Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

Tech

Russian REVIL cyber gang disappears after demanding $70M in Bitcoin

Published

on

The REVIL ransomware group has mysteriously disappeared from the web without a trace after demanding a $70M ransom payout in Bitcoin

The infamous ransomware group REVIL has mysteriously vanished without a trace.

Websites and other digital infrastructure that belonged to the hackers, who are believed to be from either Eastern Europe or Russia, went dark on Tuesday.

Information security blog Bleeping Computer says ” All REVIL sites are down, including payment sites and data leak pages”.

Biden promises ‘consequences’ for Russian hackers

It’s unclear why the group has gone dark, but it comes after US President Joe Biden told Russia’s President Vladimir Putin that there would be ‘consequences’ if the Kremlin didn’t address the ongoing spate of ransomware attacks.

Biden has previously stressed the importance of addressing hacks, acknowledging their threat to critical infrastructure that is relied on by Americans. However, speculation is still mounting as to why REVIL has suddenly disappeared.

Cybersecurity firm Exabeam told CNN, “this outage could be criminal maintenance, planned retirement, or, more likely, the result of an offensive response to the criminal enterprise’.

REVIL gang demands $70M in Bitcoin ransom

This comes after the group asked for a $70M ransom in Bitcoin from victims of a recent hack. They promised to release a ‘universal decryptor key’ to all victims if anyone was willing to pay the ransom.

The REVIL gang posted a blog entry on its personal website on the dark web taking credit for the audacious cyber attack on MSP providers in the US which they claim affected over a million systems.

“Everyone will be able to recover from the attack in less than an hour,” the post read.

Will the companies pay the ransom?

The general advice from cyber-security experts is to not pay hackers to retrieve their data, because it encourages future attacks.

However, John Hammond from Huntress Labs doesn’t believe the situation is so simple. The cybersecurity firm Huntress Labs Inc is leading the investigation into the attack.

“This is an extremely intricate and tough situation,” he said in a private Twitter message to Ticker reporters.

“You have to make the decision that is best for your business,” he said.

The Kaseya cyber attack

The attack targeted more than 20 managed service providers (MSP). Yesterday, Huntress Labs anticipated the hack had affected more than 1000 businesses, which expectations that the figure would grow based on reports from the providers and a Reddit thread tracking the hack.

“It’s reasonable to think this could potentially be impacting thousands of small businesses,” tweeted John Hammond from Huntress Labs. Hammond says the attack targeted a software supplier called Kaseya.

Biden has sinced called for US intelligence to conduct a “deep dive” into the attacks. “We’re not sure it’s the Russians,” he said. “The initial thinking was, it was not the Russian government, but we’re not sure yet.”

Sweden closes up shop

Another victim of the attack is Sweden, which has seen around 500 supermarkets unable to trade.

Coop Sweden has closed half of its 800 stores after its point-of-sale tills and self-service checkouts stopped working just before the weekend.

The supermarket itself was not targeted by hackers. However, because it uses on of the affected MSPs it too has fallen victim to the attack.

Cybersecurity becomes and international security issue

This comes as the latest in a string of ransomware attacks in recent months, including the attack on JBS. Experts have also attributed the JBS attack to the REvil cyber gang.

It also comes shortly after President Joe Biden signed an executive order to strengthen cybersecurity defences across the US.

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Tech

Sam Altman predicts superintelligence could appear by 2028

Sam Altman warns superintelligence may arise by 2028, advocating for global cooperation and a new governing body for AI.

Published

on

Sam Altman warns superintelligence may arise by 2028, advocating for global cooperation and a new governing body for AI.

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman has issued a bold prediction, suggesting that early forms of superintelligence could emerge as soon as 2028. Speaking at the India AI Impact Summit, Altman emphasised the urgent need for global cooperation to manage AI development responsibly.

He proposed the creation of an international oversight body for AI, similar to the International Atomic Energy Agency, to prevent misuse and ensure ethical advancements. Altman also raised concerns about authoritarian control in exchange for technological gains, highlighting the geopolitical stakes of AI.

With over 100 million users in India alone, ChatGPT has become a key part of the AI landscape. Altman acknowledged potential job disruptions but expressed optimism about society’s ability to adapt to rapid AI changes.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Tech

Apple faces legal action as West Virginia sues over child safety

West Virginia AG John McCuskey sues Apple for failing to block child abuse material on iCloud and iOS devices.

Published

on

West Virginia AG John McCuskey sues Apple for failing to block child abuse material on iCloud and iOS devices.

West Virginia’s attorney general John McCuskey has filed a lawsuit against Apple Inc., alleging the tech giant failed to properly prevent child sexual abuse material from circulating on iCloud and iOS devices. The legal action claims the company’s strong stance on user privacy may have come at the expense of child safety protections.

McCuskey argues that other major tech firms, including Google and Microsoft, have taken stronger steps to detect and remove such content. The lawsuit intensifies scrutiny on how Silicon Valley balances encryption, privacy, and online safety.

The case could have major implications for Apple’s privacy-first branding and how platforms police illegal material moving forward.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Tech

Zuckerberg testifies on social media addiction and child safety

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies in LA trial over claims that platforms are addictive and harmful to children.

Published

on

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies in LA trial over claims that platforms are addictive and harmful to children.

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, is testifying at a landmark social media trial in Los Angeles, marking a pivotal moment in the debate over online child safety. Lawyers for the plaintiffs argue that Meta intentionally designed its platforms to be addictive, putting young users at risk.

This is the first time Zuckerberg has addressed concerns about child safety directly before a jury, with KGM’s case acting as one of around 20 test trials aimed at gauging how jurors respond to claims that social media companies knowingly fuel harmful engagement.

The outcome could set the tone for future litigation against tech giants and reshape how platforms are designed, regulated and held accountable.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now