Connect with us

World

Gabby Petito’s mother launches legal action against her daughter’s suspected killer

Published

on

Nicole Schmidt filed a complaint in the Sarasota County, seeking monetary compensation for “wrongful death”.

The lawsuit alleges Petito and her then-fiancé left New York in July to embark on a trip across America, with their travels posted online for the world to see.

Petito and her then-fiancé

The influencers remains were found in Wyoming in September 2021 after she was reported missing.

The 22-year-old died by strangulation and Laundrie became the prime suspect.

Laundrie’s remains were later discovered within a Florida nature reserve and followed the case receiving worldwide attention.

Authorities found a notebook in which Laundrie allegedly used to claim responsibility for Petito’s death.

The lawsuit says “as a direct consequence of Brian Laundrie’s conduct, Nichole Schmidt and Joseph Petito incurred funeral and burial expenses”.

It continues adding the parents “have suffered a loss of care and comfort, and have suffered a loss of probable future companionship, society and comfort”.

Schmidt is seeking a trial by jury, but the suit does not list a specific monetary amount.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Climate Change

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm

Published

on

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm as it continues north towards South Carolina

U.S. President Joe Biden says Hurricane Ian could be the deadliest storm in the region’s history, with early reports suggesting substantial loss of life.

Biden spoke at an afternoon briefing at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema).

Ian made landfall on Wednesday local time near the city of Fort Myers. It has led to severe flooding, high winds and storm surges.

Several areas remain submerged, and more than 2.5 million homes are without power.

Many residents are trapped in their homes and unable to escape. Search and rescue teams are working around the clock to provide assistance where they can.

5,000 Florida National Guard troops and 2,000 Guardsman from surrounding states have been deployed.

Eight teams with 800 members are carrying out search and rescue operations.

More than 200 public shelters have now been opened, housing around 34,000 people.

The National Hurricane Centre has downgraded Ian to a tropical storm for now but warns it will likely become a hurricane again later.

The entire coast of South Carolina is just the latest region to be placed on high alert as the storm continues north on its path of destruction.

Continue Reading

World

Finland slams its borders shut on Russia

Published

on

Finland will officially closed its border to Russian tourists, marking the last of Moscow’s E-U neighbours to do so.

Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania also closed their borders.

The Finnish government made the decision following Vladimir Putin’s decision to call-up of 300,000 military reservists.

Queue’s at Russia’s border crossings with E-U nations were stretching for kilometres as people attempted to flee the country.

The closure of the border only applies to tourists – and Russians who are visiting family or travelling for work or study will still be granted entry.

The Finnish Foreign Minister stated that the decision was a difficult one to make, but ultimately it was in the best interest of the country.

Continue Reading

World

Queen’s death certificate has been released

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II’s death certificate has been released, and reveals Her Majesty died of old age.

The document, signed by Queen’s daughter Princess Anne, says Queen Elizabeth II passed away peacefully at 3:10 p.m. on September 8.

The 96 year old was surrounded by family at Balmoral Castle in Scotland as she took her final breaths.

Now laid to rest in St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, Queen Elizabeth II’s period of national mourning has concluded.

When she was alive there was a curtain of privacy around the Queen’s health, and in her death there remains some restraint.

Her cause of death is recorded as “old age”, without any further details.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD