Connect with us

Sport

Federer’s French Finale? | TICKER VIEWS

Published

on

Well he did warn us after his third round win but Roger Federer has officially pulled out of the French Open and it’s come with a little bit of backlash.

Now of course as we know it’s hard not to love the man.

“And thank you for not falling asleep everybody, I appreciate it”

FEDERER SAID WITH A SMILE AND LAUGH AFTER HIS ROUND 3 WIN.

But The 39-year old, who turns 40 in August this year, finished that that four-set win in front of basically no one, given it was just before 1 am local time.

French fans haven’t seen Federer play since 2015 and they may never see him again.

Earlier in the tournament the 20-time Grand Slam winner did warn us that he was prioritising playing Wimbledon in a few weeks after two recent knee surgeries.

“After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery.”

AN EVENTFUL TOURNAMENT FOR WRONG REASONS

Tournament organisers have had a rough time after they were criticised for their handling of the Naomi Osaka media conference drama. Critics say should have had a softer touch.

Tournament director Guy Forget was understandably, and not surprisingly, supportive of Federer heading home. But not everyone was.

Tennis legend John McEnroe is never short of an opinion and he wasn’t happy. The seven-time Grand Slam winner suggested Federer should have retired in round three and allowed his opponent (Dominik Koepfer) to win.

Former Australian Open tournament director Paul McNamee agreed tweeting out:

“You’re not at a candy store, able to pick and choose which matches you play.”

Now if you’re a tennis tragic you may want to look away now.

It’s not a question many want to contemplate, but as every day passes: Will Federer ever play another French Open and will this be his last year all-together?

The countdown is on to what will arguably be the biggest moment in tennis history.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sport

Williams loses first round at Wimbledon

Published

on

There’s been a bit of drama on the court as the most prestigious tennis Grand Slam gets underway

Spectators filled the All England Club on Monday to watch the biggest tennis stars hit the court at Wimbledon.

After coming back from a lengthy break, Serena Williams lost in three sets to 24-year-old, Harmony Tan.

“When I saw the draw, I was really scared. I don’t know what to say, I’m so emotional now because she’s a superstar,” Tan says.

Tan took the first set 7-5, before Williams took over 6-1. Tan fought back to win a thrilling third set tie-breaker.

“Because it’s Serena Williams, she’s a legend. I was like, oh my God. How can I play? If I could win one game, or two games, it’s really good for me.”

HARMONY TAN

Despite her dramatic loss, the former world number one is brushing off retirement rumours.

Kyrgios spits at crowd

Meanwhile, in men’s singles, Aussie tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, caused a bit of a stir calling the chair umpire a “snitch” after she supposedly complained to the court umpire about his behaviour.

The 27-year-old will likely be up for a fine for also spitting towards a fan during the match.

Kyrgios says there was a lot of disrespect from the crowd, which is why he admitted to spitting towards a fan.

“I’ve been dealing with hate and negativity for a long time, so I don’t feel like I owed that person anything,” he says.

The ATP remains in crisis talks over Wimbledon’s Russia ban.

Katerina Kostakos contributed to this report

Continue Reading

Sport

Mike Riley steps down as referee chief

Published

on

One of the biggest names in the referee world, Mike Riley, has confirmed he will be stepping down as head of the English League referees

After 13 years, Mike Riley has confirmed he will be stepping down from his role as managing director of Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

The iconic referee leader will finish his role at the end of the 2022-23 season. Riley says he has enjoyed working in such a ‘dedicated group’.

“I am proud of the contribution our match officials have made to the professional game and have enjoyed working with a such a dedicated, professional and high-quality group at all of the levels that PGMOL manages.

As the elite referee development plan begins to take shape, now is the right time to plan for the future and allow the new leadership team to build on the strong foundations that we have in place. I look forward to working with the new team over the next season and giving them my support before I step down.”

mike riley

The Premier League formally thanked Riley for his contributions and commitment over the last 13 years.

“On behalf of the Premier League, I would like to thank Mike for his valuable contribution and significant commitment to PGMOL over the last 13 years as well as his considerable service to the game as an elite referee for 20 years,” said the Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters.

“During his time at PGMOL, he has worked hard to deliver and develop high-quality match officials across the professional game and led on the implementation of VAR into the Premier League three seasons ago.”

PGMOL

The search is now on to replace the top spot with Riley collaborating with the new team before officially stepping down.

Continue Reading

Sport

Hero coach rescues U.S. swimmer at Olympic event

Published

on

U.S. Swimming coach, Andrea Fuentes, has saved the life of an American Swimmer, Anita Alvarez, at the FINA World Championships

Fuentes dived into the pool to rescue unconscious Alvarez from the bottom after her Olympic qualifying event.

In a nightmare moment, the 25-year-old didn’t return for breath after her synchronised swimming event and instead began to sink.

In a split-moment decision, Coach Fuentes jumped into the pool to rescue her, after the lifeguards failed to act.

When a swimmer finishes their routine, the first thing they want to do is breathe and so I saw that instead of going up, she was going down and I told myself, ‘Something is going on’ … So I went in as fast as I could.”

Andrea Fuentes

The young Olympic medalist was unconscious and not breathing but quickly received medical attention on the edge of the pool.

She was taken to hospital and is now reportedly in ‘good health’.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD