control of Ukraine.

Speaking to CNN’s Jake Tapper, Truss says Putin’s military escalation is a clear indication that the Russian leader is clutching at straws.

It’s the PM’s first U.S. interview since taking office. The British leader stepped into the role at a crucial time both domestically and internationally.

Truss also met with U.S. President Joe Biden on Wednesday. She told CNN Washington remains “an incredibly close partner”.

“I do think our relationship is special and it’s increasingly important at a time when we’re facing threats from Russia, increased assertiveness from China. You know, we are both freedom-loving democracies. We have such a strong connection,” Truss said.

When it comes to Putin’s aggression, Truss says the West must be relentless in its use of sanctions to hold the Russian leader and his nation to account.

“I think he has been outsmarted by the Ukrainians. We’ve seen the Ukrainians continue to push back against the Russian offensive. And I think he didn’t anticipate the strength of reaction from the free world.”

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

World

AUKUS meetings wrap up as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

Published

on

Australia's defence minister

The first AUKUS meetings wrap up in Washington as Australia eyes off nuclear submarines

The first round of AUKUS meetings have wrapped up, with U.S. Defence Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin praising the talks as an “historic endeavour”.

Following an agreement made in Washington, Australia will have nuclear-powered submarines at the “earliest possible date”.

Defence Secretary Austin joined Australia’s Richard Marles and the UK’s Ben Wallace at the Pentagon. The leaders discussed key challenges and opportunities confronting the world right now.

High on the agenda was the contentious Indo-Pacific region, in response to “ongoing Chinese aggression”.

The meeting comes as Australia looks to move away from its conventional Collins-class subs and invest in nuclear-powered vessels.

The U.S. reaffirming its commitment to ensure its pacific partner will acquire this capability at the earliest possible date.

Australia’s Deputy PM and Defence Minister Richard Marles says the submarines are “central” to advancing the military capabilities of the alliance.

“There is an enormous sense of shared mission and momentum across all three countries, in having Australia acquire a nuclear powered submarine,” Marles said.

“The significance of that step shouldn’t be lost on people. There’s only been one occasion where a country has shared that capability with another. That was the United States with the United Kingdom a long time ago.”

But while we’ve heard the meetings went well, leaders are remaining tight-lipped about the exact details and any deals that have been made.

AUKUS has set a target of March 2023 to figure out a plan for Australia to acquire the nuclear subs.

Continue Reading

World

Arrests made in Germany over a suspicious plan

Published

on

Well arrests have been made in Germany over suspicious activity to overthrow the nation’s government.

Twenty-five people have been arrested as part of the raids across the country.

The group reportedly includes far-right and ex-military figures.

It’s understood they were planning to storm the nation’s parliament and take over control.

Suspects include racists and conspiracy theorists, and Q-Anon believers.

Three thousand officers took part in the sting involving 150 operations in 11 of Germany’s 16 states.

Arrests were also made in Italy and Austria.

Continue Reading

World

Twist in trial over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Published

on

There’s been an unusual development in the trial of Airbus and Air France over the crash of a Rio to Paris flight in 2009

Ticker’s Europe Correspondent Ryan Thompson has more from Paris

After weeks in court, prosecutors have decided NOT to ask for a conviction of the two French companies – even as they acknowledge that’s not what victims families would want.  

French prosecutors said they were unable to prove the companies were guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Their guilt “appears to us to be impossible to prove. We know that this view will most likely be difficult to hear for the civil plaintiffs,” prosecutors said.

Prosecutors initially dropped charges against the companies in 2019. This sparked anger in families of the victims.

A Paris appeals court overturned this decision in 2021 and ordered the trial to go ahead. 

“We have a prosecutor who is supposed to defend the people who in the end is defending the multinational Airbus,” Daniele Lamy, the head of victims’ association Entraide et Solidarite AF447, told reporters.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD