Connect with us

World

Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia not expected to attend Queen’s funeral

Published

on

Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed Bin Salman not expected to attend the Queen’s funeral

After days of speculation, it is now believed the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed Bin Salman will not attend the Queen’s funeral service.

The decision follows growing backlash and comes as world leaders and dignitaries from around the globe descend on the UK for the historic event. A source told Reuters the call was made by the Saudis.

Human rights organisations were appalled Mohammed Bin Salman, known as MBS, may be in attendance given the allegations which hang over his head.

MBS is accused of ordering the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, allegations he firmly denies.

The royal hasn’t returned to Britain since the death of Khashoggi and tensions remain high.

Sources close to the Saudi Embassy say the Crown Prince will still visit London this weekend.

The UK’s Foreign Office says Prince Turki al-Faisal, another senior Saudi royal, is expected to go instead.

Human rights groups say the invitation to Mohammed Bin Salman is appalling. They argue it represents a “whitewashing” of a questionable human rights record.

Meanwhile, invites sent to Chinese dignitaries have also sparked controversy.  This is largely due to Beijing’s treatment of Muslim Uyghurs in the Xinjiang province.

China has confirmed it will send Vice-President, Wang Qishan, to pay respects on behalf of the nation.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Continue Reading

World

U.S. fighters shoot down Chinese spy balloon – now what?

Published

on

U.S. military fighter aircraft shot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon as it floated off the coast of South Carolina on Saturday, drawing to a close a dramatic saga that shone a spotlight on worsening Sino-U.S. relations.

“We successfully took it down, and I want to compliment our aviators who did it,” President Joe Biden said.

Biden said he had issued an order on Wednesday to take down the balloon, but the Pentagon had recommended waiting until it could be done over open water to safeguard civilians from debris crashing down to Earth from thousands of feet (meters) above commercial air traffic.

China has mounted “the largest intelligence operation in the history of the human race” against the US and Australia, a former top US intelligence official has warned, as the US military shot down a Chinese spy balloon as it neared the Atlantic coast above the Carolinas.

Multiple fighter and refueling aircraft were involved in the mission, but only one — an F-22 fighter jet from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia — took the shot at 2:39 p.m. (1939 GMT), using a single AIM-9X supersonic, heat-seeking, air-to-air missile, a senior U.S. military official said.

The balloon was shot down about six nautical miles off the U.S. coast, over relatively shallow water, potentially aiding efforts to recover key elements of the Chinese surveillance equipment among the debris in the coming days, officials said.

Continue Reading

World

Russia throws more troops at Ukraine front line

Published

on

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says the situation on the front lines in the east of the country is getting tougher and Russia was throwing more and more troops into battle.

Russian forces are slowly gaining ground in the Donbas region, encircling the city of Bakhmut north of Donetsk and battling to take control of a nearby road which is a major supply route for Ukrainian forces. They are also trying to capture Vuhledar, southwest of Donetsk.

“I’ve often had to say the situation at the front is tough, and is getting tougher, and it’s that time again. … The invader is putting more and more of his forces into breaking down our defences,” Zelenskiy said in a video address.

“It is very difficult now in Bakhmut, Vuhledar, Lyman and other directions,” he continued.

Earlier in the day, Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Malyar wrote on Telegram that Russian efforts to break the defences in Bakhmut and Lyman had failed.

Continue Reading

World

Balloon diplomacy blows China off course

Published

on

China claims an “airship” that is flying over the United States is for civilian meteorological and other scientific purposes and voiced regret that it strayed into U.S. airspace.

U.S. officials said on Thursday that a Chinese spy balloon has been flying over the United States for a couple of days, in what would be a brazen act just days ahead of a planned trip to Beijing by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

In a statement late on Friday, China’s foreign ministry also said that it would continue to maintain communications with the United States to properly handle the unexpected situation.

“The airship is from China and is civilian in nature, used for meteorological and other scientific research. Due to the influence of westerly winds and its limited control capability, the airship deviated from its intended course,” it said.

“China regrets that the airship strayed into the United States by mistake due to force majeure. China will continue to maintain communication with the U.S. side to properly handle this accident,” it said.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2023 The Ticker Company PTY LTD