Connect with us

World

Thousands of people line Hong-Kong streets for last print of Apple Daily

Published

on

Apple Daily has officially published its last paper in the wake of Hong Kong authorities carrying out raids at the publication’s headquarters last week.

More than a million copies of the paper were printed on Thursday, as hoards of people lined up at news agencies and supermarkets across the city-state to get their hands on a copy.

The publication was a leading commentator against Hong Kong and China’s increasing control and leadership.

The UK’s foreign secretary says the paper’s closure is a “chilling blow to freedom of expression in Hong Kong”.

Ronny Tong is a member of Hong Kong’s government and accused the paper of creating a political stunt when deciding to shut down.

He says “people around the world probably will accuse the Hong Kong government of forcing Apple Daily to close down. But the fact of the matter is, they don’t need to”.

World

Deadly stadium collapse at bullfighting event in Columbia

Published

on

At least four people have died, and 500 injured at a bullfighting stadium in Columbia

Videos show a stand collapsing during the event, as emergency workers race to help.

Local media reports that hospitals have begun helping those who were injured.

The nation’s newly-elected President is calling for an end to bullfighting, tweeting that tragedies like this have already happened in the past.

He is urging local authorities to not allow more shows that involve the death of people or animals.

Investigations continue into the cause of the collapse.

Continue Reading

Climate Change

Major disruption in Sydney as climate protesters take to the streets

Published

on

There’s been major disruption across Sydney, as climate protesters take to the streets and block CBD roads

NSW Police officers chased dozens of climate protesters who were seen throwing milk crates, and barricades.

One demonstrator blocked the entry to one of the busiest thoroughfares in the city.

Members from Blockade Australia kicked off the rally by attempting to stop flowing traffic by dragging rubbish bins, construction barriers and building material into the middle of the road.

The Sydney Harbour Tunnel has now reopened but the organisation says it will hold more protests this week.

Continue Reading

World

Prince Charles accepted suitcase with 1 million euros

Published

on

Prince Charles is in hot water for accepting a suitcase with one million euros in cash from a former Qatari leader

The Sunday Times is reporting this was one of three cash donations from former Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani.

Clarence House says the donations were passed onto one of the Prince’s charities, and that all correct processes were followed.

Reports suggest the money was handed over in a duffle bag at Clarence House. While, carrier bags were also used on other occasions.

It’s understood the donations took place between 2011 and 2015.

Continue Reading

Trending on Ticker

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD