Connect with us

World

Six children injured in Colorado shooting

Published

on

Six teenagers have been injured following a mass shooting near a Colorado school

The students aged between 14 to 18 have been hospitalised, after being taken to a Colorado emergency medical centre for treatment.

Authorities believe multiple shooters may have been involved in the incident with all suspects remaining on the run.

The students were shot at Nome Park in the suburb of Aurora, just north of Aurora Central High School, where officials set up a secure perimeter and classes were closed for the day.

Speaking at a press conference shortly after the shooting, Aurora Police Chief Vanessa Wilson said multiple suspects had fled the scene on foot and by car, with gang units investigating.

Scene in lockdown following shooting / Image: ABC

“While all were seriously wounded, their injuries are not believed to be threatening”

ChIf wilson stated.

“I have one child in emergency surgery. I want to thank the school resources officers that were first on scene.

“They applied life saving measures in the form of a tourniquet for the individual that’s in surgery now.”

She said it was “very concerning” not only for the city of Aurora, but the nation as a whole.

Drone footage showed the heavy police presence on the scene, with officers walking through the park to seek evidence.

Aurora Police Chief Vanessa Wilson / Image: USA Today

Colorado no stranger to gun crime

Colorado has become a state where gun crime continues to rise. The state has suffered two of the most infamous mass shootings in United States history.

In 1999, two boys shot and killed 12 classmates and a teacher at Columbine High School.

Then in 2012, a heavily armed man stormed a movie theatre in Aurora, murdering 12. The gunman is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

In March of this year, a gunman killed 10 people, including a police officer at a grocery store in Boulder County, 50 kilometres outside Denver.

Aurora Police Chief Vanessa Wilson says she is “hoping that there’s kids out there that know why this happened. That know what this situation was and can actually share information with us,”

Anthony Lucas is reporter, presenter and social media producer with ticker News. Anthony holds a Bachelor of Professional Communication, with a major in Journalism from RMIT University as well as a Diploma of Arts and Entertainment journalism from Collarts. He’s previously worked for 9 News, ONE FM Radio and Southern Cross Austerio’s Hit Radio Network. 

World

North Korea fires short-range ballistic missile

Published

on

The launch continues a provocative streak in weapons testing as a US aircraft carrier visits South Korea

The launch was detected by South Korean and US militaries, who are currently conducting their annual joint military exercises in the region.

The US aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson is also taking part in the exercises, in a show of force against North Korea’s continued nuclear and missile testing.

North Korea's push to improve the lives of citizens

North Korea’s push to improve the lives of citizens

North Korea has conducted a series of missile and nuclear tests in recent months, despite international condemnation and UN sanctions.

The latest launch comes just days after North Korea test-fired a new type of anti-aircraft missile, and as the US prepares to deploy its THAAD anti-missile system in South Korea.

The US has also sent a naval strike group to the region in a show of force, and is reportedly considering additional sanctions against North Korea.

Continue Reading

World

Super Typhoon Noru smashes into the Philippines

Published

on

Super Typhoon Noru is continuing to strengthen as it approaches the northern Philippines.

The storm is expected to make landfall late Sunday afternoon local time and could bring damaging winds and heavy rains to the region.

Noru is currently a Category 3 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 km/h).

The typhoon is expected to bring heavy rains and strong winds to the Philippines, which could lead to significant damage.

If you are in the path of Super Typhoon Noru, be sure to take all necessary precautions to protect yourself and your property from the storm.

Stay tuned to local news and weather reports for the latest information on the typhoon’s path and expected impacts.

Continue Reading

Tech

Iran cuts internet access over “hijab violation”

Published

on

Iranian authorities say they will restrict internet access in the country until calm is restored to the streets

Protests over the death of a young woman in the custody of the morality police continue to rock the Islamic Republic.

Thousands of Iranians have taken to the streets in protest since the death last week of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was apprehended in Tehran and taken to a “re-education center,” apparently for not wearing her hijab properly.

Amini’s death has sparked outrage among Iranian women, who have long been subject to repressive rules mandating their dress and behavior.

In recent years, the government has stepped up its enforcement of these rules, with morality police attacking women for offenses such as wearing loose headscarves or talking to men in public.

The death of Amini, who was reportedly beaten in custody, has galvanized young Iranians who are fed up with the repression they have faced for their entire lives.

In addition to taking to the streets, they are using social media to spread the word about the protests and to call for an end to the government’s oppressive policies.

It remains to be seen whether the current wave of protests will lead to lasting change in Iran. But one thing is clear: the country’s young people are no longer willing to tolerate the status quo.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD