Connect with us

World

EU backs France in submarine dispute

Published

on

European Union foreign ministers expressed support and solidarity with France on Monday during a meeting in New York to discuss Australia’s scrapping of a $40 billion submarine order with Paris in favour of a U.S. and British deal

European Union foreign ministers expressed support for France in its submarine order dispute with Australia during the UN General Assembly in New York on Monday.

Australia said last week it would scrap a $40 billion submarine order from Paris in favor of a U.S. and British deal that’s enraged France.

It includes at least eight nuclear-powered submarines with U.S. and British technology and a trilateral security partnership under the name AUKUS.

After a closed-door meeting at the annual UN gathering of world leaders, European Union Foreign Policy Chief, Josep Borrel, said “more cooperation” was needed among leaders and “less fragmentation.”

“The position has been this clear expression of solidarity with France, and the consideration that this was not a bilateral issue but a relationship with European Union that affects all of us. And also the fact that it doesn’t go in the direction of a greater cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, which is our purpose.”

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian gave the U.S a dressing down earlier on Monday, accusing U.S. President Joe Biden of continuing his predecessor Donald Trump’s foreign policies.

“Yes, it is a disappointment. We thought unilateralism, unpredictability, brutality and not respecting your partner was part of the past but it continues so we want to understand.”

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there will not be an opportunity to address the issue with French President Emmanuel Macron this week.

Meanwhile, Biden and Macron are set to speak by phone in the next few days.

White House spokesperson Jen Psaki said she expected Biden to “reaffirm our commitment to working with one of our oldest and closest partners on a range of challenges that the global community is facing.”

It’s not clear what impact the security partnership will have on next month’s fresh rounds of EU-Australia trade talks.

World

North Korea fires short-range ballistic missile

Published

on

The launch continues a provocative streak in weapons testing as a US aircraft carrier visits South Korea

The launch was detected by South Korean and US militaries, who are currently conducting their annual joint military exercises in the region.

The US aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson is also taking part in the exercises, in a show of force against North Korea’s continued nuclear and missile testing.

North Korea's push to improve the lives of citizens

North Korea’s push to improve the lives of citizens

North Korea has conducted a series of missile and nuclear tests in recent months, despite international condemnation and UN sanctions.

The latest launch comes just days after North Korea test-fired a new type of anti-aircraft missile, and as the US prepares to deploy its THAAD anti-missile system in South Korea.

The US has also sent a naval strike group to the region in a show of force, and is reportedly considering additional sanctions against North Korea.

Continue Reading

World

Super Typhoon Noru smashes into the Philippines

Published

on

Super Typhoon Noru is continuing to strengthen as it approaches the northern Philippines.

The storm is expected to make landfall late Sunday afternoon local time and could bring damaging winds and heavy rains to the region.

Noru is currently a Category 3 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 km/h).

The typhoon is expected to bring heavy rains and strong winds to the Philippines, which could lead to significant damage.

If you are in the path of Super Typhoon Noru, be sure to take all necessary precautions to protect yourself and your property from the storm.

Stay tuned to local news and weather reports for the latest information on the typhoon’s path and expected impacts.

Continue Reading

Tech

Iran cuts internet access over “hijab violation”

Published

on

Iranian authorities say they will restrict internet access in the country until calm is restored to the streets

Protests over the death of a young woman in the custody of the morality police continue to rock the Islamic Republic.

Thousands of Iranians have taken to the streets in protest since the death last week of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was apprehended in Tehran and taken to a “re-education center,” apparently for not wearing her hijab properly.

Amini’s death has sparked outrage among Iranian women, who have long been subject to repressive rules mandating their dress and behavior.

In recent years, the government has stepped up its enforcement of these rules, with morality police attacking women for offenses such as wearing loose headscarves or talking to men in public.

The death of Amini, who was reportedly beaten in custody, has galvanized young Iranians who are fed up with the repression they have faced for their entire lives.

In addition to taking to the streets, they are using social media to spread the word about the protests and to call for an end to the government’s oppressive policies.

It remains to be seen whether the current wave of protests will lead to lasting change in Iran. But one thing is clear: the country’s young people are no longer willing to tolerate the status quo.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD