Protestors did not gather in Melbourne’s CBD today, with police patrols returning in numbers to protect vaccination centres, following abuse directed at health workers in previous days
Community organisation cohealth was forced to temporarily close its vaccination centre in Melbourne’s Town Hall, after health workers were reportedly spat on and abused yesterday.
cohealth chief executive Nicole Batholomeusz said staff had been physically and verbally abused in the city during the protest, and that they had been “targeted because they were wearing their cohealth identification”.
“We have instructed all staff not to wear their cohealth uniforms, lanyards or scrubs in the city, to avoid being targeted.
Premier Daniel Andrews condemned the actions of protestors who targeted health workers, and said he expected Victoria Police to identify and “deal with” those responsible for the abuse.
Police arrested more than 200 people at the Shrine of Remembrance yesterday, after a stand-off between officers and protestors lasted several hours
Protestors were mostly given infringement notices, with some charged with more serious offences for using flares and throwing objects.
Two police officers were struck in the head with bottles, while another officer was admitted to hospital with chest pains.
The demonstrations were originally planned to protest against new regulations that saw the entire construction industry shut down and tradespeople forced to get vaccinated against COVID-19 if they want to return to work.
But the state’s Deputy Commissioner says it is difficult to determine what demographics the protestors were from with speculation some may have been right-wing extremists.
It comes as Premier Daniel Andrews says many of the individuals who attended the demonstrations are an insult to the majority of tradies across Victoria.
Meanwhile, Australian Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young believes Australians should be on high alert.
Air-traffic to resume over Melbourne CBD following flight ban
Meanwhile, media organisations in Melbourne have successfully challenged the flight ban over the CBD which would have banned live broadcast of the protest this week.
Nine Network, owner of The Age, Seven and the ABC were granted a stay by the Federal Court, which means live coverage can now resume until the case progresses.
Restrictions were placed on air-traffic by Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority at the request of Victoria Police, after concerns were raised that protestors were watching aerial live streams to monitor police operations.
The case will now proceed to a trial.
Treason charges for Windsor Castle intruder
An intruder who carried a crossbow into the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas Day 2021 has been charged under the UK’s Treason Act
20 year old Jaswant Singh Chail was charged under the 1842 Treason Act.
He is accused of ‘wilfully producing a loaded crossbow with intent’ to harm the Queen.
Police say he was stopped within moments of entering the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas morning 2021, and did not enter any buildings.
The Queen was in residence at Windsor Castle that Christmas, instead of her usual Christmas stay at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
Under the Treason Act of 1842, people are prohibited from “discharging or aiming firearms, or throwing or using any offensive matter or weapon, with the intent to injure or alarm her Majesty”.
Mr Chail will appear before Westminster Magistrate’s Court on August 17.
Officer dubbed a ‘hero’ after killing Texas school shooter
18-year-old gunman Salvador Ramos was reportedly shot and killed at Robb Elementary in Texas by the unidentified policeman
The border patrol agent was reportedly working nearby the area when Ramos opened fire at the school in Uvalde, Texas.
Before the officer stopped him, Ramos murdered 19 students and two teachers while wounding many others on Tuesday.
Without waiting for backup the ‘hero’ policeman allegedly rushed to the scene when the shooting was reported.
Police say the gunman barricaded himself inside a classroom shooting anyone that got in his way.
The officer was allegedly wounded during the confrontation but was able to leave the school without sustaining further harm.
He was reportedly part of an elite tactical unit.
Authorities say Ramos shot his grandmother then drove and crashed his vehicle in a ditch near the school before going on the rampage.
Tuesday’s massacre was America’s worst elementary school shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012.
VictimsFirst network has pledged to donate the Texas Elementary School Shooting Victims Fund directly to the victims’ families, “with no strings attached.”
Danaya Malenda contributed to this report.
Witnesses testify to Depp’s ‘drug problems’ in defamation suit
Day 19: Amber Heard’s witnesses testify at trial about Johnny Depp’s drug and alcohol use
Heard’s ex-best friend, former agent, and former business manager, as well as her former attorney, provide an account of Depp’s ‘erratic behaviour’ in court on Thursday.
Ellen Barkin who had a sexual relationship with the actor in 1994 also testified that he was a “jealous man“ who was “controlling” as well as “angry and demanding”.
A former long-time close friend testifies
Bruce Witkin was the first witness to be called on Thursday for Heard’s defence.
Witkin was Depp’s former long-time friend from 1982 and ‘best friend’ by 2018.
When recalling what ended their friendship Witkin says he wasn’t sure, except that he received a text from Depp saying Witkin had “stabbed him in the back.”
Witkin also says that during their friendship he observed Depp abusing substances and recommended Depp get sober, which he did on a few occasions.
However, Witkin alleged that during his sobriety from opiates the star continued using other substances.
Witkin testified saying, “it just seemed weird to me there was weed and wine in soberness.”
He also spoke of his surprise when he saw his friend begin using cocaine for the first time in 2014, and then again in 2016.
“In my experience, it’s deep-rooted issues he’s dealing with,” says Witkin.
“It had nothing to do with Amber, in my opinion.”
Depp’s former agent Tracey Jacobs who helped him to become ‘the biggest star in the world’ appeared via a video link in the star’s multi-million dollar defamation suit against his ex-wife.
Testifying about the difficulties of representing the actor for roughly 30 years and her experience of his problematic behaviour during the last decade of their professional relationship.
Jacobs told the court that Depp displayed “unprofessional” conduct on sets which included being unprepared and escalating anger issues due to increased alcohol and drug use.
“Showing up late to set consistently on virtually every movie,” says Jacobs.
“I would get yelled at. I never said to him, ‘you’re a difficult client,’ but I was very honest with him and said, ‘you’ve got to stop doing this, this is hurting you.’ And it did.”
Jacobs testifying about Depp’s fall from grace says the actor’s “star had dimmed” due to his bad reputation.
On the topic of Depp ending their professional collaboration in 2016 Jacobs says, “all I know is he essentially terminated everyone in his life, and I was along for the ride, I guess”.
Former business manager
Depp’s former business manager Joel Mandel who met the actor around 1999 and worked with him until 2016, testified that he saw the actor’s behaviour become ‘erratic’.
In addition to displaying “disproportionate” reactions to things, Mandel also attested to Depp’s income and spending during the time they worked together.
He describes the star’s lifestyle as having changed when he rose to fame, saying the increase in income was followed by increased spending to maintain the new lifestyle.
Mandel says that there came a point where Depp’s income could no longer support his lifestyle, requesting that the business manager make severe cutbacks.
As a result, Mandel says he was unable to pay the actor’s taxes in October 2015.
“His financial circumstances in 2015 had reached a point where I was extremely concerned and was on a very regular basis expressing that concern,” says Mandel.
However, he says that his concerns about the dire circumstances were not met favourably by the star as he fired him.
Defamation lawsuit continues in court
In 2018, Depp sued Heard for $50 million over an op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post, in which she described surviving domestic violence — without mentioning her ex-husband by name.
Heard filed a counter-suit against the actor for $100 million in 2020, which is ongoing and nearing its end with testimony expected to end next week and closing arguments set for Friday, May 27.
Danaya Malenda contributed to this report.
North Korea’s five biggest missiles
Coolio’s manager reveals rap artist died from suspected heart attack
Rolls Royce CEO slams aviation for failing on climate targets
Crypto.com accidentally transfers $10.5m to woman instead of $100
What is happening between SHIB and Vitalik? | TICKER VIEWS
Russia has cancelled itself. But the world should beware of poking the Russian bear￼
World1 day ago
Russia claims a nuclear train is headed for Ukraine
World1 day ago
Ukraine war: If Putin engages in nuclear, he is signing his own ‘suicide note’
World1 day ago
North Korea flies missile over Japan, prompting citizens to rush for shelter
Business2 days ago
Tesla results reveal a dark cloud hanging over the automotive industry
World2 days ago
Macron promises to restore Ukraine to its former glory
Crypto2 days ago
Coinbase users in the dark following company-wide fault
Business2 days ago
Credit Suisse seeks to calm worried investors
Tech1 day ago
Crowdfunding campaign buys tank for Ukrainian army