Connect with us

World

“We will not forgive, we will not forget”: US President to ‘hunt down’ ISIS-K for blasts at Kabul airport

Published

on

More than 60 people have died following coordinated terrorist attacks in and around Kabul’s major international airport

  • There have been twin bomb attacks and mass shootings at Kabul’s major international airport as thousands flee following the Taliban takeover
  • The explosions were set off by suicide bombers at the Abbey gate where US and British forces are positioned, as well as at a nearby hotel.
  • It’s believed more than 60 people have died and at least 140 people have been injured

US President Joe Biden has just addressed the press who says the terrorists behind the attacks will pay.

The situation is unfolding by the minute, here’s what we know so far

The Pentagon has confirmed that there have been twin bomb attacks and gunfire at and around the boundaries of Kabul’s major international airport.

It’s believed that the twin bomb attacks were followed by gunman opening fire.

This all comes as the US withdrawal date of August 31 approaches at rapid pace with evacuations continuing.

The first blast was positioned at the Abbey gate, where US and UK special forces have been positioned to safely ferry civilians into the terminal the second blast was at a nearby hotel.

We are hearing reports that at least 60 people have died and 130 are injured as a result of the attacks.

Among these casualties are 11 US Marines and a medic with the blasts and gunfire following warnings that there could be militant attacks.

General Kenneth McKenzie from the US Department of Defence is on the ground in Afghanistan.

In a statement, the US Secretary of Defence Llyod Austin says: “on behalf of the men and women at the Department I express my deepest condolences to the loved ones and teammates of all those killed and wounded in Kabul today.”

Meanwhile, the nation’s evacuation efforts will continue, with General McKenzie saying there are still around 1,000 American citizens still in Afghanistan.

The US believe ISIS is behind the attack and the possibility of further attacks is very likely as officials on the ground remain on high alert

The US is working with the Taliban and sharing information in a bid to prevent any similar attacks in the last few days of evacuations.

The US will not send in any further troops to Afghanistan at this stage and officials believe the Taliban has already helped to prevent some previous attacks.

Around 5,000 people are still at the airport waiting to be evacuated by their respective countries.

Drones and other forms of aerial surveillance are being deployed to monitor the situation and scenes on the ground.

Meanwhile, Britain will continue its evacuation efforts for now, here’s the nation’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson on the delicate situation:

William is an Executive News Producer at TICKER NEWS, responsible for the production and direction of news bulletins. William is also the presenter of the hourly Weather + Climate segment. With qualifications in Journalism and Law (LLB), William previously worked at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) before moving to TICKER NEWS. He was also an intern at the Seven Network's 'Sunrise'. A creative-minded individual, William has a passion for broadcast journalism and reporting on global politics and international affairs.

World

Ukraine war: If Putin engages in nuclear, he is signing his own ‘suicide note’

Published

on

As the Ukraine war lingers on, Ukraine’s military advances are the main focus

UKRAINE WAR – Putin’s inability to align his desired political outcomes with the capacity of his military on the frontline in Ukraine, is more obvious than ever.

Russia no longer has control of any of the provinces it claimed to have “annexed” recently, in fact, it’s quite the opposite on the ground.

The will and determination of the Ukrainian people has been unwavering, despite the atrocities cast upon them by Russia.

Now, Putin’s strategy is flawed. Russia’s losses on the ground are a demonstration of Putin’s inability to match his desired political goals with the capability of his military forces.

So what does the future of the war actually look like from this point forward?

Ticker News spoke with War Correspondent Misha Zelinsky who is on the ground in Kyiv, Ukraine.

He gave a full analysis about the mood in Ukraine, Putin’s next moves and the future strategy of the war.

The mood in Ukraine

Zelinsky spent a lot of time in Ukraine at the beginning of the war and at that point in time, it was a very different war.

In February 2022, Ukraine was fighting Russian intruders without warning and defending their territory, while trying to comprehend why.

Ukrainian towns destroyed at beginning of war
Photo credit: ABC

Now, the Ukraine and its military are in a very different, more well-equiped position to defend their homeland and defeat Russian forces.

Ukraine’s advances on the ground give a more accurate picture of reality, in comparison to any empty unauthorised claim by Russia’s Vladimir Putin.

Zelinksy explained the mood on the ground in Ukraine right now is “one of confidence.”

“The city is alive and buzzing, but there is a lot of sadness… I was speaking with someone who said their Facebook feed reads like an obituary.”

Misha zelinsky, war correspondent

Will Putin resort to nuclear?

The Russian military have recently been humiliated and forced to retreat from several key Ukrainian areas. However, the threat of Nuclear remains are very real one.

Russia are not achieving what Putin wants them too. Leaving many concerned about what Putin will do when backed into a corner.

Many believe Putin is making decisions from a desperate, dangerous and unpredictable place.

“Putin is a reckless gambler.”

misha zelinsky, war correspondent

However, if Putin was to resort to nuclear, how capable is the United States military to detect and respond to this?

The United States warned of “catastrophic consequences” if Moscow were to resort to nuclear warfare.

Zelinsky explained that while Putin’s threats of resorting to nuclear must be taken seriously, he warned that global leaders must not be bullied by the Russian leader.

He said the U.S. have thorough plans in place regarding the threat of nuclear, and that if Putin was to engage in nuclear warfare he would be “signing his own suicide note.”

“I don’t think NATO membership is on the table right now…The United State says ‘not now’… But if Putin continues to escalate other things could come into capacity.”

misha zelinsky, war correspondent

Continue Reading

World

Elon Musk thinks he can end the war in Ukraine

Published

on

Elon Musk thinks he can end the war in Ukraine and a lot of people aren’t happy with his suggestions

Billionaire Elon Musk is under fire after tweeting a poll with his tips on how to end the invasion of Ukraine.

The Tesla CEO believes an election should held in the regions annexed by Russia, supervised by the United Nations. When the vote concludes, Musk believes Russia must leave “if that is the will of the people”.

On the road to “peace” Musk also says annexed Crimea should be formally declared as part of Russia.

He says the region should never have been separated from Russia in the first place, labelling the move “Khrushchev’s mistake”.

But many people have called the suggestions naive, with some saying the billionaire doesn’t understand the situation.

In true form, Ukraine’s outgoing ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, told Musk to “fuck off”.

Lithuania’s President, Gitanas Nausėda, has also made his opinion known.

“Dear @elonmusk, when someone tries to steal the wheels of your Tesla, it doesn’t make them legal owner of the car or of the wheels. Even though they claim both voted in favour of it. Just saying,”Nausėda said.

There were a number of social media users in favour of the Tesla CEO’s plans, with some even praising him for trying to find a peaceful solution.

However, this wasn’t the case for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Ukraine’s leader posted a poll to his personal Twitter account, asking which Elon Musk his followers like more: “one who supports Russia” OR “one who supports Ukraine”.

But Musk hit back again. This time he said Moscow could one day announce a total mobilisation, leading to a “full war” where “death on both sides will be devastating”.

Continue Reading

World

North Korea flies missile over Japan, prompting citizens to rush for shelter

Published

on

North Korea has flown a missile over Japan, prompting authorities to cancel a previous emergency alert

It has been confirmed by multiple sources, that North Korea has flown a missile over Japan, with no warning, prompting authorities to issue urgent warnings.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) and the Japanese coast guard reported on the missile test, which was launched over North Korea’s east coast.

North Korea’s ballistic missile over Japan is the first missile over Japan for the first time in five years.

https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News/status/1577065599670407168?s=20&t=cc8Qg4FxRrqAW91crudalQ

The Japanese emergency alert was advising citizens to seek shelter, and said residents should go to the inside of a building or go to the basement.

The target area for the alert was Hokkaido.

Map of Japan
Credit: Alamy

The missile, likely as part of test, prompted a Japanese emergency alert for citizens in Hokkaido.

Local reports say North Korea might have fired an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and it fell into the sea some 3,000 km (1,860 miles) from Japan.

The Japanese government said it did not use any defence measures to destroy the missile, which was the first to fly over or past Japan from North Korea since 2017.

“North Korea’s series of actions, including its repeated ballistic missile launches, threatens the peace and security of Japan, the region, and the international community, and poses a serious challenge to the entire international community, including Japan,”

Japan’s top government spokesperson Hirokazu Matsuno, said in a brief news conference.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida called North Korea’s actions “barbaric”

South Korea’s defence ministry has also confirmed North Korea launched a missile, heading east.

The test prompted East Japan Railway Co to suspend its train operations in the northern regions, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported.

It’s a major development in the ongoing situation between North Korea and its neighbours. This has never been seen before and is understandably frightening for the people of Japan.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD