Connect with us

Tech

Taliban slams Facebook for curbing Afghanistan’s freedom of speech

Published

on

The Taliban has slammed social media giant Facebook over protections on freedom of speech

The militant group has taken aim at the tech giant for curbing freedom of speech in Afghanistan following a ban on its content, as a result of the crackdown by the US firm.

Reports claim that while answering a question on freedom of speech at a virtual press conference, Taliban spokesperson Suhail Shaheen stated that, “The question should be asked to those people who are claiming to be promoters of freedom of speech who do not allow publication of all information.. the Facebook company, this question should be asked to them.”

On Monday, Facebook confirmed that under the obligation of US law, it was bound to ban the outfit’s content from its social media platforms, including WhatsApp, as the Taliban are designated a terrorist group.

“The Taliban is sanctioned as a terrorist organization under US law and we have banned them from our services under our Dangerous Organization policies,”

It was further stated that the company is required to follow the US sanctions

According to the Financial Times, reports also detail that Facebook has been forced to shut down a WhatsApp hotline the Taliban had set up to receive complaints about violence and looting.

The news comes with social media platforms facing pressure to block accounts used by the Taliban since the offensive which led to the takeover of the war-ravaged country.

Facebook said it was using “a dedicated team of Afghanistan experts to help guide policy.

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

Tech

U.S. warns against hiring North Korean tech workers

Published

on

The U.S. is warning North Korean workers are trying to find IT jobs by hiding their identities

The U.S. believes workers are seeking to steal money for their home country.

Many of them are allegedly pretending to be from other parts of Asia, according to three U.S. agencies.

The State Department says thousands of highly skilled IT workers are sent around the world to generate revenue to help with North Korea’s weapons production.

“The DPRK [North Korea] dispatches thousands of highly skilled IT workers around the world to generate revenue that contributes to its weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programmes, in violation of US and UN sanctions.”

U.S. State Department

If North Korea is employing workers to fund its missiles program, the move would be in violation of U.N. international sanctions.

“The United States is committed to disrupting illicit DPRK revenue-generating activities, which may facilitate criminal activity, provide direct support to the DPRK’s unlawful weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programs, and threaten international peace and security,” the U.S. State Department said in a statement.

The country has conducted several missile tests in recent months, including a banned intercontinental ballistic missile.

Continue Reading

Business

Apple delays return to the office as COVID rates spike

Published

on

Apple has delayed its staff from returning to HQ on a full-time basis

Apple has delayed its workers from returning to the office full time.

Employees who are in the current working in the office two-day-per-week as part of a trial programme will have the option to once again work fully remote if they feel uncomfortable coming into the office.

According to news outlet The Verge, a memo released by Apple’s COVID-19 response team says that its updates are based on current infection rates and hospitalisations.

Apple is also requesting employees who do decide to return to the office to wear masks when in common areas like meeting rooms, hallways, and elevators.

Continue Reading

Tech

Social media giants slammed for spreading graphic footage from Buffalo shooting

Published

on

Social-media sites are being slammed for the spread of graphic and far-right material from Saturday’s horrific attack in Buffalo, New York

The gunman livestreamed the fatal shooting of 10 people at a Buffalo supermarket on Twitch.

The gut wrenching footage captured on the gunman’s helmet, was duplicated on other streaming sites after Twitch removed it.

Twitch was quick to take down the live stream, but meta and twitter still remain behind the eight ball and under heavy scrutiny.

The platforms say footage from the attack and links to the shooter’s manifesto are being actively removed.

While 22 viewers watched the stream live on Twitch, the Washington Post says a copy uploaded to an alternative streaming site was viewed more than three million times before its removal.

Facebook did not remove a link to the copy for more than 10 hours, racking up tens of thousands of views

Meta says it is removing and blocking copies of the livestream, the shooter’s manifesto and external links to them.

But Meta says some people have been trying to bypass its policies to post material from the attack online.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD