Connect with us

World

11-year-old boy becomes sixth death following jumping castle tragedy

Published

on

Six children have now died following a tragic jumping castle accident at a primary school in Australia

The children fell an estimated 10 metres after the jumping castle was picked up by a powerful gust of wind.

A sixth child has died, Chace Harrison was just 11-years-old, one of the youngest part of this heart breaking tragedy.

Chace Harrison died in hospital on Sunday afternoon.

His death follows those of 11-year-old Addison and 12-year-olds Zane, Jye, Jalailah and Peter.

Two children remain in a critical condition in Royal Hobart Hospital and one other is in recovery at home.

Tributes and flowers have been laid outside Hillcrest primary school… all in mourning for those siz little lives lost

The children were grade five and six students, who were celebrating an end-of-year event in the town of Devonport in Tasmania.

The state’s Police Commissioner says the children were meant to be celebrating, not mourning.

Several fundraisers have been launched to support the families of the children who died in the tragedy

More than a million dollars has been raised in the community to support those mourning the tragedy.

It’s unthinkable heartbreak right before Christmas.

Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said this will leave families completed devastated.

He visited the Primary School with his wife Jenny… they paid their respects and this was the note they left with flowers

The Prime minster says an extra $800,000 will also be made available to fund trauma counselling.

Quarter of a million dollars will go to first responders involved in the aftermath of the accident and over half a million will go to the broader community.

Four forensic child interviewers will travel there from Sydney over the coming days.

A report will be prepared by the coroner, as tributes continue to pour in for the families and wider community

Authorities are working to preserve hand written notes and establish a more permanent memorial.

World

President Joe Biden surveys catastrophic damage left by Hurricane Ian

Published

on

Many homes and businesses lay in ruins amid debris in southwestern Florida

On Wednesday, U.S. President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill visited Florida in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian making a direct hit to the state last week.

As many homes and businesses lay in ruins amid debris, the President promised to use the power of the federal government to help the community rebuild throughout the sunshine state.

The President comforted residents alongside Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis—a possible competitor in 2024— as well as joining GOP members of Congress for a tour of some of the hardest hit areas in southwestern Florida.

However, both men agreed to put politics aside for now, instead focusing on helping the community.

Speaking in Fort Meyers, which took the brunt of Ian, Biden said, “Today we have one job and only one job, and that’s to make sure the people in Florida get everything they need to fully, thoroughly recover.”

Hurricane Ian is considered one of the post powerful storms to ever hit the United States.

So far, officials have confirmed that at least 84 people died, including 75 in Florida.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands are still wait for power to be restored.

Continue Reading

World

North Korea’s five biggest missiles

Published

on

North Korea has flown a missile over Japan for the first time in five years

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris did not mince her words when she paid a visit to the demilitarised zone last week.

“In the North, we see a brutal dictatorship, rampant human rights violations and an unlawful weapons program that threatens peace and stability,” she said.

North Korea’s latest missile launch is the latest in a string of tests following Harris’ visit.

U.S. President Joe Biden spoke with Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida following Tuesday’s long-range missile. The pair condemned the test in the “strongest terms,” as they described it as a danger to the Japanese people.

Associate Professor Tilman Ruff from the University of Melbourne believes the threat of nuclear war has increased.

“This is clearly the time of greatest danger of nuclear war since the at least the Cuban missile crisis.”

North Korea has carried out over 30 missile tests this year, as authorities brace themselves for bigger weapon, which could reach the U.S. east coast.

in response to Tuesday’s test, South Korea and the U.S. fired a string of missiles into the East Sea.

5. The Musudan

The Musudan, or the Hwasong-10 is a medium-range ballistic missile, which has an estimated range of more than 4,000km.

The missile was first tested in October 2016 and is believed to be capable of reaching South Korea and Japan.

4. The KN-08

The KN-08 is a long-range ballistic missile, which boasts an estimated range of more than 6,000km.

While North Korea had two unsuccessful tests of this weapon in 2016, it was successfully tested in 2017.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-Un inspects his weaponry.

3. The Pukguksong-2

The Pukguksong-2 is a medium-range ballistic missile, which has an estimated range of more than 2,000km.

This is a land-based variant of the Pukguksong-1 weapon, which is submarine-launched.

The missile was first tested in February of 2017 and is believed to be capable of reaching South Korea and Japan.

2. The Hwasong-14

The Hwasong-14 is North Korea’s first intercontinental ballistic missile. It is also one of their most powerful missiles, with an estimated range of more than 8,000km.

The missile was first tested in July 2017 and is believed to be capable of reaching New York.

1. The Hwasong-12

The latest missile test over Japanese territory is understood to be an intermediate-range Hwasong-12.

This ballistic missile has an estimated range of more than 4,500km, and is believed to be capable of reaching the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific.

The long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12.

North Korea’s missile tests have risen under the rule of its current leader, Kim Jong-Un. In fact, there have been more test launches this year, than in the previous decade alone.

“If anybody thought that the risk of nuclear war went away with the end of the Cold War, then these current concerns should put an end to any such complacency.”

Associate Professor Tilman Ruff, the University of Melbourne

There are also a range of other weapons in the North Korean inventory, including a nuclear bomb, which is believed to be six times bigger than what the U.S. dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.

Continue Reading

Business

Rolls Royce CEO slams aviation for failing on climate targets

Published

on

Aviation needs to act on net-zero targets, that’s according to the CEO of Rolls Royce

Warren East says the sector needs to move towards bio-fuels like hydrogen and electric aircraft.

Travellers can even look forward to flying on planes that has a gas turbine that’s burning hydrogen.

Speaking at a conference in London, East says transitional technology is the answer that plane-makers are searching for.

Some companies are already looking at sustainable fuels that can offer 80 per cent off carbon emissions across their lifetime.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD