Connect with us

Tech

Jeff Bezos set to go to space

Published

on

Billionaire Jeff Bezos is set to board a space flight with his company, Blue Origin.

The flight will take off on July 20th, just 15 days after he is set to resign as CEO of Amazon.

It will also be somewhat special, with Blue Origin revealing Bezos’ younger brother, Mark Bezos, will also join the flight.

“What a remarkable opportunity, not only to have this adventure but to do it with my best friend.”

Mark Bezos Said About Flying To The Moon With His Brother

Bezos, 57, said in a Monday morning Instagram post. “On July 20th, I will take that journey with my brother. The greatest adventure, with my best friend.”

Battle of the billionaires

ELON MUSK SPACE-X

Blue Origin is a distant second in the public eye to Elon Musk’s SpaceX, but this appears to be one space race Bezos is likely to win.

If all goes according to plan, Bezos will be the first of the billionaire space tycoons to experience a ride aboard the rocket technology that he’s poured millions into developing.

The Amazon CEO announced Blue Origin will launch its new Sheppard rocket and capsule in July.

The interior of the New Shepard crew capsule, which will carry people for the first time on a July 20 launch

New Shepard is designed to carry as many as six people at a time on a ride past the edge of space, with the capsules on previous test flights reaching an altitude of more than 340,000 feet.

The Sheppard’s flights are “sub-orbital” meaning they will take passengers on a short trip into space and back down to earth.

The company says “only 569 people have ever been over the so-called Kármán Line in space… and it wants to change this and change it dramatically”

SpaceX also plans to launch people into space by Autumn this year. 

So the battle between the billionaires to turn their rockets to riches continues on.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Business

Instagram introduces new process to crack down on underage users

Published

on

The majority of social media platforms have an age limit of 13 years old, but how is this really being regulated?

Instagram is exploring new ways for teenagers to verify their age and comply with platform rules.

The gram is turning to video selfies to crack down on minors editing their date of birth to make them appear over 18.

The Meta-owned app is testing video selfies with facial analysis software as a new age-verification method.

For a U.S. teen who wants to join insta, they will need to upload ID, ask three adult users to vouch for them or take a video selfie.

Meta says it hopes the new methods will ensure teens have an “age-appropriate experience” on the content sharing app.

Video selfies have become a popular way for digital platforms – such as online banking apps – to verify users’ age or identity.

Continue Reading

Crypto

Gucci goes big in metaverse with new Vault Art Space

Published

on

Forward thinkers who love fashion, this exhibit is for you

Luxury brand Gucci has opened a Vault Art Space as it continues to explore the art world and the metaverse

Gucci inaugurated the gallery in a partnership with NFT marketplace SuperRare

The debut exhibit is titled “The Next 100 Years of Gucci”

Spring Cry by Alanna Vanacore

Keep your eye out for a special selection of NFT artworks, each a collectible fragment of Gucci’s heritage.

The artworks are showcased and auctioned off directly on Vault’s website in three drops between now and the end of July.

All sales will be in Ethereum.

Continue Reading

Tech

Samsung penalised for misleading Galaxy phone users

Published

on

Samsung Electronics Australia will pay $14 million after admitting that it misled customers about its phone’s waterproof capabilities

The false or misleading claims were made about the water resistance of several phones, including the S7, S7 Edge, and Note 8 Samsung Galaxy phones.

It’s understood there were more than 3.1 million of these Galaxy phones sold in Australia.

The company says if the phones were submerged in pool or sea water there was chance of the charging port being corroded and stop working if the phone was charged while still wet.

“The phones would display a warning message to discourage consumers from attempting to charge the phones while water was in the charging port,” the company said.

“The phones also had inbuilt systems to minimise the prospect of corrosion if the phones were attempted to be charged while water remained in the charging port.”

SAMSUNG

Australia’s consumer watchdog says they reviewed hundreds of complaints from customers who experienced issues with their Galaxy phones.

“The case only relates to a prospect of corrosion of the charging port (if charged while pool or
sea water remained in the charging port), and only following submersion in pool or sea
water. It does not relate to water resistance generally,” the company explained.

Affected customers are urged to contact Samsung.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD