Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Shock move for Australia’s Government

Published

on

Barnaby Joyce has reportedly taken over the National Party’s leadership from Michael McCormack

The Nationals whip Damian Drum has confirmed that Barnaby Joyce will be Australia’s new deputy prime minister and leader of the National Party.

The Nationals dumped current deputy PM Michael McCormack despite support from Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Joyce had previously been leader of the Nationals until he resigned in 2018. He stepped down from politics amid a sexual harassment allegation, which was unable to come to any conclusion.

Sexual harassment allegations

This comes after Catherine Marriott lodged a complaint of sexual harassment against the former vice PM, which remains inconclusive.

The NSW Nationals issued a brief statement confirming the party had finalised the investigation, which would remain confidential.

“This outcome simply isn’t good enough,” says Mariott.

Joyce has continued to deny the claims,calling them “spurious and defamatory”.

Catherine Mariott is the Chief Executive Officer of Riverine Plains, an independent farming systems group

Tamil Asylum Seeker family

This comes after Barnaby Joyce slammed his own party over the treatment of the Tamil asylum seeker family, who have been detained in detention for over three years.

Three-year-old Tharnicaa Murugappan was medically evacuated to Perth to be treated for a blood infection last week.

‘Tharnicaa and Kopika were born in Australia,’ he said on Sunrise on Monday. 

‘Maybe if their names were Jane and Sally and they were playing the local netball side, we’d think twice about sending them back to another country which they’re not from.

What’s Barnaby Joyce’s stance on climate?

In 2019, Barnaby Joyce suggested ‘God is the solution to climate change‘, urging Australians to ‘respect God’s plan’.

Joyce was a leading campaigner against the former Labor government’s attempts to tax carbon as a way to bring down Australia’s emissions. He claimed claiming so would ‘send the cost of a Sunday roast to $100.’

“Now you don’t have to convince me that the climate’s not changing, it is changing and my problem’s always been whether you believe a new tax is going to change it back,” he said.

This position comes in contrast to former deputy PM Michael McCormack, who has previously said Australia must “absolutely” take more action on climate.

Natasha is an Associate Producer at ticker NEWS with a Bachelor of arts from Monash University. She has previously worked at Sky News Australia and Monash University as an Online Content Producer.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Shoppers cut back this Black Friday as budgets tighten

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.

Published

on

UK shoppers are tightening budgets for Black Friday, expecting to spend £622—4% less than last year—favoring discounts.


Shoppers across the UK are revising their Black Friday game plan, tightening their budgets as economic pressures reshape spending behaviour. Many are approaching the sales season far more cautiously than before.

Consumers expect to spend an average of £622 this year — a 4% drop from last year — with many relying on discounts and promotions to stretch their budgets. Value is king, with 38% of shoppers saying they’ll only buy items that are at least 50% off.

Rising inflation and income disruptions are adding pressure, and even higher-income households plan to scale back spending across Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Brands and retailers will need to work harder to earn every pound this shopping season.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#BlackFriday2025 #HolidayShopping #ConsumerTrends #CostOfLiving #CyberMonday #RetailNews #ShoppingDeals #UKEconomy


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

National Guard ambush: Afghan man charged after D.C. shooting

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.

Published

on

Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal arrested for shooting two National Guard members; FBI probes potential terrorism link.


An Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, has been arrested after allegedly shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C. Authorities say Lakanwal previously worked with CIA-backed military units in Afghanistan before coming to the United States.

The victims, Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe, remain in critical condition. Officials warn that if either victim dies, the charges could escalate to first-degree murder as the investigation intensifies.

The FBI is now examining the case as a potential act of terrorism, while the Department of Homeland Security has announced a review of all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#WashingtonDC #NationalGuard #BreakingNews #USPolitics #FBIInvestigation #TerrorProbe #AsylumReview #TickerNews


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

News

Hong Kong construction bosses arrested after city’s deadliest fire in decades

Hong Kong arrests construction bosses after deadly fire kills 83; 279 still missing as investigation intensifies.

Published

on

Hong Kong arrests construction bosses after deadly fire kills 83; 279 still missing as investigation intensifies.


Hong Kong has been shaken by the arrest of construction company bosses following the city’s most devastating fire in almost 80 years, which claimed at least 83 lives. The blaze erupted at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Tai Po, where renovation work was underway.

Authorities report that more than 4,600 residents lived in the high-rise blocks, with most victims found within two of the towers. Shockingly, 279 people remain unaccounted for nearly 24 hours after the fire first broke out.

The Hong Kong government has announced a HK$300 million emergency fund to support survivors and affected residents. Meanwhile, police are deepening their investigation, seizing documents and equipment from the company’s headquarters.

Subscribe to never miss an episode of Ticker – https://www.youtube.com/@weareticker

#HongKong #BreakingNews #AsiaNews #FireInvestigation #ConstructionNews #GlobalNews #TickerNews #WorldUpdates


Download the Ticker app

Continue Reading

Trending Now