Connect with us

Business

Toyota production stoppage extended amid supply strain

Published

on

As the world continues to deal with growing supply-chain shortages, Toyota has announced it plans to extend a stoppage at two factories in Japan

Toyota Motor Corporation has revealed it intends to extend a partial production suspension at two factories within Japan, due to COVID related supply problems from Southeast Asia.

According to Kyodo news, lost production caused by the suspension in December will now total approximately 14,000 vehicles, a rise from the expected 9,000 flagged last Friday.

The production cuts are some of the biggest seen within the automotive sector, and comes as Toyota attempts to make up for lost production, caused by earlier supply-chain issues within Malaysia and Vietnam.

The car maker will maintain its annual global production target of 9 million vehicles for fiscal year 2021.

Toyota extends production halt / Image: File

In October, US President Joe Biden unveiled plans to tackle the international supply-chain crisis

The President ordered a “90 day sprint” back in the month of October, as a solution to reduce bottlenecks.

Biden also announced that a major shipping hub, the Port of Los Angeles will move to constant service.

White House chief of Staff Jen Psaki says the Biden administration is “using every tool at their disposal to ease the impact on the American people”.

The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc on supply chains right around the world… with the vast network of ports, container vessels and trucking companies now badly congested.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Business

IRS to require facial recognition in order to file and pay taxes

Published

on

A major shake-up is coming to the way US citizens file their taxes

Citizens that file their taxes online tax will soon be required to submit a selfie to a third-party identity verification company using facial recognition tech in order to file their taxes or make IRS payments online.

According to Gizmodo, from this summer, online users with an IRS.gov account will no longer be able to log in with a simple username and password.

The new process will instead involve facial recognition. Users will need to provide a government identification document, a selfie, and copies of their bills to Virginian-based identity verification firm ID.me to confirm who they are.

That change, first noticed by Krebs on Security, marks a major shift for the IRS which previously allowed users to file their taxes without submitting personal biometric data.

Gizmodo reports that a statement from an IRS spokesperson said users can still receive basic information from the IRS website without logging in, however the representative added they would need to sign in through ID.me to make and view payments, access tax records, view or create payment plans, manage communications preference, or view tax authorisations.

Users attempting to log in to their accounts using ID.me will have to create an account with the company by uploading either a driver’s license, passport, or passport card.

Continue Reading

Business

The international airlines suspending US flights

Published

on

Emirates has announced that it is suspending a majority of flights to the United States due to the planned launch of 5G

Flights are suspended to all destinations in the United States, except major cities including Los Angeles, New York and Washington.

Due to operational concerns associated with the planned deployment of 5G mobile network services in the US at certain airports

EMIRATES SAID in a memo to employees

Air India, All Nippon Airways, and Japan Airlines, have all suspended most routes to the United States as well.

This follows the world’s largest telecommunications company AT&T announcing it will delay the implementation of its 5G service at some airports in the United States.

This is all in response to CEOs of America’s largest airlines warning of a major disruption to travel and shipping if the service is rolled out. 

In an open letter, the executives call for 5G technology to be limited near US airports.

In the statement, the CEOs are requesting a limit on 5G within 2 miles of airport runways as defined by the FAA

It says “Immediate intervention is needed to avoid significant operational disruption to air passengers, shippers, supply chain and delivery of needed medical supplies”.

Continue Reading

Business

Airline CEOs warn of major 5G disruption near airports

Published

on

CEO’s of America’s largest airlines are warning of a major disruption to travel and shipping

They’re calling for 5G technology to be limited near U.S airports

In an open letter also signed by shipping giants FedEec and UPS, the CEO’s wrote with urgency to request a limit on 5G within 2 miles of airport runways as defined by the FAA

The say that “Immediate intervention is needed to avoid significant operational disruption to air passengers, shippers, supply chain and delivery of needed medical supplies”

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 The Ticker Company PTY LTD