Connect with us

World

Princess Diana remembered 25 years on

Published

on

The United Kingdom is preparing to mark the sombre anniversary of the death of Princess Diana

The world is set to pause on Wednesday to mark the 25 year anniversary since the death of Princess Diana.

The former wife of Prince Charles remains one of the world’s most photographed women.

Diana, Princess of Wales had been dining at the Ritz Hotel in France before she left through a back entrance in a bid to avoid the paparazzi.

French Police said her car was being chased by photographers on motorcycles at the time.

Alongside Emad ‘Dodi’ Fayed, the pair were tragically killed in a motorway underpass.

At the time, surgeons worked on the 36-year-old for hours in a desperate bid to save her life.

How will Britain mark the 25 year anniversary?

It’s unclear if Buckingham Palace will mark 25 years since the passing of Princess Diana.

However, reports have emerged of her two sons, Prince William and Harry marking the occasion privately with their families.

Prince William and Harry mourn the loss of their mother, Princess Diana.

Film director Tim Perkins has spoken about his film, ‘The Princess’, which shares a news perspective of the iconic royal.

“The whole point of this film it is to try to turn the camera back onto all of us, and to force ourselves to ask difficult questions about our relationship to Diana and through that, our relationship to the monarchy and more broadly, to celebrity,” he said.

Flowers are expected to be laid outside Kensington Palace, where a memorial garden was constructed five years ago.

Costa is a news producer at ticker NEWS. He has previously worked as a regional journalist at the Southern Highlands Express newspaper. He also has several years' experience in the fire and emergency services sector, where he has worked with researchers, policymakers and local communities. He has also worked at the Seven Network during their Olympic Games coverage and in the ABC Melbourne newsroom. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Professional), with expertise in journalism, politics and international relations. His other interests include colonial legacies in the Pacific, counter-terrorism, aviation and travel.

Media

Nude Britney Spears post sparks concern among fans

Published

on

A nude Britney Spears post has many fans concerned about her wellbeing

Pop sensation Britney Spears is no stranger to a controversial social media post, where she openly flaunts her body.

However, her latest post to Instagram has many of her beloved followers concerned.

The 40-year-old posted an explicit photo of herself in a near-empty bathtub, with a flower emoji the only thing between the world and her private parts.

It was paired with an unusual captions that read, “I like to suck!!! Never professional pics … sucking comes easy for me!!! Keep clapping bitch!!!”

The icon has 41 million followers on the social media app, many of whom were quick to share their concerns.

Some are suggesting Spears’ account is being controlled by someone else, attempting to make her look bad.

While others backed the pop stars post, supporting her desire to be open with her body image because she struggled during her younger years in the spotlight.

Continue Reading

Climate Change

Why ‘zombie viruses’ could be the next biggest public threat

Published

on

A new report reveals the world will see an increase in so-called ‘zombie viruses’ that are emerging beneath us

A new report by scientists at the French National Center for Scientific Research has revealed the global threat of ‘zombie viruses.’ As climate change continues to take effect, the earth is undeniably getter hotter.

Global warming essentially means significant areas of permafrost are now melting. Permafrost is a frozen layer on or under the Earth’s surface, holding beneath it millions of ‘zombie viruses’ not seen in millions of years.

The now melting permafrost means it is lifting the veil on potentially dangerous microbes that human kind isn’t prepared for.

In Siberia, the scientists uncovered a ‘zombie virus’ which they believe is 50,000 years old. This would be the oldest age of a frozen virus returning to life and able to infect.

Researchers are concerned about the global health impact if the earth continues to warm at its current rate.

 

Continue Reading

World

Australia lowers its terrorism threat level for the first time in nearly a decade

Published

on

Australia’s national terrorism threat level has been lowered but ASIO has warned an attack could still happen

Australia’s national terrorism threat level has been lowered from ‘probable’ to ‘possible’.

However, ASIO has warned a deadly attack could still occur on Australian soil in the next 12 months.

“A decision of this nature is not taken lightly or made casually,” said Mike Burgess, who is the Director General of ASIO.

It is the first time the warning has been lowered since 2014 when radicalised foreign fighters begun travelling to Syria and Iraq to join ISIS and other Islamic terrorist organisations.

Burgess said the threat of terrorism has not been eradicated, and Australia remains a target for terrorist organisations—even within the next 12 months.

“We keep the terrorism threat level under constant review. There can be no set and forget in security intelligence,” he said.

How common is terrorism in Australia?

There have been 11 terrorist attacks on Australian soil since 2014. In addition, 21 plots have been detected and disrupted.

“Thankfully, there have been no attacks or major disruptions this year,” Burgess said.

However, ASIO remains on alert for violent extremists despite “fewer” operating with the intention to conduct an onshore attack.

“Ideologically motivated violent extremism—particularly nationalist and racist violent extremism—remains a threat and its adherents will continue to engage in offensive behaviours.”

MIKE BURGESS, ASIO DIRECTOR GENERAL

ASIO maintains these extremists are likely to focus their attention on recruitment and radicalisation, rather than attacking.

Authorities believe the most likely terrorist attack to occur in Australia will see a lone actor using a basic weapon, like a knife or vehicle.

These attacks can be difficult to detect ahead of time and can occur with little or no warning entirely.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he has confidence in the nation’s security agencies.

“I won’t second-guess them and I won’t comment on their behalf,” he said.

Mr Albanese’s government has led the repatriation effort of Australian women and children linked to ISIS from Syria.

The women and children were assessed by ASIO before they arrived in Australia. The decision to lower the terrorism threat level also considered the unfolding situation.

ASIO said foreign fighters may return from the Middle Eastern conflict zone and could bring “dangerous ideologies and capabilities with them”.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD