Connect with us

World

NATO: China calls the US “very sick indeed”

Published

on

Fractured relationship between US and China after NATO summit

China hits back at US in response to recent North Atlantic Treaty Organisation meeting

China hit out at the United States, after President Joe Biden met with European NATO leaders to discuss the growing threat posed by the communist nation.

The NATO leaders agreed to put up a united front against China. They signed a communique, expressing concern about China’s policies towards Taiwan and Hong Kong.

However, China was less than impressed with the meeting, seeing it as a confrontational move.

“The U.S. is ill and very ill indeed.”

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said

“The G-7 had better take its pulse and come up with a prescription,” he said.

He also added the NATO meeting “exposes the bad intentions of the U.S. and a few others,” who he says are seeking to “expand differences and disagreements”.

NATO leaders put up a united front against China

US President Joe Biden had wanted an even stronger response to China from the other world leaders. However, he settled for a modest condemnation.

The events of this week show that despite Donald Trump leaving the White House, Washington’s tone against China hasn’t changed.

They see China as a growing threat, and are building up a coalition around the world to try and contain China.

China says it won’t “sit back”

The communist nation warned NATO it won’t “sit back” in the face of any challenges.

The move illustrates the potential for tensions to escalate while the United States tries to convince its allies to take a tougher approach to the Asian nation.

In a statement, Beijing says it doesn’t pose a “systemic challenge” to any country.

According to a statement posted Tuesday on the website of its mission to the European Union, China added that NATO should not exaggerate Beijing’s military power.

NATO calls for measures to safeguard international and regional stability

The comments from Beijing come after NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told members of the media that NATO is “concerned by China’s coercive policies, which stand in contrast to the fundamental values enshrined in the Washington Treaty”

Stoltenberg cited the country’s rapidly expanding nuclear arsenal, military cooperation with Russia, and its use of disinformation as the reason for concern.

The communique released after the NATO meeting mentioned China 10 times, compared to just once after the last summit in 2019.

Russia was named more than 60 times this year. The document also said that the bloc “maintains a constructive dialogue with China where possible.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Ukraine expects Russian offensive this month

Published

on

Ukraine expects a possible major Russian offensive this month, but Kyiv has the reserves to hold back Moscow’s forces even though the latest Western military supplies will not all arrive in time

 
Russia could launch the new attack for ‘symbolic’ reasons around the first anniversary of its invasion, but its resources are not ready from a military point of view, Defence minister Oleksii Reznikov told a news conference.

“Despite everything, we expect a possible Russian offensive in February. This is only from the point of view of symbolism; it’s not logical from a military view. Because not all of their resources are ready. But they’re doing it anyway,” he said.

Russian forces have been making incremental advances in the east as Moscow tries to capture the embattled city of Bakhmut and revive its faltering invasion after a string of battlefield setbacks in the second half of last year.

Reznikov said the offensive would likely be launched in the east – where Russia is trying to capture all the heavily-industrialised Donbas region – or the south where it wants to widen its land corridor to the occupied peninsula of Crimea.

He estimated that Russia had 12,000 troops in Belarusian military bases, a number that would not be enough to launch a significant attack from Belarus into Ukraine’s north, reopening a new front.

The United States and other Western governments have pledged billions of dollars in new military assistance including tanks and infantry fighting vehicles to help Ukraine withstand a new attack as well as to help Kyiv launch a counteroffensive.

“Not all of the Western weaponry will arrive in time. But we are ready. We have created our resources and reserves, which we are able to deploy and with which we are able to hold back the attack,” Reznikov said.

Continue Reading

World

China describes spy balloon saga as ‘overreaction’

Published

on

China has strongly opposed the U.S. approach to the suspected spy balloon that was shot down – describing it as an overreaction

 
They also once again explained that this was a civilian airship that was simply monitoring the weather and was blown astray into US airspace.

These are claims that Washington have disputed.

It has been interesting to watch China’s reaction throughout this affair.

On Friday, when they first admitted that this balloon belonged to them, Beijing were apologetic and said they regretted how it had ended up in US territory.

It was an uncharacteristic approach from China who are usually more aggressive in these statements.

But as time passed, Beijing’s tone changed and they started to accuse U.S. politicians and the media of using this incident as a way of attacking China.

This affair has now renewed tensions between these two global superpowers, with U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken cancelling his much-anticipated trip to Beijing at the last minute.

Although his visit was largely seen as symbolic – as opposed to making any substantive policy breakthroughs – it was still seen as another big step in repairing relations between China and the U.S.

Instead, face-to-face talks have been cancelled and it looks likely that it will now be some time before Secretary Blinken makes the journey to Beijing.

Continue Reading

World

Blaze burns down Buddhist temple in Australia

Published

on

A massive blaze burnt down a Buddhist temple in Australia

Footage shows fire engulfing Melbourne’s Bright Moon Buddhist Society Temple on Sunday evening.

More than 80 firefighters battled the blaze into the night as the fire quickly spread throughout the building.

It’s not yet known if anyone was inside when the fire started.

Roads in the surrounding area are closed as investigations into the cause of the fire are underway.

The temple is understood to draw thousands of visitors to the area each year.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2023 The Ticker Company PTY LTD