Connect with us

World

Paul Sorvino dies: ‘Goodfellas’, ‘Law & Order’ Actor was 83

Published

on

‘Goodfellas’ star Paul Sorvino dies two month after co-star Ray Liotta

Paul Sorvino, who starred in Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas and early seasons of the NBC series Law & Order, died Monday of natural causes after suffering health issues over the past few years. He was 83.

His death was announced by his publicist Roger Neal on behalf of Sorvino’s wife Dee Dee Sorvino, who was at his side when he passed.

Sorvino was born in Brooklyn and started his career as an advertising copywriter in an ad agency while attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy before making his Broadway debut in the 1964.

He made a career out of taking on burly character roles in several films throughout the decades. But Sorvino might be best remembered for starring as ‘Big Pauly’ in Martin Scorsese’s film Goodfellas.

In 1991, he began a 31-episode stint on NBC’s Law & Order.

In his over 50 years in the entertainment business, Sorvino was a mainstay in films and television.

In an April 2014 interview, Sorvino said, “Most people think I’m either a gangster or a cop or something, but the reality is I’m a sculptor, a painter, a best-selling author, many, many things—a poet, an opera singer, but none of them is gangster, but, you know, obviously I sort of have a knack for playing these things.”

Sorvino founded the Paul Sorvino Asthma Foundation, and with wife Dee Dee co-authored the book Pinot, Pasta, and Parties.

Veronica Dudo is the U.S. Correspondent for Ticker News covering America’s biggest headlines. As an Emmy® Award nominated global journalist, Veronica has traveled across the country and around the world reporting on historical events that connect all citizens. Lauded as an award-winning international journalist, Veronica has executed stellar news coverage for NBC News, CBS News, The Hill, ME-TV Network and AOL. Her stories have highlighted a plethora of topics ranging from breaking news and politics to economic affairs across the USA, European Union, and Asia; cultural affairs; globalization; governance; education; and sustainability.

World

North Korea’s five biggest missiles

Published

on

North Korea has flown a missile over Japan for the first time in five years

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris did not mince her words when she paid a visit to the demilitarised zone last week.

“In the North, we see a brutal dictatorship, rampant human rights violations and an unlawful weapons program that threatens peace and stability,” she said.

North Korea’s latest missile launch is the latest in a string of tests following Harris’ visit.

U.S. President Joe Biden spoke with Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida following Tuesday’s long-range missile. The pair condemned the test in the “strongest terms,” as they described it as a danger to the Japanese people.

Associate Professor Tilman Ruff from the University of Melbourne believes the threat of nuclear war has increased.

“This is clearly the time of greatest danger of nuclear war since the at least the Cuban missile crisis.”

North Korea has carried out over 30 missile tests this year, as authorities brace themselves for bigger weapon, which could reach the U.S. east coast.

in response to Tuesday’s test, South Korea and the U.S. fired a string of missiles into the East Sea.

5. The Musudan

The Musudan, or the Hwasong-10 is a medium-range ballistic missile, which has an estimated range of more than 4,000km.

The missile was first tested in October 2016 and is believed to be capable of reaching South Korea and Japan.

4. The KN-08

The KN-08 is a long-range ballistic missile, which boasts an estimated range of more than 6,000km.

While North Korea had two unsuccessful tests of this weapon in 2016, it was successfully tested in 2017.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-Un inspects his weaponry.

3. The Pukguksong-2

The Pukguksong-2 is a medium-range ballistic missile, which has an estimated range of more than 2,000km.

This is a land-based variant of the Pukguksong-1 weapon, which is submarine-launched.

The missile was first tested in February of 2017 and is believed to be capable of reaching South Korea and Japan.

2. The Hwasong-14

The Hwasong-14 is North Korea’s first intercontinental ballistic missile. It is also one of their most powerful missiles, with an estimated range of more than 8,000km.

The missile was first tested in July 2017 and is believed to be capable of reaching New York.

1. The Hwasong-12

The latest missile test over Japanese territory is understood to be an intermediate-range Hwasong-12.

This ballistic missile has an estimated range of more than 4,500km, and is believed to be capable of reaching the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific.

The long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12.

North Korea’s missile tests have risen under the rule of its current leader, Kim Jong-Un. In fact, there have been more test launches this year, than in the previous decade alone.

“If anybody thought that the risk of nuclear war went away with the end of the Cold War, then these current concerns should put an end to any such complacency.”

Associate Professor Tilman Ruff, the University of Melbourne

There are also a range of other weapons in the North Korean inventory, including a nuclear bomb, which is believed to be six times bigger than what the U.S. dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.

Continue Reading

Business

Rolls Royce CEO slams aviation for failing on climate targets

Published

on

Aviation needs to act on net-zero targets, that’s according to the CEO of Rolls Royce

Warren East says the sector needs to move towards bio-fuels like hydrogen and electric aircraft.

Travellers can even look forward to flying on planes that has a gas turbine that’s burning hydrogen.

Speaking at a conference in London, East says transitional technology is the answer that plane-makers are searching for.

Some companies are already looking at sustainable fuels that can offer 80 per cent off carbon emissions across their lifetime.

Continue Reading

World

Damming report reveals China ran smear campaigns against Australia and the U.S.

Published

on

A new report has taken aim at China’s response to a series of riots in the Solomon Islands last year

The new damming report has found China ran a smear campaign against western nations in the Solomon Islands.

After riots back in November 2021, the Chinese Communist Party published a number of false stories, blaming the unrest on Australia and the U.S.

The report says Chinese diplomats intensified their criticisms of western leaders, while state media tried to paint Australia and the U.S. as bullies.

It analysed Chinese state information campaigns in the Solomon Islands over a period spanning 18 weeks.

But the campaign had limited success.

Of the 67 articles published by China, only 11 were shared on public Facebook pages, and this is where the vast majority of Solomon Islanders access their news content.

However, the researchers warn this isn’t an excuse for Australian and American officials to relax.

Urging the two western nations to increase their engagement with media in the Pacific on-cam  to further counter China’s influence in the region before it’s too late.

Continue Reading

Trending Now

Copyright © 2022 The Ticker Company PTY LTD