Connect with us

Uncategorized

Russian court finds opposition figure Alexei Navalny guilty of fraud

Published

on

A Russian court has found the nation’s opposition figure Alexei Navalny guilty on embezzlement charges

Prosecutors are seeking to have him sent to a maximum-security penal colony for 13 years on charges of fraud and contempt of court.

Navalny is already serving a two-and-a-half year sentence near Moscow for parole violations.

These were related to charges that he believes were to gag him as a political opponent of President Vladimir Putin.

His national movement has been labelled “extremist” and shut down by the Kremlin.

But he has continued to issue messages on social media from prison through his legal team and aides recently urging Russians to oppose the war in Ukraine.

It comes as Russia’s Ministry of Defence repeatedly claims it is not targeting civilians in the nation.

We spoke to Human Rights Watch researcher Richard Weir about the scale of violence unfolding in Ukraine.

“We’re seeing continued attacks by Russian forces that violate the laws of war,” he says.

“We’re talking about indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks on civilian populated areas with weapons that do an incredible amount of harm.”

Costa is a news producer at ticker NEWS. He has previously worked as a regional journalist at the Southern Highlands Express newspaper. He also has several years' experience in the fire and emergency services sector, where he has worked with researchers, policymakers and local communities. He has also worked at the Seven Network during their Olympic Games coverage and in the ABC Melbourne newsroom. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Professional), with expertise in journalism, politics and international relations. His other interests include colonial legacies in the Pacific, counter-terrorism, aviation and travel.

Uncategorized

Puerto Rico rebuilds after Hurricane Fiona; Florida continues search and rescue operations after Hurricane Ian

Published

on

The 2022 Atlantic Hurricane season isn’t over until November 1

U.S. President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill jetted off to Puerto Rico on Monday.

The president pledged $60 million in federal funding for the island which was ravaged by hurricane Fiona weeks ago.

“We’re with you, I mean it—all of America’s with you as you receive and recover and rebuild,” he said.

“We’re investing in Puerto Rico’s roads, bridges, public transit, ports, airports, water safety and high-speed Internet.

Meanwhile, back on the U.S. mainland down in Florida Governor Ron DeSantis talked about the search and rescue operations that continue after Florida’s southwestern coast was hit last week by Hurricane Ian.

“So far we’ve had more than 1,900 rescues with more than 1,000 personnel having gone door-to-door to 65 different structures to check on occupants and those are mostly structures in the really hard head areas—the barrier islands and the like.”

Gov. DeSantis added that their division of emergency management is continuing to bring large quantities of water, food, and other substances into the area to help everybody get by.

He said, “we’re also distributing tarps for the roofs—although I will tell you one thing, I’ve noticed the new construction in Florida seemed to have held up very well.”

Florida’s office of emergency management says about half of a million residents are still without power—and that they are working to restore it by Sunday.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Ex-military contractor escapes house arrest

Published

on

Mastermind of the largest corruption scandal in US Navy history is on the run after cutting of his ankle bracelet

A former military contractor who was at the centre of the largest corruption scandal in U.S. Navy history, has escaped house arrest.

It comes just three weeks before he was set to face sentencing.

The fugitive, known to many as “Fat Leonard”, pleaded guilty to bribery and fraud charges in 2015.

He bribed U.S. Navy officials with cash, prostitutes, and all-expenses paid trips, in exchange for access to military intelligence, earning him millions.

According to authorities, when police arrived at Francis’ home, all that they found was an ankle bracelet he had cut off and left in a portable cooler.

This all comes as the U.S. Military is reporting a 13 per cent spike in the number of sexual assaults last year.

It’s understood 36,000 service members had experienced unwanted sexual assault, with the Army reporting its largest spike in nearly a decade.

Despite this, the Pentagon says it is working to stamp out this poor behaviour.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Another tanker got stuck in the Suez Canal – here’s the rescue mission

Published

on

Another ship got stuck in the Suez Canal

A crude oil tanker has been re-floated after blocking the famous Canal in Egypt.

According to a spokesman for Suez Canal Authority… the Affinity-V vessel became stuck in a single-lane stretch of the canal – but not as long as the last giant tanker of 20-21 that we all remember

The Affinity was refloated after tugboats were deployed to assist.

Affinity V was floating again about five hours later, authority spokesperson George Safwat said. 

Affinity V was travelling from Portugal to Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea port of Yanbu.

It’s unclear how much oil the Singaporean-flagged ship was carrying, but ABC reported it has a capacity to carry more than 110,000 tonnes. 

It’s been 18 months since the Ever Given container ship blocked the canal for six days.

The blockage created a massive traffic jam that held up 9 billion a day in global trade.

Thankfully… the Affinity isn’t in the same boat.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD