Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Misconduct – Jury in Bruce Lehrmann trial thrown out

Published

on

The Bruce Lehrmann rape trial in Canberra has been ruled a mistrial after the jury was discharged.

It’s alleged a juror was found to have engaged in misconduct, accessing research paper on sexual assault they shouldn’t have.

Bruce Lehrmann is accused of raping Brittany Higgins in a ministerial office at Parliament House after a night out drinking with work colleagues in 2019.

He has pleaded not guilty to sexual intercourse without her consent.

The trial had been waiting for a verdict since late last week.

The court heard the prohibited research was uncovered when one of the court officers accidentally bumped one of the juror’s folders onto the floor.

When the officer picked up the clear plastic folder, he noticed part of a title of an academic research paper into sexual assault sticking out.

On Thursday, Chief Justice Lucy McCallum with “regret” ruled a mistrial.

“It has come to my attention that one of you.. has undertaken research in relation to issues in the case and that material has entered the jury room that ought not to have.”

“I have heard an explanation, and it may be that no harm has been done, but that is not a risk I can take,” she told the jury.

“During the course of the trial … I must have given the jury at least 17 warnings and prohibitions on undertaking any research of their own.

“This is an unexpected and unfortunate outcome in this trial,” she said.

Ms McCallum said given the circumstances, she had to discharge that juror and then the entire jury.

Ms Higgins and her partner David Sharaz were in the courtroom for the ruling.

Ahron Young is an award winning journalist who has covered major news events around the world. Ahron is the Managing Editor and Founder of TICKER NEWS.

Continue Reading

News

Big tech caught in political drama

Published

on

Nine Google employees were escorted out of company offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California, following a sit-in protest against a cloud contract with Israel’s government.

The protest in Sunnyvale targeted Thomas Kurian’s office, CEO of Google’s cloud division, while in New York, it occupied a common area on the tenth floor.

Videos showed Google security staff and local police involved in the removal. Four workers in New York and five in Sunnyvale were reportedly detained, but details of any charges remain unverified.

 

The protest aimed to pressure Google to drop a $1.2 billion cloud computing contract known as Project Nimbus, citing concerns about its involvement with the Israel Defense Forces.

The protesters included software engineers and activists from groups opposing tech contracts with Israel. This incident reflects ongoing activism within tech companies regarding political issues, such as Israel’s actions in Gaza.

Continue Reading

News

Antitrust concerns arise for streaming sports venture

Published

on

U.S. lawmakers Jerry Nadler and Joaquin Castro expressed competition concerns regarding the planned sports streaming joint venture involving Walt Disney, Fox, and Warner Bros Discovery.

They addressed these concerns in a letter to the CEOs of the media companies, questioning the impact on access, competition, and choice in the sports streaming market.

Voicing apprehension about potential consumer price hikes and unfair licensing terms for sports leagues and distributors, they requested responses by April 30, urging the companies to also send their replies to the Department of Justice.

Despite the companies’ announcement in February of launching a joint sports streaming service in the autumn to attract younger viewers, the deal faces DOJ scrutiny and an antitrust lawsuit from FuboTV. While Disney and Warner Bros remained silent on the matter, Fox declined to comment.

The joint venture encompasses a broad range of professional and collegiate sports rights, including NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA World Cup, and college competitions, offering non-exclusive access to sports networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports 1, and TNT via a new streaming app.

Continue Reading

News

Trump trial: will the jury selection impact the trial’s outcome?

Published

on

The Trump hush money trial has progressed with the selection of the first seven jurors, marking a significant step in the legal proceedings.

  • Seven jurors were selected

  • Defense and prosecution lawyers questioned potential jurors for impartiality

  • The judge warned lawyers he would not tolerate disruptions after he said Former US President Donald Trump audibly muttered during a prospective juror’s questioning

The selection of jurors is a crucial step in ensuring a fair trial, as they will ultimately decide Formers US President Donald Trump’s fate in this legal battle, as reported by Reuters.

The process of jury selection involves careful vetting of potential jurors to ensure impartiality and fairness.

Each juror’s background, beliefs, and potential biases are scrutinised to ensure they can render an impartial verdict based solely on the evidence presented in court.

With seven jurors already chosen, the selection process is expected to continue as both the prosecution and defence seek individuals who can objectively weigh the evidence.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2024 The Ticker Company