Connect with us

World

Biden now pressuring Israel to end conflict

Published

on

US President Joe Biden has shifted his stance when it comes to the continuing violence in the Middle East – pressuring Israel to end the fighting with Hamas militants.

President Joe Biden speaks in Washington. (Photo: AP /Patrick Semansky)

As the conflict enters its tenth day, the White House says Biden expects a significant de-escalation today on the path to a ceasefire.

The comments signal a dramatic shift in the Biden administration’s stance on the violence.

In response, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he is determined to continue this operation until its objective is achieved and vows to restore quiet and security.

The US is a strong ally of Israel and has previously been staunchly opposed to being included in a joint statement due to be issued by the UN Security Council.

This all follows four rockets being fired from Lebanon into Israel over the past 24 hours. Israel’s military firing artillery at a number of targets in Lebanese territory in response.

Netanyahu added: “with every passing day we are striking at more of the terrorist organisations’ capabilities”. He also thanked the U-S and President Joe Biden for the support.

Business

Sleepover at IKEA: dozens stranded amid snowstorm in Denmark

Published

on

Two dozen staff and six customers were forced to stay the night at IKEA as up to 30 centimetres of snow trapped them inside

A furniture showroom in the department store in Aalborg, Denmark, became the bedroom of several people who were unable to safely make it home in time amidst a strong snowstorm.

Store Manager Peter Elmose told the Ekstra Bladet tabloid that people could “pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try.”

People working in a toy shop next door also took to the department store to join in on the fun.

Michelle Barrett, one of the toy shop staff, told Denmark’s public broadcaster, DR, “it’s much better than sleeping in one’s car. It has been nice and warm and we are just happy that they would let us in.” 

“We just laughed at the situation, because we will probably not experience it again,” she added.

Another approximate 300 people had to stay the night at the Aalborg airport to keep out of the storm. 

According to Euronews, the IKEA sleepover consisted of feasting on chips and Swedish cinnamon rolls in the staff canteen before watching television.

“It was a really nice evening, enjoying each other’s company,” Elmose told AFP. 

“Everyone had a full night’s sleep, our mattresses are good.”

And when the shop reopened for business the next morning, all the bedding and sheets had of course been changed.

Unmade beds following the overnight stay at IKEA amid snowstorm. Source: IKEA Aalborg’s Instagram

This comes after 61 people were trapped in a Yorkshire pub for three nights last week.

The several people trapped in the Tan Hill Inn during the storm slept on makeshift beds on the floor, watched movies, had a quiz night and enjoyed a buffet meal.

Some guests even claimed they didn’t want to leave the the pub after enjoying the 17th century hotel’s hospitality.

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong to launch China style system

Published

on

As Hong Kong and China prepare to resume quarantine-free travel, Hong Kong’s government will introduce a Beijing-style health code from December 10

The Hong Kong Health Code will take note of a user’s real name, address and identification number.

The voluntary app is designed to be compatible with systems in both Macau and Guangdong provinces in southern China.

In mainland China, a mandatory health code dictates where residents and visitors can travel to and from, sharing real-time data with authorities.

The introduction of this health code system in Hong Kong will allow Chinese officials to open back up the nation’s borders with the city-state.

Hong Kong’s chief information officer also says records “won’t be transferred to mainland authorities unless the person is infected or has been a close contact”.

Continue Reading

World

Meghan Markle wins latest privacy battle case

Published

on

A UK court dismissed the appeal brought on by Associated Newspapers Limited, after the company published a letter that she sent to her father, Thomas Markle in 2018.

ANL and the Mail have staunchly denied that they have done anything wrong, standing by the decision to publish the letter.

But the court rejected these claims, and says the Duchess has “a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter.”

The judge continued, adding “the contents were personal, private and not matters of legitimate public interest”.

ANL says it is disappointed with the decision and is considering an appeal to the UK’s Supreme Court.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 The Ticker Company PTY LTD