Connect with us

Global Politics

Did Indian government ignore deadly COVID warnings?

Published

on

India’s second wave is deadly and frightening. It’s been enough to see countries like the US and Australia close borders to the country.

But now a new report suggests scientists warned Indian officials in March about a new and more contagious variant of COVID19 sweeping the country.

Reuters reports five scientists have come forward – all were part of the panel set up by the government.

Despite the warning, four of the scientists said the federal government did not seek to impose major restrictions to stop the spread of the virus.

Tens of thousands of farmers are camping on the edge of New Delhi protesting Modi’s agricultural policy changes.

The world’s second-most populous country is now struggling to contain a second wave of infections much more severe than its first last year.

Scientists say the spread is being accelerated by the new variant and another variant first detected in Britain. India reported 386,452 new cases on Friday.

The spike in infections is a major crisis for the Indian government.

The next general election is due in 2024. Voting in the most recent local elections was largely completed before the scale of the new surge in infections became apparent.

INSACOG was set up as a forum of scientific advisers by the government in late December specifically to detect genomic variants of the coronavirus that might threaten public health.

INSACOG researchers first detected B.1.617, which is now known as the Indian variant of the virus, as early as February.

The group of scientists claim INSACOG shared its findings with the health ministry’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) before March 10, warning that infections could quickly increase in parts of the country.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Global Politics

Friendlyjordies producer Kristo Langker charged with stalking John Barilaro

Published

on

A 21-year-old producer for YouTube comedian Friendlyjordies arrested and charged by police.

Kristo Langker has been accused of stalking and intimidating NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro.

The arrest comes after the Deputy Premier launched legal action against Mr Shanks who labelled a series of “vile and racist” videos accusing Mr Barilaro of corruption.

Kristo Langker, was arrested at a Dulwich Hill home at about 5pm on June 4, following investigations by NSW Police’s Fixated Persons Investigation Unit.

Mr. Langker was charged with two counts of stalking and intimidation with an intent to cause fear of physical or mental harm.

Mr. Langker was granted strict conditional bail to appear at Newtown Local Court on June 24.

Continue Reading

Global Politics

Report finds nations are spending big on nuclear weapons

Published

on

A new report has found an increase in nations expanding or renewing their nuclear arsenals.

The nine-nuclear armed states totalled over 13 thousands nukes at the start of this year.

But researchers say the reduction of nuclear arsenals since the Cold War is “levelling out”.

The report found nuclear weapons deployed with operational forces increased to nearly 4,000.

Meanwhile, the number of nuclear weapons deployed with operational forces increased from 3,720 to 3,825, the report said.

The nine nuclear-armed states the United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel, and North Korea held an estimated 13,080 nuclear weapons at the start of 2021, The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) said in its annual report released on June 14.

That number represents a slight decrease from an estimated 13,400 weapons in possession of these states at the beginning of 2020.

Of these, some 2,000 were kept in a “kept in a state of high operational alert,” meaning for launch in a matter of minutes.

The report also found global nuclear spending is around $137,000 dollars per minute.

Continue Reading

Global Politics

“Shocking discovery” rocking the white house

Published

on

House Nancy Pelosi says the Trump administration’s move to seize data from two Democrats goes “even beyond Richard Nixon”.

This follows the New York Times reporting that Trump officials have subpoenaed Apple for the data of accounts belonging to Democrats who sit on the House Intelligence Committee.

This is in response to the administration wanting to get to the bottom of who previously leaked classified information.

However, Nancy Pelosi believes “it is about undermining the rule of law”.

“What the administration did, the Justice Department, the leadership of the former President goes even beyond Richard Nixon. Richard Nixon had an enemies list. This is about undermining the rule of law,” Pelosi told CNN.

“How could it be that there could be an investigation of members of the other branch of government and the press and the rest, too, and the attorneys general did not know? So who are these people? And are they still in the Justice Department?

she said.

“This is just out of the question, no matter who’s president, whatever party, this cannot be the way it goes.”

“It’s a shocking discovery”

“This does go beyond Richard Nixon,” Wolpe says.

Swalwell told Don Lemon that the officials and relatives “were targeted punitively — not for any reason in law, but because Donald Trump identified Chairman Schiff and members of the committee as an enemy.”

Wolpe says that this has not happened before, the people are determined to get to the bottom of it.

“It shows the corruption of justice under President Trump, as he went after and tried to undermine his political enemies.”

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2021 Ticker Media Group Pty Ltd