Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

COVID-era Title 42 set to expire in United States

Published

on

The new regulation, which becomes effective on Thursday, will deny asylum to most migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally

U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas outlined new regulation amid a surge of migrants at the southern border with Mexico.

This is due to the COVID-era health restrictions known as Title 42 expiring this week.

The new regulation, which becomes effective on Thursday, will deny asylum to most migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally, a key part of President Joe Biden’s immigration enforcement plan.

“The rule presumes that those who do not use lawful pathways to enter the United States are ineligible for asylum. It allows the United States, it allows us, to remove individuals who do not establish a reasonable fear of persecution in the country of removal.”

Mayorkas said the new rule would mean harsher consequences for illegal border crossers, including a five-year ban from the U.S. if they do not qualify for asylum.

“Crossing irregularly is against the law and those who are not eligible for relief will be quickly returned.”

Mayorkas also called on Congress to fix what he called a “broken” immigration system, saying lawmakers failed to provide funds requested by the Biden administration for border agents and facilities.

“I cannot overemphasise that our current situation is the outcome of Congress leaving a broken, outdated immigration system in place for over two decades, despite unanimous agreement that we desperately need legislative reform.”

Migrants have been amassing in Mexico this week and those who have already crossed into the U.S. are straining border cities.

“I’m like in limbo. Let’s see what happens,” Colombian migrant Yovani Arias said while waiting to cross in the Mexican city of Tijuana. “I hope to be able to pass to the United States because I have a son there, he’s 18 years old and I want to be with him.”

“This time, we were trying to cross illegally because we previously turned ourselves in to the Border Patrol, and they didn’t process us,” Venezuelan migrant Luis Rivero said. “They didn’t call our contacts and families in the United States.

“On May 11th, things are about to change. We will no longer be able to enter in the same way. It will be stricter.”

“I understand that they will modify Title 42, which will be replaced by Title 8, but I am not clear what the new restrictions will be. It still has us pretty confused,” Venezuelan migrant Romario Solano said.

“Will it be easier? I doubt it because we know that as migration has increased, tougher measures have been taken.”

Continue Reading

News

Robotics and AI driving fourth industrial revolution innovations

Robots and AI reshape future in Hangzhou, heralding a fourth industrial revolution, says expert Mark Llewellyn

Published

on

Robots and AI reshape future in Hangzhou, heralding a fourth industrial revolution, says expert Mark Llewellyn

In Short:
– The video showcases advancements in robotics and AI, highlighting Unitree Robotics and the promising developments in Hangzhou and Shanghai.
– It predicts flying cars and humanoid robots will enhance daily life, while raising concerns about AI’s societal impact.
The video examines the rapid evolution of robotics and artificial intelligence, marking the onset of a “fourth industrial revolution,” particularly in Hangzhou and Shanghai, China.It envisions a future with drones instead of fireworks, flying taxis, and humanoid robots aiding in daily tasks. Unitree Robotics, led by Wang Xingxing, aims to have humanoid robots in homes by 2030, currently developing its first model. Predictions suggest these robots could join the workforce and assist in homes within five years.

Hangzhou, known as “China’s Silicon Valley,” is highlighted for its technological innovation. Fan Pin has created a “technology tourism” business to showcase the city’s advancements. Shenhao Technology’s specialized robots include inspection devices for trains and cleaning robots for solar panels.

The emerging “low-altitude economy” predicts a trillion-dollar market for pilotless vehicles, with E-Hang leading the sector. They propose air travel could drastically reduce commute times.

Experts discuss the societal impacts of this industrial transformation. While some traditional jobs may diminish, optimism remains, similar to previous technological shifts. AI-driven kitchens are becoming commonplace, with aspirations for cooking robots to handle household tasks. Concerns regarding AI misuse also emerge, prompting discussions on open-source technologies for humanity’s benefit.

For more information, visit Sticky Toffee.


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Shoppers cut back this Black Friday as budgets tighten

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.

Published

on

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.


Shoppers across the UK are revising their Black Friday game plan, tightening their budgets as economic pressures reshape spending behaviour. Many are approaching the sales season far more cautiously than before.

Consumers expect to spend an average of £622 this year — a 4% drop from last year — with many relying on discounts and promotions to stretch their budgets. Value is king, with 38% of shoppers saying they’ll only buy items that are at least 50% off.

Rising inflation and income disruptions are adding pressure, and even higher-income households plan to scale back spending across Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Brands and retailers will need to work harder to earn every pound this shopping season.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#BlackFriday2025 #HolidayShopping #ConsumerTrends #CostOfLiving #CyberMonday #RetailNews #ShoppingDeals #UKEconomy


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

National Guard ambush: Afghan man charged after D.C. shooting

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.

Published

on

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.


An Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, has been arrested after allegedly shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C. Authorities say Lakanwal previously worked with CIA-backed military units in Afghanistan before coming to the United States.

The victims, Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe, remain in critical condition. Officials warn that if either victim dies, the charges could escalate to first-degree murder as the investigation intensifies.

The FBI is now examining the case as a potential act of terrorism, while the Department of Homeland Security has announced a review of all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#WashingtonDC #NationalGuard #BreakingNews #USPolitics #FBIInvestigation #TerrorProbe #AsylumReview #TickerNews


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now