Connect with us

Business

Businesses left devastated following Sydney lockdown extension

Published

on

Sydney businesses have received another blow with lockdown set to be extended for another week

Greater Sydney’s lockdown has been extended by seven days, with a threat of even tougher restrictions in the city’s southwest, after 27 new locally acquired cases were reported.

Only 13 of those cases were already in isolation.

The state premier expressed concern the Delta variant had now established a foothold in a number of suburbs in the south-west.

The existing lockdown will run until Friday midnight, 16 July, but Ms. Berejiklian said residents in Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown, and Liverpool may face stiffer orders to stop the movement of people.

Many businesses say they are on the edge of collapse and are calling for more government support.

Multiple industries have been forced to close, while others are resorting to operational changes – such as cafe shops and hospitality venues shifting to takeaway only.

The relief package available to businesses

A relief package to help Sydney businesses cope with the financial impacts of the city’s lockdown has been put into place to help operators recoup lost revenue and claim unused stock.

Lobbying from industry groups has meant the support package will echo the one provided to northern beaches businesses over the Christmas lockdown in 2020.

Sydney’s first two weeks in lockdown wiped around $2 billion off Australia’s gross domestic product , with a quarter of the national economy forced to stay home.

Restaurant and Catering Association chief executive Wes Lambert stated that hospitality organisations lost around $70 million in binned stock over the first weekend of lockdown.

Author

  • Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Why the Nintendo Switch console has let the gaming giant down

Published

on

Nintendo says it will buy back shares after its quarterly profit missed estimates

The company reported an operating income of 119.75 billion yen compared to their projection of 130 billion yen.

Nintendo says it plans to buy back up to 1.51% of its shares for 100 billion yen.

It saw a mixed picture with Switch hardware sales, which fell by 22% overall.

Investors are watching gaming firms closely for signals that the COVID-19 pandemic sales boom may be running out of steam. Nintendo is highly dependent on the cyclical console business, with sales of its devices traditionally peaking around the fifth year.

The devastating results from the Switch Lite

Nintendo saw sales of Switch Lite units more than halve to 1.14 million during the April-June quarter but maintained its full-year forecast for Switch hardware at 25.5 million units. It sold 4.45 million Switch consoles, including the Lite, during the quarter.

The creator of Super Mario and Animal Crossing said first-quarter operating profit fell 17% to 119.8 billion yen ($1.1 billion), falling short of a Refinitiv consensus estimate of 129.3 billion yen.

The games maker reported record earnings during the pandemic-fueled gaming boom.

Author

  • Jack is a journalist and producer at Ticker NEWS. He's previously worked for digital media publications in Australia and the US. Jack is particularly interested in reporting on international affairs and sport.

Continue Reading

Business

Why Disney’s Star Wars hotel is only for the wealthy

Published

on

Disney has revealed pricing for its new, highly anticipated Star Wars hotel

Let’s just say it is not cheap.

The Disney-based hotel Galactic Starcruiser is a cruise ship set in space, but its price tag is only made for those with a thick wallet.

The hotel, which opens in Spring 2022, is billed by Disney as a “revolutionary new two-night experience.

The price?

$6,000 for two nights.

The ticket includes two nights at the hotel, food and drink (except for “alcoholic and specialty beverages”), admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios park for a day to visit the Galaxy’s Edge park, and parking.

You’re mostly paying for the immersive Star Wars experience, which Disney says will offer an in-universe style adventure, complete with roleplaying staff who’ll ask you for help on quests or factions that you’ll be able to join during your trip. Guests will even be allowed (and even encouraged) to dress the part in Star Wars outfits.

So, enjoy your stay.

Authors

  • Jack is a journalist and producer at Ticker NEWS. He's previously worked for digital media publications in Australia and the US. Jack is particularly interested in reporting on international affairs and sport.

  • Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Continue Reading

Business

T-Mobile confirms shutdown of Sprint’s LTE network

Published

on

America’s T-Mobile has revealed its takeover of Sprint Mobile, and confirmed the shutdown of the Sprint LTE network

T Mobile has committed to a June 30, 20-22 shutdown date of Sprint’s LTE network.

It’s an expected move as T-Mobile continues to absorb Sprint’s network and customers into its own base.

T-Mobile says that “most” Sprint LTE and 5G devices can work with its LTE or 5G network. It adds that those devices “will continue to operate on T-Mobile’s LTE and 5G networks,” so long as those Sprint users upgrade from Sprint-issued SIM cards to ones from T-Mobile. You will also need to make sure that Voice over LTE (also known as VoLTE) is enabled for voice calls. 

The carrier adds that it will be contacting those who might be impacted by the switch, stating that it already “began sending notifications late last year.”  

A third of Sprint customers have already been moved onto the T-Mobile network.

Author

  • Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd