Connect with us
https://tickernews.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/AmEx-Thought-Leaders.jpg

News

Omicron fears – will the U.S go into lockdown?

Published

on

The US Centre for Disease Control has announced that Omicron is now the dominant strain in America, making up 73 percent of infections as of last week

The World Health Organisation has delivered a Christmas warning… urging people to cancel some of their holiday plans as Omicron spreads.

The head of the organisation says an event cancelled is better than a life cancelled… adding that “difficult decisions” must be made.

The WHO is now convinced the coronavirus variant is spreading faster than the Delta variant, infecting the vaccinated as well as those who have already recovered from covid. 

How is the U.S reacting to this warning?

According to the CDC, we know that Omicron is now the dominant strain in America.

In fact omicron now makes up 73 per cent of infections as of last week.. with more than 650 thousand omicron cases

Since the end of June, the Delta variant had been the main version causing US infections… but certainly not anymore.

The Biden administration says the nation will not be locking down despite the spread of Omicron

CDC Director says the new numbers reflect the kind of growth seen in other countries.

She says these numbers are stark, but they’re not surprising

The virus has since shown up in about 90 countries, even though a-lot of the Omicron variant remains unknown, including whether it causes more or less severe illness.

CDC data showing Omicron overtaking delta is not just happening in the US, similar infection rates are being seen in South Africa, the UK and Denmark.

Many authorities are predicting a huge spread over the holidays, including breakthrough infections among the vaccinated and serious complications among the unvaccinated that could stress hospitals.

Continue Reading

News

Big tech caught in political drama

Published

on

Nine Google employees were escorted out of company offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California, following a sit-in protest against a cloud contract with Israel’s government.

The protest in Sunnyvale targeted Thomas Kurian’s office, CEO of Google’s cloud division, while in New York, it occupied a common area on the tenth floor.

Videos showed Google security staff and local police involved in the removal. Four workers in New York and five in Sunnyvale were reportedly detained, but details of any charges remain unverified.

 

The protest aimed to pressure Google to drop a $1.2 billion cloud computing contract known as Project Nimbus, citing concerns about its involvement with the Israel Defense Forces.

The protesters included software engineers and activists from groups opposing tech contracts with Israel. This incident reflects ongoing activism within tech companies regarding political issues, such as Israel’s actions in Gaza.

Continue Reading

News

Antitrust concerns arise for streaming sports venture

Published

on

U.S. lawmakers Jerry Nadler and Joaquin Castro expressed competition concerns regarding the planned sports streaming joint venture involving Walt Disney, Fox, and Warner Bros Discovery.

They addressed these concerns in a letter to the CEOs of the media companies, questioning the impact on access, competition, and choice in the sports streaming market.

Voicing apprehension about potential consumer price hikes and unfair licensing terms for sports leagues and distributors, they requested responses by April 30, urging the companies to also send their replies to the Department of Justice.

Despite the companies’ announcement in February of launching a joint sports streaming service in the autumn to attract younger viewers, the deal faces DOJ scrutiny and an antitrust lawsuit from FuboTV. While Disney and Warner Bros remained silent on the matter, Fox declined to comment.

The joint venture encompasses a broad range of professional and collegiate sports rights, including NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA World Cup, and college competitions, offering non-exclusive access to sports networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports 1, and TNT via a new streaming app.

Continue Reading

News

Trump trial: will the jury selection impact the trial’s outcome?

Published

on

The Trump hush money trial has progressed with the selection of the first seven jurors, marking a significant step in the legal proceedings.

  • Seven jurors were selected

  • Defense and prosecution lawyers questioned potential jurors for impartiality

  • The judge warned lawyers he would not tolerate disruptions after he said Former US President Donald Trump audibly muttered during a prospective juror’s questioning

The selection of jurors is a crucial step in ensuring a fair trial, as they will ultimately decide Formers US President Donald Trump’s fate in this legal battle, as reported by Reuters.

The process of jury selection involves careful vetting of potential jurors to ensure impartiality and fairness.

Each juror’s background, beliefs, and potential biases are scrutinised to ensure they can render an impartial verdict based solely on the evidence presented in court.

With seven jurors already chosen, the selection process is expected to continue as both the prosecution and defence seek individuals who can objectively weigh the evidence.

Continue Reading
Live Watch Ticker News Live
Advertisement

Trending Now

Copyright © 2024 The Ticker Company