Connect with us

World

Australians in France working on scrapped subs deal fearing for their safety

Published

on

Local anger is growing in France towards Australians, with fears there will be hundreds of job losses at the construction company where the subs were being made

This all follows Australia defending its decision to scrap a multi-billion dollar deal with France and secure a new security pact with the US & UK

French officials are calling out Australia for going back on the deal… saying the new alliance has led to a “serious crisis” between the allies.

Around 600 local jobs are expected to be impacted as a result of the cancellation… and Australia’s Defence ministry says 33 Australians currently remain on the ground in France.

Meanwhile, France has also recalled its ambassadors from both the United States and Australia in protest of the decision.

The AUKUS alliance will see Australia receive the technology required from America to build state-of-the-art nuclear-powered submarines.

This comes as China’s influence over the hotly-contested South China Sea continues to remain a concern for western nations.

Meanwhile, Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he understands the disappointment France is experiencing… but he has always been clear about Australia’s position.

Morrison believes the French government “would have had every reason to know that we had deep and grave concerns”.

Morrison believes the French government “would have had every reason to know that we had deep and grave concerns”.

“Ultimately this was a decision about whether the submarines that were being built, at great cost to the Australian taxpayer, we’re going to be able to do a job that we needed it to do”.

World

Five former Trump staffers speak with House

Published

on

January 6 capital riots investigation continues

As the investigation into the January 6 capitol riots continues, new reports allege that at least five former Trump staffers have come forward to speak voluntarily with the House committee.

This comes as the committee’s lawyers continue to reach out to further Trump aides as to whether they would be interested in speaking at the hearing without the threat of SUPENA.

The committee has been tasked with investigating the actions of former President Donald Trump prior to the riots occurring.

This most recent outreach is not likely to signify that the committee believes the staffers had any involvement in sparking the riots… but rather they may have more context as to what was happening inside the White House that day.

It all comes as Trump continues his legal battle against the investigation… suing both the committee and the National Archives in an attempt to withhold documents.

Continue Reading

World

Queen Elizabeth not attending COP26 climate event

Published

on

Buckingham Palace says the Queen is accepting doctor’s advice to rest

Following a health scare just last week… Queen Elizabeth will not be attending the upcoming COP-26 climate event in Glasgow.

This comes as doctors advise the royal to rest and comes just hours after she carried out her first official engagements since being admitted to hospital.

On Tuesday, Elizabeth met virtually with the ambassador of Korea and Switzerland.

Last week, Buckingham Palace revealed the monarch spent a night in hospital for “preliminary investigations”… but returned home in “good spirits”.

Meanwhile, the Queen was due to attend an evening reception in Glasgow on Monday but will deliver a video message instead.

Continue Reading

World

Jeff Bezos unveils plans for commercial space station

Published

on

Jeff Bezos’ space tourism company, Blue Origin, has announced plans to launch a space station in Earth’s orbit.

The station will be named “Orbital Reef,” and is projected to be built and operational by the end of the decade.

The company says the station will be serve as a “mixed-use business park” in space and will host up to 10 people.

Promotional material released by the company revealed the 32-thousand square foot station will provide customers with an ideal location for “filmmaking in microgravity”, or “conducting cutting-edge research”.

It’s also speculated that the space station will include a “space hotel”.

The company will partner with Sierra Space and Boeing to build the outpost.

The announcement comes amid NASA efforts to find a proposal to replace the International Space Station (ISS), which is now more than 20 years old and in desperate need of repair.

This will include $400m in private contracts to space companies to help the agency replace the ageing outpost.

There is likely to be stiff competition for the funding, and Blue Origin is the latest firm to unveil their space station concept, joining space firms Nanoracks, Voyager Space and Lockheed Martin, who have teamed up to launch a station into low orbit by 2027.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd