Connect with us

Sport

Australia cricket legend Shane Warne dies of suspected heart attack

Published

on

The cricket world is in shock, as legend Shane Warne dies of a suspected heart attack

Australia cricket legend and the greatest leg-spinner of all-time, Shane Warne, has died, aged 52. 

Warne’s management released a statement in the early hours of Saturday saying that he passed away in Koh Samui, Thailand, of a suspected heart attack. 

“Shane was found unresponsive in his villa and despite the best efforts of medical staff, he could not be revived,” the statement reads.

“The family requests privacy at this time and will provide further details in due course.”

According to the Herald Sun newspaper, attempts by Warne’s close friend and associate Andrew Neophitou to revive him were unsuccessful.

Staff at the Thai International Hospital told AFP in Bangkok that Warne’s body was taken to their facility around 6:00 pm local time (1100 GMT) from Samujana Villas, a luxury resort in the northeast of Koh Samui.

Australian captain Pat Cummins, currently leading the team on a tour of Pakistan, said Warne was “a hero” to the current generation of cricketers.

World reaction

Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara, who with Shane Warne formed Test cricket’s holy trinity of the 1990s and 2000s, have shared their griefs at the sudden death of the Australian sporting great.

https://twitter.com/BrianLara/status/1499767651899432963?s=20&t=m2O0tPCFUIq5KNJlAxmqQg

Warne was cricket’s greatest modern day superstar, and took 708 wickets in his spellbinding Test career as a leg-spinner.

Known internationally as “Warnie”, the Victorian made his Test debut at the SCG in 1992 and by the end of his career was rated one of the top five cricketers of the 20th century by Wisden.

Off the field, Warne made headlines from the UK to Australia and at one point dated actress, Liz Hurley.

Australian Test opener David Warner said he was struggling to take in the loss of Warne and Rod Marsh on the same day – posting a picture of them together.

“Two legends of our game have left us too soon. I’m lost for words, and this is extremely sad,” said Warner on Twitter.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to the Marsh and Warne family. I just cannot believe it. RIP you both will be missed.”

https://twitter.com/gilly381/status/1499752129094840325?s=20&t=KyApvij7uDFWk4ugocgdjw

Sport

Kyrgios through to Wimbledon semi-final amid court battle

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios is through to the Wimbledon semi-final for the first time in his career, but the controversial Australian tennis star is remaining tight lipped about his off-court battle

Ahead of the stellar match, Australian police confirmed the 27-year-old will be required to appear in a Canberra court next month amid allegations of assault by a former girlfriend.

Kyrgios says it’s been difficult to read reports about the alleged claims, but it did not impact him mentally.

During a post-match press conference, Kyrgios told reporters he has a lot on his mind at the moment, but he’s been advised by his lawyers to stay quiet.

The Aussie put on an incredible show for fans around the world, powering through to the next round in a straight sets victory over Christian Garin.

When it comes to reaching the semi-final, Kyrgios says he’s just so proud of his recent achievements.

Continue Reading

Sport

Nick Kyrgios to face Australian court

Published

on

One of Tennis’ most iconic events, Wimbledon, is underway and it’s been action-packed

Quarter-finalist Nick Kyrgios has been in hot water and the spotlight continues on the aussie, he is set to appear in court next month once Wimbledon has come to a close

He’ll head down under to face an allegation of common assault.

Police said it follows an incident in December last year which Kyrgios’ lawyer says was “in the context of a domestic relationship”.

He will play Chile’s Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon last eight on Wednesday.

Kyrgios’ lawyer told the Canberra times “The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.”

The Association of Tennis Professionals is aware of the Australian case involving Kyrgios but declined to comment further at this time.

Continue Reading

Sport

Williams loses first round at Wimbledon

Published

on

There’s been a bit of drama on the court as the most prestigious tennis Grand Slam gets underway

Spectators filled the All England Club on Monday to watch the biggest tennis stars hit the court at Wimbledon.

After coming back from a lengthy break, Serena Williams lost in three sets to 24-year-old, Harmony Tan.

“When I saw the draw, I was really scared. I don’t know what to say, I’m so emotional now because she’s a superstar,” Tan says.

Tan took the first set 7-5, before Williams took over 6-1. Tan fought back to win a thrilling third set tie-breaker.

“Because it’s Serena Williams, she’s a legend. I was like, oh my God. How can I play? If I could win one game, or two games, it’s really good for me.”

HARMONY TAN

Despite her dramatic loss, the former world number one is brushing off retirement rumours.

Kyrgios spits at crowd

Meanwhile, in men’s singles, Aussie tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, caused a bit of a stir calling the chair umpire a “snitch” after she supposedly complained to the court umpire about his behaviour.

The 27-year-old will likely be up for a fine for also spitting towards a fan during the match.

Kyrgios says there was a lot of disrespect from the crowd, which is why he admitted to spitting towards a fan.

“I’ve been dealing with hate and negativity for a long time, so I don’t feel like I owed that person anything,” he says.

The ATP remains in crisis talks over Wimbledon’s Russia ban.

Katerina Kostakos contributed to this report

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD