Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Russia still advancing as Ukraine readies counter-attack

Published

on

Russian forces are still edging forward in the bombed-out eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut

Video released on Tuesday purports to show British Challenger 2 main battle tanks on the ground in Ukraine for the first time.

This footage from Ukrainian Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov shared on social media includes the cabinet official thanking the United Kingdom.

But these tanks will have to do more than trend on Twitter. Ukraine has begged and pleaded for months for advanced weaponry ahead of what is an expected counter-offensive against invading Russian forces occupying swaths of territory in the country’s east.

The U.S. and Nato have promised tanks and artillery in hopes that Ukraine can repeat some of the successes it saw last year in repelling Russian attacks and retaking Russian-held-regions, but that offensive has yet to take shape.

Kyiv and Moscow have spent months locked in bitter combat over the now-shattered eastern city of Bakhmut, a battle both sides have described as a meat grinder, where the front line has barely moved.

A Moscow-installed leader in eastern Ukraine on Tuesday said Russian forces were making gains in Bakhmut.

But in a video released on Telegram, Ukrainian commander Oleksandr Syrskyi said his forces were inflicting heavy losses on Russian attackers in an effort to exhaust the invaders.

Heavy fighting has also moved to town of Avdiivka, a bit to the south, where British intelligence said a Russian tank division had suffered heavy losses.

Video released by Ukrainian police purported to show officers working to evacuate civilians as the front line inched closer.

But residents in nearby Semenivka told Reuters they had no plans to leave. Fifty-six-year-old Elena, who did not give a surname, said “there’s no place to leave for. Where should we go, and how can I leave behind my home? That’s why we’re staying here.”

This seventy-one-year-old said, “Our army is holding up, and so are we. We have hope. We hope and hope that the situation will calm down.”

Both sides are signalling their readiness for even more brutal combat ahead. Moscow on Tuesday released footage of Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu inspecting arms factories, showing munitions being readied for the front.

Russia and Ukraine are both reportedly expending artillery shells at a rate not seen since the Second World War. France’s Defence Minister on Tuesday said it would double its supply of 155 mm shells to Ukraine, to about 2,000 per month.

As expectations of a new offensive build, these Ukrainian recruits this week practiced firing rifles and rocket-propelled grenades under the eye of a Swedish instructor, Magnus Ek.

“Many-many hundreds so far and well, I build from the basics. It’s like you have to sense where the soldiers are because I train both new soldiers that are mobilised, that just got uniform and a gun, we start from day one and also experienced units. It can be mission-related training for some fighters that are pulled out, they need to train on something and they go back to the front line and do that.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Tuesday used the one-year anniversary of what he called the “decisive battles” to recapture territory here in the Sumy Region from Russian forces to rally his countrymen for the expected springtime counter-attack.

He noted the Russian border sat quite close, a border he said “no tyrant will ever manage to erase.”

Ukrainian fighters here pushed back Russian attackers a year ago in an early victory for Kyiv following Moscow’s invasion.

It remains to be seen whether an influx of western tanks, shells, and training will mean Ukraine’s armed forces can do that, again.

Continue Reading

News

TikTok implements stricter guidelines on weight-loss drug promotion

Published

on

TikTok is tightening its regulations on influencers who promote weight-loss drugs like Ozempic.

With over 170 million users in the US, the app aims to prevent the spread of potentially harmful content related to rapid weight loss.

Starting in May, TikTok will prohibit influencers from posting “before-and-after” photos and restrict minors from accessing weight-loss content deemed risky. The crackdown extends to any content promoting drastic weight loss methods, aiming to combat the promotion of unrealistic body standards.

However, some influencers, like Dave Knapp and Kim Carlos, criticise the move, arguing it discriminates against those with health conditions. Others fear losing their income as TikTok takes down their content, prompting concerns about the platform’s future amid potential US bans.

As TikTok enforces stricter guidelines, influencers may seek alternative platforms to share weight-loss content. Despite the popularity of drugs like Ozempic and Wegovy, the crackdown reflects growing concerns about the impact of such promotions on user health.

Continue Reading

News

Game on with indie devs celebrated by Nintendo

Published

on

Nintendo Switch fans rejoice! The recent Indie World Showcase unveiled 17 new titles coming in 2024.

Including in the rundown is the adorable “Little Kitty, Big City” and explosive platformer “Anton Blast.” In other news, “Stellar Blade” confirms an uncensored release on PlayStation 5, Fallout’s TV adaptation gears up for Season 2, and Keanu Reeves joins the cast of Sonic 3 as Shadow. New releases this week include “Tales of Kenzera: Zau” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants,” while “Fallout 4” gets a next-gen update. With “Stellar Blade” topping the list, gamers have plenty to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Continue Reading

News

What are the major takeaways from day one of Trump’s trial?

Published

on

The first day of Donald Trump’s criminal hush money trial that the former president broke the law and corrupted the 2016 election, while his defence lawyer said he committed no crime.

On this episode of Ticker Today – Former President Donald Trump’s hush money trial is officially underway, President Joe Biden makes cannibal claims, TikTok US ban enters the next phase and Gen Z’s are dropping degrees and picking up tools to become blue-collar workers.

Ticker’s Ahron Young and Veronica Dudo discuss.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2024 The Ticker Company