Connect with us

World

Imran Khan dismissed as Pakistan Prime Minister after losing no-confidence vote

Published

on

Imran Khan was dismissed on Sunday as Pakistan prime minister after losing a no-confidence vote in parliament following weeks of political turmoil.

It’s not yet known when a new premier will be chosen, but Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) chief Shehbaz Sharif was almost certain to be picked to lead the country.

No prime mister has ever served a full term in Pakistan.

174 lawmakers voted in favour of the motion, “consequently the vote of no confidence has passed”.

Khan, 69, tried everything he could to stay in power – including dissolving parliament and calling a fresh election.

There was drama right until the midnight deadline ordered by the Supreme Court, with the speaker of the assembly – a Khan loyalist – resigning at the last minute.

“We will put a balm on the wounds of this nation.”

Shehbaz Sharif

Khan lost his majority in the 342-seat assembly through defections by coalition partners and members of his own party.

Huge task ahead

The next Prime Minister has a huge task ahead – soaring inflation, a feeble rupee and crippling debt.

Tempers rose earlier when Sharif insisted a vote be held immediately – as ordered by the Supreme Court on Thursday – but Khan loyalists demanded discussion first on their leader’s claims there had been foreign interference in the process.

Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi lashed out at the country’s opposition.

“History will expose all those, who set the stage for this move to topple the government,” he said, to chants of “vote, vote” from the opposition.

Khan insists he has been the victim of a “regime change” conspiracy, pointing to the United States.

Ahron Young is an award winning journalist who has covered major news events around the world. Ahron is the Managing Editor and Founder of TICKER NEWS.

Climate Change

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm

Published

on

Hurricane Ian could be Florida’s deadliest storm as it continues north towards South Carolina

U.S. President Joe Biden says Hurricane Ian could be the deadliest storm in the region’s history, with early reports suggesting substantial loss of life.

Biden spoke at an afternoon briefing at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema).

Ian made landfall on Wednesday local time near the city of Fort Myers. It has led to severe flooding, high winds and storm surges.

Several areas remain submerged, and more than 2.5 million homes are without power.

Many residents are trapped in their homes and unable to escape. Search and rescue teams are working around the clock to provide assistance where they can.

5,000 Florida National Guard troops and 2,000 Guardsman from surrounding states have been deployed.

Eight teams with 800 members are carrying out search and rescue operations.

More than 200 public shelters have now been opened, housing around 34,000 people.

The National Hurricane Centre has downgraded Ian to a tropical storm for now but warns it will likely become a hurricane again later.

The entire coast of South Carolina is just the latest region to be placed on high alert as the storm continues north on its path of destruction.

Continue Reading

World

Finland slams its borders shut on Russia

Published

on

Finland will officially closed its border to Russian tourists, marking the last of Moscow’s E-U neighbours to do so.

Finland will close its border with Russia as Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania also closed theirs.

The Finnish government made the decision following Vladimir Putin’s decision to call-up of 300,000 military reservists.

Queue’s at Russia’s border crossings with E-U nations were stretching for kilometres as people attempted to flee the country.

The closure of the border only applies to tourists – and Russians who are visiting family or travelling for work or study will still be granted entry.

The Finnish Foreign Minister stated that the decision was a difficult one to make, but ultimately it was in the best interest of the country.

Continue Reading

World

Queen’s death certificate has been released

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II’s death certificate has been released, and reveals Her Majesty died of old age.

The document, signed by Queen’s daughter Princess Anne, says Queen Elizabeth II passed away peacefully at 3:10 p.m. on September 8.

The 96 year old was surrounded by family at Balmoral Castle in Scotland as she took her final breaths.

Now laid to rest in St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, Queen Elizabeth II’s period of national mourning has concluded.

When she was alive there was a curtain of privacy around the Queen’s health, and in her death there remains some restraint.

Her cause of death is recorded as “old age”, without any further details.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD