Connect with us

Sport

Athletes rally behind Naomi Osaka’s withdrawal from the French Open

Published

on

One of the biggest names in women’s tennis has stunned the tennis world, withdrawing from the French Open due to mental health concerns.

After winning her round one match Naomi Osaka refused to speak to the media in what is a traditional press conference – post any match at the grand slams.

Osaka was fined USD$15,000 and initially slammed by other players.

Grand Slam officials threatened to suspend Osaka from future tournaments after she boycotted the press conferences during the French Open.

The 23-year-old said last week she would not do news conferences at the French open to protect her mental health.

World number two Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open, REVEALING A STATEMENT ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

It’s a story that turned within the space of a few hours. Initially players including Ash Barty and Rafa Nadal suggested press conferences are part of the sport, but the backlash against the tournament has been fierce.

NBA coach Stan Van Gundy sent out a tweet saying “Just a question for the tennis authorities – is it better for your sport to have Naomi Osaka playing and not speaking to the media or not playing at all?”

Other influential names to support Osaka included Billie Jean King, Venus Williams, NBA Star Steph Curry and Sloane Stephens.

The Japanese four-time major winner says she gets “huge waves of anxiety” before speaking to the world’s media.

Osaka sent out a statement across her social media channels saying quote “Anyone that knows me knows that Im introverted. and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I’m often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety”

Sport

Major League Baseball has told a team to stop testing for Coronavirus

Published

on

A Boston Redsox outfielder said that MLB told his team struggling with COVID-19 to treat symptoms, instead of testing

The Boston Redsox have nine players who have tested positive with coronavirus.

When questioned about the situation on WEEI’s Merloni & Fauria show, Refroe said the league had instructed the team to stop testing for the virus.

“MLB basically told us to stop the testing and just treat the symptoms,” Renfroe said.

“We’re like ‘No. We’re gonna figure out what’s going on and try to keep this thing under control.'”

When the bewildered host asked Renfroe to confirm if Major League Baseball had asked the team to stop testing, he confirmed “yes”.

Major League Baseball quickly released a statement to Julian McWilliams of the Boston Globe saying Renfroe’s claim was incorrect.

“He (Renfroe) is completely wrong and inaccurate.” the statement said.

The Red Sox are currently missing shortstop Xander Bogart, starters Nick Pivetta and Martin Perez, outfielder Jarren Duran, and closer Matt Barnes because of the outbreak.

The Redsox have released a statement saying they have followed league COVID restrictions, and will continue to test. The team is currently under the 85% vaccinated threshold to ease restrictions imposed by the league.

-By Parker McKenzie



Continue Reading

Sport

North Korea banned from the next Olympics

Published

on

The ‘Hermit Kingdom’ has been banned from the 2022 Winter Olympics because it skipped the Tokyo games this year

The International Olympics Committee (IOC) announced the suspension of the North Korean Olympic Committee until the end of 2022. The Beijing Winter Olympics will run from the 4th-20th of February, 2022.


IOC president Thomas Bach announced the suspension on Wednesday.

“They were in violation of the Olympic Charter, and did not fulfil their obligation as stated in the Olympic Charter to participate in the games of the Olympiad by sending athletes.” Bach said.

North Korea announced in April that it would skip the games over coronavirus concerns.

Bach said that any athlete who qualifies for the games may be able to compete under a neutral flag, in the same way Russian athletes have competed since the countries doping ban.

“Athletes should not suffer from wrong decisions of their agencies or their officials,” Bach said.

“So there we have kept this door open.”

The International Olympic Committee said that North Korea will forfeit an undisclosed amount of money in financial support.

The decision could influence countries considering boycotting the China based Olympics over concerns of human rights.

When asked about this in response to the IOC helping Afhgan athletes receive visas, Bach downplayed the IOC’s ability to influence the actions of the Chinese government.

“There are limitations in our influence,” the IOC president said.

“It’s to take care of humanitarian issues within the Olympic community. This is what we are doing.”

North Korea had 20 athletes compete at the 2018 winter Olympics in South Korea, winning no medals. They previously sent no competitors to the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014.

-By Parker McKenzie

Continue Reading

Sport

Good-bye Hamilton? Verstappen takes lead after F1 lead

Published

on

Max Verstappen has taken the lead in the Formula One driver’s championship after a victory in front of his home fans at the Dutch Grand Prix

The Dutchman converted his pole position to a second consecutive win over Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1434611291029532674

It comes as the Formula 1 season returned to Circuit Zandvoort for the first time since 1985.

Valtteri Bottas finished in third, as an army of fans painted in orange cheered on their home hero.

Verstappen is now three points ahead of Hamilton for the championship, as drivers prepare for next weekend’s race at Monza in Italy.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1434532062061600774

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd